starting SSRI during taper

[ju...]

My dr has suggested cylift when i start my taper .Is this a good idea .i am worried about being dependent on another med i cant get off of ,although dr says you can be on a ssri long turm.has anyone else found that a ssri helped while tapering    . :-\

Hi justdoitnow,

It would help to know some details about your taper: what you’re tapering; how much you’re currently on; how fast you want to go; etc.

I don’t have any experience with cylift but I would be cautious about starting a new med while you’re changing the dosage of another. I think it’s a good idea to change one thing at a time. Since SSRIs take a while to ramp up, have you thought of getting on the cylift before you start tapering? That way you can see how it works for you before lowering your benzo.

~ Fiskadoro

Hi Fiskadoro.thanks for your reply.I Think thats my drs plan.he said to taper when i feel ready  .im not an asertive person and i wanted to say i would rather taper without a ssri  .i tried them long ago before and only lasted a week due to side effects of insomnia and nausea  .so he just keeps telling me to try a different one  says i wont be able to come of unless ssri help for my anxiety  .i hate the side effects .but feel il be out of line refusing to try ssri a bit longer.my dr said ssri is safer for anxiety than a benzo .its the only reason he has suggested a taper said i can cut by 1.5 of my 9 milligrams a month when i feel ready.i have been on bromazepan for 20 years with no prob  .its since seeing a new dr in the last  year the taper has been sugested.if it were up to me to be honest i dont feel ready  .my prev dr that retired said i could be on bromazepan for as long as i needed to be.i am petrified of withdrawel after reading how hard it can be .i did try cut by 1.5mg a few times  but by the 3rd day my anxiety spikes. :-\