Rapid taper/1 month out

[Th...]

I am a 53 year old doc, currently in rehab for opioid abuse. And I was on benzos for 10 years. Most recently Xanax 2 mg twice daily. The rehab place put me on Klonopin 2 mg and tapered that over 2 weeks, been off benzos for 30 days. My legs tingle and feel numb all day. Feet hurt. Ears ring, when I talk it doesn’t sound like my voice. Anyway...very symptomatic. I have reached a place of acceptance that this is to be expected. This is a normal reaction to getting off mind altering drugs. I didn’t abuse benzo and I think it’s the one kicking my ass.

I can work myself into a tizzie and convince myself this isn’t going away...it hasn’t gotten any better, and if it doesn’t get significantly better, I’m not sure I can function as a doc anyway. I have another 6 weeks - 2 months before can go back to work. If I feel this way in 6 months, to be honest, I’m not sure it’s worth it to be off benzo. I really am not convinced this isn’t going to be permanent. I also work myself into to thinking the rapid taper has given me brain damage.

Hi Thomas1965,  Welcome.  Sorry to hear it's been rough.  CT/rapid taper symptoms are generally thought to take a little longer to go away.  Some people reinstate and then taper at a more reasonable rate (not a suggestion, just information).  Everyone's different.  Hope the symptoms start easing up for you soon.  Best.

I am a 53 year old doc, currently in rehab for opioid abuse. And I was on benzos for 10 years. Most recently Xanax 2 mg twice daily. The rehab place put me on Klonopin 2 mg and tapered that over 2 weeks, been off benzos for 30 days. My legs tingle and feel numb all day. Feet hurt. Ears ring, when I talk it doesn’t sound like my voice. Anyway...very symptomatic. I have reached a place of acceptance that this is to be expected. This is a normal reaction to getting off mind altering drugs. I didn’t abuse benzo and I think it’s the one kicking my ass.

I can work myself into a tizzie and convince myself this isn’t going away...it hasn’t gotten any better, and if it doesn’t get significantly better, I’m not sure I can function as a doc anyway. I have another 6 weeks - 2 months before can go back to work. If I feel this way in 6 months, to be honest, I’m not sure it’s worth it to be off benzo. I really am not convinced this isn’t going to be permanent. I also work myself into to thinking the rapid taper has given me brain damage.

If you don't start to feel better in the next month or if you start feeling worse you might consider reinstating and tapering more slowly.  Even after reinstating it may take a while to feel better.