Vodka as solvent for Temazepam???

[Ce...]

If I want to use vodka as a solvent for Temazepam, do I need to measure the vodka? Can't I just open the 30 mg capsule, just put a tiny bit of vodka over it to dissolve it? Then add enough water to make 100mls?  I need to make a 100mls solution, I worked out a taper plan for 10% reduction over a month.

Temazepam is listed as "sparingly soluble" in alcohol.  I would recommend using propylene glycol, 2ml per mg of temazepam.

There is an Rx liquid temazepam availibe in UK which uses PG as a solvent.

Thanks Builder.

I see most benzos are not water soluble yet many do the water taper just making sure they get all the particles? I read a long thread yesterday where they used full fat homogenized milk,not stir to avoid a vortex a effect, could this be tried with Temazepam? I ask because I don't want to ingest propylene glycol. Or try 2 ml.vodka per 30mg Temazepam?  I appreciate the help. The idea is to keep the particles suspended ling enough to remove your taper amount? Thank you!

You probably ingest PG everyday.  Its in toothpaste, and thousands of food products.  For some brands, its already an ingredient in the temazepam  tablet.*

If you want to use vodka, I would suggest you double the ratio to 4ml per mg to ensure better dissolution.

Common benzos are NOT water soluble.  That's an established fact of physical science.  When you drop a tablet in water and it disintegrates, what actually is happening is the inactive binders dissolve and allows the other particles to deconstruct and the tablet falls apart.  Some of the other inactive ingredients will probably also dissolve, but the active ingredient temazepam will NOT dissolve, and will NOT be uniformly distributed.

* "May also include: n-butyl alcohol, FD&C Blue #1/Brilliant Blue FCF Aluminum Lake, iron oxide red, isopropyl alcohol, propylene glycol, shellac, shellac glaze, SD-35A alcohol, SD-45 alcohol."

https://www.rxlist.com/restoril-drug.htm

Thanks so much. Worth a shot. If I can get my hands on propylene glycol tho, it would be 2ml to dilute a 30mg Temazepam?  Definitely need to know all this info because my docs don't have a clue. Thanks again! For both solvents, I would use water to make up the 100mls?

Do you know if I can post a taper plan to see if I have it right?

PG is readily available from Amazon, and can sometimes be found at major pharmacies.  If you use PG, then 2ml per mg will work.  Then dilute with water to whatever ratio you choose.

builder you have been more than helpful! I did see it on Amazon and you're right. What's worse .. Temazepam or a little propylene glycol which is on toothpaste!   

If I could run this by you.....100mls water removing 1 ml a night for a week, 2nd week 2ml a night, 3rd week 3ml a night, 4th week 4ml a night over a period of 4 weeks would be a 10%taper?  The 2nd month, you would remove 10mls directly from the 100mls and then start over, removing 1ml, 2ml..etc?? Next month you would remove 20mls and start over and so on??

Week 1 you would be reducing 1%/week, week 2 you would be reducing 2%/week, week 3 you would be reducing 3%/week, etc.  That's really a cut&hold taper, NOT a microtaper.  Also, you would be increasing your % taper rate each week...not a good thing.

And TBH, the whole "pull and discard" thing is a wasteful, labor-intensive, silly way to take any med. ::)  If your doc gave you a scrip for a liquid med, and the dosing instructions were "take 10 tsp the first day, then reduce the dose by 1 tsp each day", I think you would just measure out and drink  10 tsp day 1, 9 tsp day 2, 8 tsp day 3, etc...

Tell me what taper rate (% per week, or % per 10 days) that you want to use, and what size tablets you have, and I will give you a plan.

Builder, thanks. I would appreciate all the help.  I was thinking 10% every 2 weeks?  I have never done this before. I just read the Ashton manual. Would a microtaper be better? I am not sure how to go about a microtaper?  I did read something about 300mls of water, remove 1ml a day then 2ml, etc?

I have 30 mg capsules if Temazepam.  I have been on it for

about 3 months only taking at bedtime. I have tinnitus. My doc cut me in half to 15 mg for one night and my tinnitus went nuts!

I appreciate all you can provide. I really don't know the best way to get off this fast and safely.

builder you have been more than helpful! I did see it on Amazon and you're right. What's worse .. Temazepam or a little propylene glycol which is on toothpaste!   

If I could run this by you.....100mls water removing 1 ml a night for a week, 2nd week 2ml a night, 3rd week 3ml a night, 4th week 4ml a night over a period of 4 weeks would be a 10%taper?  The 2nd month, you would remove 10mls directly from the 100mls and then start over, removing 1ml, 2ml..etc?? Next month you would remove 20mls and start over and so on??

fyi: The F.D.A. has strict regulations/guidelines re: the manufacturing/use of propylene glycol in food & medications. You can find these regulations here: FDA Guidelines for Proprolene Glycol

Here is a: informative post with more information to help you make an informed decision whether or not to use

propylene glycol as your solvent.

btw- the acceptable ratio would be approximately 1.5 - 2% of your solution. This is according to FDA regulations.

Builder, thanks. I would appreciate all the help.  I was thinking 10% every 2 weeks?  I have never done this before. I just read the Ashton manual. Would a microtaper be better? I am not sure how to go about a microtaper?  I did read something about 300mls of water, remove 1ml a day then 2ml, etc?

I have 30 mg capsules if Temazepam.  I have been on it for

about 3 months only taking at bedtime. I have tinnitus. My doc cut me in half to 15 mg for one night and my tinnitus went nuts!

I appreciate all you can provide. I really don't know the best way to get off this fast and safely.

