Question about tolerance...

[Ed...]

Hi all.... not sure if this is the right place to post this...

I have a question about tolerance. I want to know how often I can use valium without tolerance developing. I have a medical condition which causes a lot of pain and valium helps me a lot. But I want to be responsible and only use it sparingly so that tolerance doesn't become a problem.

Question is, do you think 5mgs once a week would be okay? Ideally I would like to use 5mgs twice a week but I'm thinking that would be too frequent. Thought I would ask for opinions here before I speak to my doctor. Sometimes I'm not sure if she gives me the correct information. Also this will only be for short term, probably about 3 months because i'll be having surgery and should be in a lot less pain after that.

Thank you.

Hi all.... not sure if this is the right place to post this...

I have a question about tolerance. I want to know how often I can use valium without tolerance developing. I have a medical condition which causes a lot of pain and valium helps me a lot. But I want to be responsible and only use it sparingly so that tolerance doesn't become a problem.

Question is, do you think 5mgs once a week would be okay? Ideally I would like to use 5mgs twice a week but I'm thinking that would be too frequent. Thought I would ask for opinions here before I speak to my doctor. Sometimes I'm not sure if she gives me the correct information. Also this will only be for short term, probably about 3 months because i'll be having surgery and should be in a lot less pain after that.

Thank you.

Sadly, you have been unnecessarily  intimidated by another incorrect or misleading term here on BB.  Tolerance is a perfectly natural response to many drugs, medicines, and even some environmental stimuli (sunlight, noise, etc)  Toleance simply means the body has lowered its response to some external factor, and it therefore becomes less effective, or ineffective.

"Tolerance is a person's diminished response to a drug, which occurs when the drug is used repeatedly and the body adapts to the continued presence of the drug."  (emphasis added)

https://www.merckmanuals.com/home/drugs/factors-affecting-response-to-drugs/tolerance-and-resistance-to-drugs

Tolerance does NOT cause any sxs or distress, although the sxs of the  original condition may return. Tolerance is actually a protective response that assists the body in maintaining natural equilibrium. 

When most folks here on BB refer to tolerance, they usually mean tolerance withdrawal.  And there does not appear to be any documented evidence that such a condition  exists, and  if it does, even the admins here on BB acknowledge that very few folks ever develop it.

So please don't let a fear of tolerance influence how you choose to use your benzo.

I think what Eden18 wanted ask is how often he/she can take Valium without developing dependence. I would not take Valium at all as taking it repeatedly (once or twice per week) can cause dependence.

I think what Eden18 wanted ask is how often he/she can take Valium without developing dependence. I would not take Valium at all as taking it repeatedly (once or twice per week) can cause dependence.

I agree. You are likely to take it more and then be in the weeds .