Author Topic: Benzo free after 44 years  (Read 6262 times)

[Buddie]

Benzo free after 44 years
« on: December 10, 2018, 09:09:29 am »
So, after 44 years of Valium dependency, I finished an ~ 1.5 year taper in October 2015.  I finally decided it was time to post this. Save occasional intermittent tinnitus, I'm totally fine. Have been for some time. No other withdrawal symptoms.

Some anxiety for which the Valium was initially prescribed seems to have returned. I began CBT therapy for that in August of 2017, and am doing well. Not sure why I waited so long to make this post, maybe I just wanted to feel pretty good overall or maybe I wanted to wait till tinnitus was nearly non-existent. From a strictly withdrawal-symptoms perspective, I could have posted a while ago. 

I [...] this post serves as encouragement that, even after a long time on benzos, you can be totally free. But please, do not ever try to rush it. Take as long as you need; time is on your side.

I am eternally grateful to Benzobuddies, and the taper-mates I had along the way. I have just re-read some of the posts from early on. Amazing camaraderie and love. I wouldn't have made it without you.

Love,

[...]

Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Benzo free after 44 years
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 11:02:44 am »
Congratulations [...]!  Thank you for coming back to post.  Happy you have your life back.  Did you suffer from insomnia and how did that resolve for you over time?  Thank you.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 01:10:15 pm »
What a success story after 44 years.  That is amazing, thank you so much for posting.  Slow is my middle name, only way I can keep tapering.  Good luck to you and thanks again!! Love, [...] ☮️💜🙏🎄🐕🐾

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 03:12:39 pm »
Oh wow!  [...] Iím really happy for you.  Thank you so much for sharing your status.  What a journey!  Happy benzo free life!

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 04:58:55 pm »
Congratulations, and thank you for coming back to post! I wish you all the best.

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 05:04:27 pm »
Congratulations [...]!

Can I ask if you had a lot of muscle and pain problems?

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 04:01:06 am »
Massive congratulations!

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 04:58:08 am »
Hey, [...], so nice to hear from you! And congratulations from one of your taper-buddies! Love 'ya,

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 07:30:40 am »
Congratulations [...]!  Thank you for coming back to post.  Happy you have your life back.  Did you suffer from insomnia and how did that resolve for you over time?  Thank you.

Hi [...]!

I almost forgot how it felt to exchange notes with a fellow buddie.

I began my taper while going through tolerance withdrawal, and potentiating my Valium with alcohol just to get an hour or 2 sleep each [...].

As a result of this, my [...] put me on gabapentin and trazodone to prevent me from continuing this deadly combination, which I had not realized was deadly. (For anyone reading this, people *have* died. I was informed that Thomas Kinkade had recently died from this combination and from that day on, I never mixed again and considered myself lucky.)

This helped mildly, and throughout my taper I slept ok'ish. Insomnia on and off. Never got REALLY good sleep and never felt really rested.

Right now, writing this post is the first time I've realized I don't seem to have insomnia. And it has been quite a while. I am slowly tapering off those meds.

Looking back, I'd say that my sleep gradually improved over the course of weeks and months, and at some point after about 6 months, I stopped having what I'd label as insomnia.

There is a great book that I have used while having insomnia and which helped a great deal. "No More Sleepless Nights." Unlike other books, it is not dogmatic, realizes we are all different, and discusses different ways to get sleep.

I wish you all the best, and please free to PM me if you want more info.

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 07:36:02 am »
Hey, [...], so nice to hear from you! And congratulations from one of your taper-buddies! Love 'ya,

[...]

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy [...]!

So great to hear from you. No joke brought a tear to my eye.

Actually, one seemingly permanent "symptom" for me, if you wanna call it that, is becoming emotional at the drop of a hat. THIS is NOT said drop of a hat. It is wonderful hearing from you!

Love ya back,

[...]