Combine 150mg + 300ml PG + 1200ml water.  This gives you 1500ml liquid, .1mg per ml, approx a 5 day supply.*

Here's a dose schedule for 10% per 15 days:

30mg X 10% = 3mg

3mg/15 days = .2mg day.  This is your daily cut rate

Schedule:

30mg                300ml

29.8mg              298ml

29.6mg              296ml

29.4mg              294ml

Just lower your dose by 2ml (.2mg) each day.

*  I usually recommend a 10-14 day supply, but because of the high mg/dose ratio for temazepam, such a large volume seems a little inconvenient.  And folks on high doses of benzos like diazepam can do combos of tablets + liquid, which makes it possible to work with smaller liquid volumes.  But the characteristics of this benzo kinda limits our options.

Yes, I'm always amazed that so many folks are taking a drug they know to be toxic, that's causing them known damage, but obsess about the suitability of a proven method to taper off of the drug.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure a little PG is a better option than  continuing to take a benzo.  :thumbsup:

JMHO

fyi: The F.D.A. has strict regulations/guidelines re: the manufacturing/use of propylene glycol in food & medications. You can find these regulations here: FDA Guidelines for Proprolene Glycol

Here is a: informative post with more information to help you make an informed decision whether or not to use

propylene glycol as your solvent.

btw- the acceptable ratio would be approximately 1.5 - 2% of your solution. This is according to FDA regulations.

Those guidelines are for PG as a food additive.  No part of those guidelines address PG as a pharma solvent.

"FOOD ADDITIVES PERMITTED FOR DIRECT ADDITION TO FOOD FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION"

"The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends a maximum consumption of 25 mg/kg/day (1. 8 g/day for a 75 kg male) of propylene glycol when used as a food additive, but this limit does not address its use as a drug solvent."

https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/1_2-propanediol#section=Top

The guidelines for pharma uses are specific to individual products, but 40% is used for many common liquid meds (cough/cold remedys, OTC pain relievers, etc) IM/IV injectibles are pretty standard at 40%.

https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/1_2-propanediol#section=Top

"The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends a maximum consumption of 25 mg/kg/day (1. 8 g/day for a 75 kg male) of propylene glycol when used as a food additive, but this limit does not address its use as a drug solvent."

What is the difference if it is in foods or drugs ???  you are still ingesting the same volume...good lord....

Talk about ignorance...let the reader decide for themselves... 

What is the difference if it is in foods or drugs ???  you are still ingesting the same volume...good lord....

Well, I guess the FDA thinks it makes a difference.

And at 1.8 G per day, I don't think there's much danger of anyone overdosing on PG while doing a DLMT with PG as a solvent. ::)

So I just provided a little more info, so readers can make a more informed decision.

Well, I guess the FDA thinks it makes a difference.

And at 1.8 G per day, I don't think there's much danger of anyone overdosing on PG while doing a DLMT with PG as a solvent. ::)

So I just provided a little more info, so readers can make a more informed decision.

It's not just about overdosing. There are other issues as well...calculating the limits of 23mg/k body weight limit NOT necessarily 1.8G per day(this is an average for a 150lb person) A 80lb woman could take approx. 836mg per day NOT 1.5G. Also factoring in any other products a person consumes day to today that contain PG (as you state "it is in everything" .There are a lot of variables and folks should be informed. You minimize this then make exaggerated, snarky, condescending remarks and I do not appreciate them nor will I tolerate then Builder.

Much of my activity here on BB is about sharing accurate, substantiated  info (often with links to trustworthy sources)  to help folks find suitable protocols.  You posted a link purported to provide guidelines for medical uses of PG  ("...use of propylene glycol in food & medications.[/i]", which in fact makes no reference to PG in meds or as a pharma solvent.  And I followed up with detailed, documented material.  So do we really want to talk about "exaggerated...remarks"? ::).  And this is the 2nd time in the past week you have threatened to ban me (for sharing ifno about the simple nature of using liquid for a taper) 

My style may be direct, but it is NOT condescending.  And I certainly have never threatened anyone here.

BTW, if 836mg of PG is the "safe" limit for an 80 lb woman, then using the recommended 2ml per mg for a solution, then no one is at risk unless they are on more than 400mgs of benzo.  Looks pretty safe to me.

I, for one, appreciate Builder's contributions.  He is one of the most knowledgeable people here and is the one directly responsible for me being able to incorporate liquid Diazepam into my taper.  When I had questions about switching over, he set me straight in no uncertain terms.    He did not sugarcoat anything and called me on it when I made a stupid remark.  In the end it was appreciated.  Before I incorporated liquid Diazepam I was really suffering amd am doing much better now.

Everyone's contributions are appreciated. Guys, please don't fight. You both provided information on the subject and it is all helpful. Since Jim isn't around as much, you two are kind of the only "elders" around here. We need you both. A lot of tone can be misconstrued in text. When disagreeing with someone, especially disagreeing about something that is important to you, it is not hard to accidentally come across as condescending, or dismissive, or just generally disrespectful. But I try to give the benefit of the doubt and assume that people's hearts must be in the right place to be spending time helping others for very little reward. Thank you both for what you do.

This was my post and I am completely new to tapering and the group. I am so glad others have chimed in on my post. I agree as well, Builder has been very helpful with his insight and replies. Also, for Bella's guidance on information that has been posted. Kind of a safety net to make sure we have all the info we need. I guess what I am saying is I am very glad to have all information so that I can make an informed decision. I agree with the comments too. Let's not dispute. Getting out if Benzo Hell is hard enough. I know I certainly appreciate everyone's help and input no matter what it is. We all have to think for ourselves in the end and decide what works. Vodka as an option is helpful! Thanks all for help and concern. It's truly amazing that a forum like this even exists! :hug::clap: