10 percent taper

[an...]

I am mathematically challenged.  I am tapering off of Clonazepam (not switching over to diazepam). Do we taper 10% of our original amount or 10% off the new amount we are on each time?  It's such a small amount with the Clonazepam, but I found a compounding pharmacy that will do it and probably can help with this question but I am wondering just for planning ahead.  Also, is there a .125 disintegrating tablet?

I am mathematically challenged.  I am tapering off of Clonazepam (not switching over to diazepam). Do we taper 10% of our original amount or 10% off the new amount we are on each time?  It's such a small amount with the Clonazepam, but I found a compounding pharmacy that will do it and probably can help with this question but I am wondering just for planning ahead.  Also, is there a .125 disintegrating tablet?

The new amount every 10 - 14 days.

Here is a program where you can Create Your Own Taper Plan by Jim Hawk It may be helpful if you check out the Help function prior to using the program.

If you need more help just ask ...we are here for you!  :thumbsup:

• 5 weeks later...

Hey angelight!

Yes, there are orally disintegrating tablets in 0.125 strength. There is one made by PAR (which is what I am using ), they weigh 100 MG each on a scale. The other ones are made by Roche, I think? They make brand Klonopin. Those weigh 125 MG each (approximately, according to another buddy) on the scale. Either way, much easier to taper with than the 0.5 tablets.

As far as your taper and calculating percentages, there are different ways to do it, and different things work for different people. The point of adjusting percentage to dose as you go down is so that your cuts don't get too big. The brain and body seem to respond more the higher the percentage of drug is removed from the body. So, removing 0.125 mg from your daily dose when your daily dose is 1.5 mg (8.3% cut) will not affect you the same as removing 0.125 mg from a 0.50 mg daily dose (a 25% cut).

However, if you start with small cuts, you do not necessarily need to adjust the percentage every time, because the percentage may be going up slowly. Therefore you could adjust periodically, if you wanted, to avoid the danger zone (which is different for everyone but many are symptomatic above 10% every 2 weeks).

Another thing to consider is that you don't have to apply the cut all at once. Even with a dry taper, if you are working with enough weight (which you are if you have the 0.125 odt tabs), you can easily reduce a tiny bit every day or every other day and have it equal up to let's say 8% over 14 days, but without having it be such a sudden change. Don't know what your plan is from here but if you need any help let me know! Good luck!