Coming off keto- OUCH

[...]

A certain percentage of the brain will always use glucose even on in a ketotic state. But 60 or 70% of your brain will use ketones for fuel when you are adapted. I find it interesting that all infants are naturally in ketosis while they breast feed.

Ajusta,

I'm exactly like what you have described in sugar compulsion.Nothing stopped this for me except eating zero carb (carnivore) ....and I tried every possible combination,diet,etc. Even a tiny taste of sweet or an iota of too much carb starts an avalanche of intense cravings,very bizarre! Good luck to you in discovering what will halt it for you.

Soup

Hi,

I presume that, like me, you didn’t have this problem before WD? IDo you also have constant hunger all day every day and no sensation of feeling full however much you eat. I am literally like a ravenous, bottomless pit. I can hardly think of anything else. It is horrendous. I am finding it very distressing.

This alongside a severe loss of adipose tissue has me very frightened that the severe stress of WD has caused acquired lypodystrophy. If that is the case the Keto diet seems to be the worst thing I could do.

I am either not producing any Leptin or my brain can’t process it.

Ajusta,

I'm exactly like what you have described in sugar compulsion.Nothing stopped this for me except eating zero carb (carnivore) ....and I tried every possible combination,diet,etc. Even a tiny taste of sweet or an iota of too much carb starts an avalanche of intense cravings,very bizarre! Good luck to you in discovering what will halt it for you.

Soup

Hi,

Do you also have constant hunger all day every day and no sensation of feeling full however much you eat. I am literally like a ravenous, bottomless pit. I can hardly think of anything else. It is horrendous. I am finding it very distressing.

This alongside a severe loss of adipose tissue has me very frightened that the severe stress of WD has caused acquired lypodystrophy.

I am either not producing any Leptin or my brain can’t process it.

Ajusta,

I was exactly like what you describe,it was horrible.I was like a zombie watching myself but unable to stop.I resumed eating strictly zero carb (only animal products and water.High fat,moderate protein,no carbs) and that shut that nightmare down instantly.

I can eat a little bit of carb in the evening for tryptophan driver but have to be very cautious even with that as it starts up cravings sometimes.I can add in some non animal fats like nuts,avocado,olives without a problem so far.

Still exploring what high fat items I can add that don't trigger,still exploring the items I can use in the evening that have enough carbs but not enough to trigger.

Soup

Thank you!

Sorry to go on but can you clarify that you had no feeling at all of fullness however much you ate - no feeling of distension, no feeling of satiety and just constant intense desire to eat every moment of the day.

I find the idea of no veg at all very hard. I was veggie for years and then introduced chicken and fish but still ate a lot of veggie meals prior to this.

I also have terrible constipation, which didn’t even have when on opiates for pain, since WD.

How long did the no carb at all diet take before your hunger, cravings left?

Also I have severe loss of adipose tissue throughout body despite weight gain over last year. All my skin is loose, hanging down.  What about you?

Leptin is the hormone which creates satiety is made in adipose tissue. Grehlin creates hunger.

As far as I can work out the vagus nerve tells the brain there is food in stomach by transferring hormonal signal to brain.

I literally have no internal sensation in stomach of either hunger or feeling food in stomach. Also lost other internal sensations - can’t feel pain in bowels even with constipation or wind which always have in past. Had period pain for decades - now nothing...

I hope it is just the disruption of signalling rather than complete lack of production of Leptin.

I can’t bear the thought of this going on much longer.

Prior to WD I lost 112lbs doing low-carb Paleo diet- it was easy and I planned to do it for the rest of my life. I felt full really easily, ate one proper meal a day and just small healthy snacks for breakfast and lunch. I had been pre-diabetic and that was all resolved as well.

Just totally distraught about this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Thought I would update this.

I’m considering going back to a low carb diet.

