WD PTSD?

[id...]

When a person is in a traumatic situation that they are unable to escape, they often develop PTSD.

For example, children who live with abusive parents usually struggle with flash back as adults and have other mental health problems.

War veterans who live in environment when they don't know if they're going to live or die the next moment, suffer greatly when they return to safety.

Did anyone experience WD PTSD? Or felt like their body is an abusive villain, who's there to torture them? Anybody feels like this WD is prison without possibility to escape?

Yes. I believe strongly I have ptsd. Being locked up in the mental hospital withdrawaling. Nurses treating me like nothing trying to force me to eat. Being completely depersonalized. Being trapped in my parents room for days on end panicking and throwing up. Having to drop out of nursing school, loosing my job in the hospital.. Missing my sons childhood. Loosing my hair and agoraphobic. How will I ever gain control of my life? I feel like I have nothing to live for anymore .

My doctors are blaming my post health withdrawl symptoms to anxiety and childhood ptsd. I blame my health symptoms to the chronic bnz use over 10 years. I blame my ptsd to medical induced ptsd from the drug and the way the medical professionals have treated me.

Yes, I currently am seeing a therapist who says i have ptsd, and she thinks it has been brought on by withdrawal.  So my husband and I have completely different memories of the same experiences.  Mostly with him saying," but it wasn't that bad".  My therapist says that t doesn't really matter how anyone else remembers something, and that if it was traumatic for you, you have to process it as that. 

I don't think I have PTSD, but I would not be surprised if people who experienced benzo withdrawal had PTSD rates similar to war veterans. Doctors would be amazed. Someone should do a study :) Then maybe people will be taken seriously.

If you are still going through trauma it's not PTSD! I've been through traumatic moments but nothing compares to the withdrawal and post withdrawal symptoms that have been nothing short of paralyzing!

I think so. Have you experience hallucinations, chemical anxiety and other horrible symptoms for months and years, then you are extremely stressed. The brain, and the nervous system, are always on the highest level. Then, I absolutely belive, you suffer from PTSD. Maybe that's why, many are suffering for several years?  /Anna

I think PTSD is a component of this syndrome to some in protracted withdrawal, and/or those that have had a severe acute withdrawal/cold turkey experience.

Yeah, agree with a lot said here. Also it is my experience that therapists are generally not skilled at helping with ptsd... let alone trauma and ptsd caused by a hugely unrecognized and misunderstood syndrome.

The help and validation is just not there, benzobuddies is the only real support I have found.

[b8...]

to some small degree i really think i have, though i think itll subside as time goes on.

when i think on how bad its been for so long, how poisoned and unbelievably tense ive felt, i think that i may not get through this health intact, and thinking of the last three years gives me chills and an unsettling feeling.

this has been the profound experience of my life.

i now realize ive had a relatively easy go of things until this experience.

Because we don't get the support that other people get for diseases, we tend to feel very much alone. For most of us, our only support is here on BB. Benzo WD can be quite traumatic for a few people. NOT everyone, but a chosen few will have such an awful withdrawal they can have PTSD. I am one of those people. Going through several years of utter horror and misery will cause PTSD.

Okay. Now, having said that, I will say that it is up to US to gently cure that hurt. PTSD IS a wounded soul, a person who has been through things SO painful and scary that their very soul becomes wounded. For some people, getting into some mindful therapy helps. Others, like me, muddle though on our own. My PTSD has slowly faded, once I was fully healed. A couple remnants remain, but I keep them under control and do not let them scare me. You just cannot let this crap affect you forever! You have a life to live, people and pets you love, work, taking care of your home no matter how humble it I Love does make it all worthwhile.

Hang in there, friends. It does get better.

east

Because we don't get the support that other people get for diseases, we tend to feel very much alone. For most of us, our only support is here on BB. Benzo WD can be quite traumatic for a few people. NOT everyone, but a chosen few will have such an awful withdrawal they can have PTSD. I am one of those people. Going through several years of utter horror and misery will cause PTSD.

Okay. Now, having said that, I will say that it is up to US to gently cure that hurt. PTSD IS a wounded soul, a person who has been through things SO painful and scary that their very soul becomes wounded. For some people, getting into some mindful therapy helps. Others, like me, muddle though on our own. My PTSD has slowly faded, once I was fully healed. A couple remnants remain, but I keep them under control and do not let them scare me. You just cannot let this crap affect you forever! You have a life to live, people and pets you love, work, taking care of your home no matter how humble it I Love does make it all worthwhile.

Hang in there, friends. It does get better.

east

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: 

I recently read a book on PTSD entitled, "The Body Bears The Burden" by Dr. Robert Scaer.  He says you can develop PTSD from any threat to one's well-being when the threat is combined with a state of helplessness. He works with people who develop PTSD after experiencing an automobile accident.

This is his definition of trauma:

"I define trauma as a threat to life. And of course that can be

something much less than one would think as opposed to rape,

warfare, incest or horrible sources of things we acknowledge as trauma.

It may be any situation where one is faced with a threat to one’s

well-being, one’s survival. And that can be like losing a job, and a situation that is

combined with a state of helplessness where one has no control over that

event."

You might want to read an online interview with him at:  http://media.thrivingnow.com/audio/Scaer-Trauma.pdf

Depibs, that's very interesting and it in line with what my therapist said as well.  It's in how you perceive it, not what really happened.  Kind of like if you are scared by something that is actually harmless, your body reacts as scared and even when you find out there's nothing there to be scared of, it takes some time to calm down from that.