Safety of General Aesthetic on Withdrawal Symptoms

[ph...]

Hi folks. I know this has been discussed but I want to know of anyone that has gone and had an operation done while still experiencing benzo withdrawal symptoms and how the general impacted upon them. I am 4 months off any gaba drug. I still have tremors, tinnitus and mental symptoms but they have improved. Im thinking of propofol or ketamine and will avoid the pre benzo. I am scared naturally of being thrown back into insanity again. I speak to the dr on monday the 9th and get the op done on the 14th.

How long where you in to withdrawal when you had an operation and where you still experiencing benzo wd symptoms when you were given the general? I read that propofol is generally the safest and least problematic and also Ketamine while not gaba affecting can cause some complications when coming to. Thanks guys i,d really appreciate some advice. I just cant wait to get this thing sorted as I,ve been making progress with the benzo wd. This is the last hurdle for me I hope..Take it easy..

Hi pheonixrising,  I had hernia surgery about 5 months after getting off alprazolam.  I was tapering sertraline at the time.  I didn't have any recurrent w/d symptoms from the anesthesia.  I said no to the pre-op benzo and they gave me fentanyl instead.  I was more worried about the pain meds after the surgery but I didn't use any besides ibuprofen and acetaminophen and didn't have any problems with those.  I continued with the sertraline taper after about 3 weeks.  No other problems.

Hi bud can u remember what they gave u for the sedation? I,l be ok with any pain meds as long as its short term. Yeah I,m def saying no to the pre benzo..No way..Oh I its for a umbilical hernia pal so similar to u?

I don't know what type it was.  They didn't tell me and I didn't asked but I did let them know not to give me benzos.  They intubated after I was out.  Don't remember anything until I woke up while being wheeled out of the OR.  I also had blocks put in on either side of my abdomen.  Same here, it was for an umbilical hernia - a rather large one.

Ha thats a right coincidence! I,m getting the thing done next week. Was your's sore? Mines been a nightmare for 7 weeks. Ive been told all sorts of things like belly button infections etc but the hernia is pressing against my belly button. A really horrible pain. Luckily mine is small but still damn sore. He is just using stiches and not mesh. I have read that there can be a reoccurance which I hope dosnt happen. Did u recover ok any things to look out for etc? Thanks pal..

Sure. I wasn’t sore at all before the repair.  It was an open mesh repair. Hernia was incarcerated (doesn’t easily go back in).  Recovery wasn’t too bad but I remember it took me 2-3 days to get up and going a bit. The blocks I believe greatly reduced recovery time but a lot of people elect not to get the extra medication.  Sore esp first two days and gradually got better.  No drain so it leaked a little and had to keep it clean and ice it a lot.  Had a binder/brace which was really helpful and held ice packs in place.  Rotated ibuprofen and acetaminophen every 6-8 hours and didn’t need any narcotics.

Thats great pal thanks. Thats good about not needing harder pain meds. The pain from the thing has been driving me mad especially after a walk. It hasnt popped out through my belly button thank god but I can feel it pressing at it like a pinching aching feeling. I cant wait to get it sorted as I,m at the stage where I want to walk loads or run to help with bz wd but I guess I wont be able to jog for 2-3 weeks. Thanks pal...He just mentioned stiches with no mesh. Nothing about blocks though...

No problem.  Hope it goes well for you.  :thumbsup:  It's nice to have mine out of the way.  I lived with it protruding for many years.

That was the other thing... No lifting over 10 lbs for about 8 weeks.

Were you placed on antibiotics after the surgery. IF so, any side effects from antibiotics?

No.  Thankfully too bc at that point I didn't know about benzo buddies and had no idea antibiotics could cause such terrible reactions.