I’m having some problems with carbs. I believe at first- eating carbs was helping with sleep, mood,  and adrenal fatigue, but I’m still having a lot of anxiety and revved up symptoms after eating carbs. Especially about an hour after eating when my glucose leveles are really high. I feel like I’m on crack! I don’t know if my sensitive body and brain can handle the glucose. But I also can’t go full keto because it makes adrenal fatigue worse. So I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place. Considering trying to do low carb all day and then have a moderate carb meal for dinner just to help with sleep and adrenal fatigue. I’m not sure what to do. Tough situation here.

evio,

I am on the Keto and the Intermittent Diet and have been since July 2018.  It has helped and yes, my Adrenals are pumping out too much Cortisol at night and morning.  I found a website where an ND who is on KETO found out she has Adrenal insufficiency.  So the way she's doing it and me too after listening to her YOUTUBE, is that she eats the protein for Breakfast and Lunch then before bed, she has sweet potato or Rice (Rice is okay if you put it (minute rice) in boiled water, take off head, cover with lid, then rinse and refrigerate, that takes out the starch.  So it's not a problem.  It does not take away the sxs but it's not causing them either.  Drink a lot of water and eat Spinach, broccoli, Cauliflower, spring mix, avacados also.  Lemon water with Braggs vinegar and Himalayan Salt works well too.  I am in a WINDOW right now.  FIRST ONE IN MONTHS!  So diet alone is not going to remove sxs. 

What seemed to help me is that I started a micro Liquid SLOW taper of 1/2 mg per month from Valium.  That's what made the difference.  It is a smoother taper.....yes, still have sxs but not as horrific. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm wondering if doing a Low Carb diet can make fatigue worse... I'm getting enough food but no real energy to speak of. I'm thinking of adding beans and potatoes back in the mix. I'm sure that will bring me out of ketosis but maybe I'll get an energy benefit from that. Not sure what's better this (beans, potatoes) or rice? I'm thinking beans and potatoes but there's also lectins to consider.

Diet is a rabbit hole all on it's own. At some point I may just eat what I want excluding sugar, bread / pasta, and most dairy. That seems like a pretty healthy diet to me. I'm sure my adrenals are shot and I'm not sure if I'm just going to make things worse by going keto. Everything at 27 months has a question mark now...

I have too much energy!  Can't sleep, etc.  Nervousness, no fatigue, just nervousness and jittery, stomach cramps, hard to calm down.  I get too much Cortisol pumping out of my Adrenals that's why.  Makes my BP go up.  Some times I WISH I could feel tired.  Seriously.  I mean tired enough to sleep all night long.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys!

Going to bump this thread.

I’ve been doing a new diet since the end of November. Gluten free, dairy free, sugar free. Except for some fruit. I get carbs from beans, brown rice, potatoes, and quinoa. I have to carefully monitor my carb intake. If I have too much, or glycogen builds up too high over days of eating lots of carbs, I feel very anxious and can trigger a wave. But I feel like this diet is much better for my adrenal fatigue and even my tinnitus. I have also been keeping an eye on glutamate intake as I’m now hypersensitive to free glutamate. Too much of it can trigger a wave. I have been utilizing this website to help avoid high glutamate foods.

Hope your all doing well!

https://nourishedblessings.com/reid/glutamate-chart/

Hi guys!

I’ve been doing a new diet since the end of November. Gluten free, dairy free, sugar free. Except for some fruit. I get carbs from beans, brown rice, potatoes, and quinoa. I have to carefully monitor my carb intake. If I have too much, or glycogen builds up too high over days of eating lots of carbs, I feel very anxious and can trigger a wave. But I feel like this diet is much better for my adrenal fatigue and even my tinnitus. I have also been keeping an eye on glutamate intake as I’m now hypersensitive to free glutamate. Too much of it can trigger a wave. I have been utilizing this website to help avoid high glutamate foods.

Hello

Happy to hear from you and I hope your adrenals are improving. I am also still trying to improve my adrenal function and I think I was improving but lately every night around midnight and 5 am my heart rate goes up and I have that internal shaking. Probably my cortisol acting up again. Anyway keep pushing forward and we will heal.

