Doc wants me to start tapering off Klonopin

[Ta...]

Hi,

I've been on Lexapro 5mg and prescribed 3mg of Klonopin (1 mg 3x a day) for the past 6 and a half years due to anxiety and panic attacks. I saw my doc yesterday for my monthly refill and was surprised when, out of the blue, she said it's time to start tapering off the K because I can't stay on it forever. I tried stopping cold Turkey in 2015. But on day 3 my entire face and hands went completely numb and I had to go back on the meds. Now I'm just scared. She said the taper would be gradually done. I told her I read that you should decrease by .25mg every few weeks and she said no, we would start at decreasing by .5mg. She called in my regular script yesterday and wants to start the taper in January. Please, someone tell me it will be ok and I won't suffer through hell while tapering. I dont mind coming off the meds, it's the withdrawal that has me scared.

HelloTalentedlight  :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies!

We are glad you joined our community. Try not to be worry, it sounds scary, I was scared too after 26 years,  I know you can do this!  Be confident, be patient, think positive, you will come through it.  Benzos need to be tapered slowly, ask your doctor if you can do a slower taper than what she is suggesting.  The rule of thumb is to reduce the daily dose by somewhere between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days.  Some need to taper slower than this, whatever feels comfortable, the aim is to try to keep symptoms manageable.

I would suggest that you familiarise yourself with the Ashton Manual, It is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  It provides tapering and withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

You will find some very valuable support and information on the forum.  Our members are happy to share their personal experiences with you and support you.. Please feel free to browse the boards and post questions to any of the dedicated threads.

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support

General Taper Plans

Please take time to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita

I started a taper recently that may be similar to what your doctor wants you to do. It’s considered a very rapid taper. I shouldn’t have gone this fast and it started to catch up with me around 0.5 mg (still doable) and became very difficult once I hit 0.25 mg. My doctor wanted me to stop completely after my month on 0.25 mg but reluctantly agreed to do a cross taper. She’s in private practice and not beholden to insurance, so I mentioned the growing research out there on slow tapers and presented her with the information. She was reluctant but agreed in the end. And even if you do have an addictive personality, that means nothing if you can handle a taper, fast or slow. I actually wonder if takes just as much resolve (if not more) to taper slowly versus quickly.

Regardless, please know you’re not alone and if you have to do 0.25 to 0.5 drops, there’s someone out there who is dong it with you or just recently did.  :)

Thanks so much you guys for responding, it makes me feel a lot better. I wish I never started taking these meds. I started having severe panic attacks at age 15 when my dad passed away of colon cancer. At age 26 I saw a doc and she prescribed klonopin, which I took for about 6 weeks then stopped. I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms at that time. At age 27 I suffered a miscarriage which would have been my 3rd child. At that point I just pretty much shut myself off from the world. I didn't drive for a year, stayed home with my two young kiddos, and was basically living as a hermit. It wasn't until age 28 that I decided it was time to seek help with my anxiety and panic attacks. My oldest child was getting ready to start Kindergarten, and I was having non-stop panic attacks. So I went back to the first doc that had originally prescribed me Klonopin and she put me back on it along with effector. In 2015 she retired, and during our last visit she gave me my script and I asked her how I should stop taking the meds. She told me to just take half of what I take for 2 weeks, then cut that in half for 2 weeks and I could stop and be ok. Instead, I went cold Turkey for 3 days and by the 3rd day I couldn't handle it, so I began taking the meds normally again. I made an appointment with another doc and she switched me from effexor to Lexapro and kept me on the K. I've never over taken the meds and always have extra by the end of the month. Even though I'm prescribed 3mg a day I usually take anywhere from 1mg to 2mg, but on average 1.5mg. My doc however thinks I take 3mg daily. I have to say, ever since being on the K it seems like my panic attacks have increased over the years, and I can't cope with them like I was once able to do. So I would say the K has actually made the panic attacks worse. My main concern is that I get horrible PMS along with complex migraines with aura during that time of the month. The K helps my anxiety when this happens. I'm really afraid that the PMS symptoms are gonna get a lot worse when I taper. My doc said that I could up my Lexapro to 10mg during PMS and after I could go back to 5mg. Does Lexapro actually help with anxiety and panic attacks? I am on such a low dose that I dont even know how well it would actually help.