My life since I've started tapering off benzos.

[fl...]

Hello =)

I've just found this website yesterday because it was recommended on a youtube video, and I am very glad I'm here.

I've been taking lorazepam for about 12 years now, and had been taking at least 25mg a day; more if necessary.

I started tapering (or, the hospital did) almost 4 weeks ago now, and am now taking 5mg spread throughout the day (1.5mg in the morning, 1mg in the evening and 2.5mg at night).

Needless to say, my body is in complete shock, since the hospital only gave me 10mg from the usual 25 my first night there, and continued to lower the dose for the next 9 days to 6.25mg / day.

That's when I was allowed to leave that hospital and go to a different one that focuses on withdrawal and how to live without your (legal) drug of choice. They put me back on 7.5mg because I was doing so badly, and I'm now down to 5mg.

I feel like the less I'm taking, the more severe (at least the psychological) withdrawal is; my main issues are now shaking and insomnia, and that really messes with my brain.

I have to stay for at least another 10 weeks; longer if I still need benzos by then, which wouldn't be so bad, except I'm not allowed to go anywhere further than the clinic area as long as I'm still on benzos

But yeah, I do get a LOT of support here, which is brilliant. I know I would never have managed by myself  and would have relied heavily on those to get me through).

It's still awful and I know I'm a long way off from being benzo-free and then being able to live the life I want, but I'm very glad I took the first steps.

Can't think of anything else right now but feel free to ask!

Thanks,

Flora

Hello  floraj :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies!

We are glad you joined, we have a great community, you will get plenty of support here.  I am sorry that the hospital failed to give a sufficient amount, it sounds like you have been tapering quite fast.  The rule of thumb is to reduce the daily dose by somewhere between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days.  Some members need to taper slower, whatever feels comfortable, the aim is to try to keep symptoms manageable.

I would suggest that you familiarise yourself with the Ashton Manual, It is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  It provides tapering and withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

You will find some very valuable support and information on the forum.  Our members are happy to share their personal experiences with you and support you.. Please feel free to browse the boards and post questions to any of the dedicated threads.

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support

General Taper Plans

Insomnia, is a very common withdrawal symptom. I think its one of the worst benzo WD symptoms, for so many of us.

Insomnia 

Please take time to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

Thank you so much for the lovely welcome!

I'm not happy with the tapering they're doing at all; the only reason I'm going along is because I'm at an addiction treatment center, and you're not allowed to leave the premises until you're completely benzo-free (most people are here for alcohol and only get benzos for about a week to help with withdrawal - even if I stick to the plan, I'd still have to wait another month until I'm allowed to go out, and I feel very locked up, esp. since everyone else is allowed to go home on weekends or for a day trip). and I know I'd fall back to my old habits if I went home, so I don't feel like there is much of a choice.

I've read through the posts a bit and found pretty much all of my symptoms and issues in other posts, so it's just a great relief that I'm not the only one feeling like this, and that others have had the same issues. I feel very alone sometimes, because even though other people try and be helpful and have been through (say, alcohol) withdrawal, they have no idea how it can still be this bad for me, and I'm not even completely benzo free.