Hi guys!

I have been having a real difficult time coming off keto too. Whenever I get a little too confident and eat a bunch of nuts or some other borderline food, I will have a bad reaction like you, where I get way anxious and need to go for a run at the time where I am supposed to be going to bed or something. This seems to burn off the excess neurotransmitters (norepinephrine, I assume), and then I am able to sleep normally. I think I'm just going to give up for awhile and try again in a few months. I seem to sleep much better and feel better in general when avoiding carbs.

Preacher girl,

I also have the internal vibrations and pounding heart.

My vibration is along my spine especially around the back of my neck and shoulders.

The vibration has actually gotten much better. I only feel it once in a while. Usually if i wake up in the middle of the night, or I’m stressed or don’t sleep well I will feel it in the morning.

My heart beats hard whenever I try to sleep and when I wake up. Whatever is happening with my adrenals and hormones when I try to sleep is causing my heart to pound. Its not beating overly fast- which is good. But it thumps! Beats very hard especially in the middle of the night and mornings. This is the primary reason I continue eating carbs. I feel like this adrenal and hormone issue won’t improve, or will take longer to improve if I am on a low carb diet.

But i definitely have much lower anxiety on a low carb diet. So caught between a rock and hard place. Hoping to improve month by month

• 2 weeks later...

I hear Keto diet can be good for people who have some neurological or mental illness. I am too scared to venture into, but I do try to incorporate some good fats everyday. The other night I had an Alfredo pasta full of heavy cream and I suddenly noticed a rush of gaba in my brain and a feel good feeling and my anxiety diminished. Anyway, I suppose doing any kind of radical changes or adding new stresses when our bodies are still fragil and healing can cause son setbacks until it adapts again.I try to practice moderation and a whole foods diet; however, I have to my meat and some carbs. But I do suffer from sugar/salt cravings sometimes which are kind of hard to control. I read in a supplement book that if you take amino acids it is best to also take B6 with Vitaminc C to help it work better. However, the book also stated is best to take 'complete set of amino acids' because taking individual one for long periods of time can cause an imbalance in neurotransmitters. 

Soup: What do you mean with supplementation stacks? What is it? Do you mind sharing?

Solyluna,

I researched what aminos & other types of supplements work together/ "synergistic effects" for insomnia,repairing of whatever benzo screwed up.I keep a logbook and make notes of what stack (combinations & dosages) I'm using, next morning note what works or doesn't, anything I noticed as far as mood,memory,ability,effects,etc.

Your reading of stacking B6 & vit.C w/ what aminos you're taking is a great example.

At this time,I'm getting good restorative sleep each nite by stacking Theanine,GABA,Tryptophan,magnesium,aspirin,ibuprofen,zinc,doxylamine succinate in various combinations,dosages.Some things I tried such as 5HTP  & B complex - they do work but either not work as great as other things or just can't stand smell (B complex stinks!) I'm 1 year off benzo so things have improved over time,I see how my interests have slowly come back on line,how communication is improving,brain functions getting sharper.

I do have to not eat sugar or junk foods as those combinations of carbs/fats/sugars make my brain into an addict, very hard to stop once started.

I do take doses of some things like Tryptophan &

GABA in grams which benefit insomnia.I do blend the powders in a shake to drink in the evening rather than a bunch of pills or caps.

I did the zero sleep thing during/after withdrawal but had 2 major concerns: I wasn't going to jeopardize my health by not getting reliable sleep & I only have me to get

through life: paying bills,taking care of household,getting truck serviced, banking,etc.Looking like hammered dog shit & feeling like it from lack of sleep is a no can do for me.So research and nitely

experiment is how I have approached this.

Your Mileage May Vary :sleepy:

SfD

Preacher girl,

I also have the internal vibrations and pounding heart.

My heart beats hard whenever I try to sleep and when I wake up.

I get that pounding heart too, but only after I eat fruit.