My Journey

[Ab...]

Hello! In 2006 a virus left me with an ear disorder, " secondary endolymphatic hydrops", that created terrible anxiety. My doctor gave me Lexapro, 5 mg/day for anxiety and then Ativan, .5mg., for sleep. I want to eventually discontinue both and have begun a taper of the Ativan. I am now at .25 mg/ day. I am in my 70's and don't know if age makes it harder. I love this forum and will appreciate suggestions and help. Thank you.

Hi Abuela :hug:  Welcome to Benzobuddies.

We are glad that you found us.  Sorry about your ear issues, I hope your doing better.  We have/had members in their 70s tapering off successfully, you can do this.  I am pleased you like our forum.  Withdrawal can be a very challenging time,  being among those who understand can make it a little easier.  You will come through this, be positive, it does get better.  We have a community filled with knowledgeable and compassionate members who can support you.

Benzodiazepines need to be tapered off slowly. The general tapering guidelines are to cut the daily dose by between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days.  It’s important to listen to your body , if you are feeling too symptomatic, we would suggest that you slow that rate down. The aim is to keep any withdrawal symptoms manageable.

I would suggest that you familiarise yourself with the Ashton Manual, It is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  It provides Tapering and withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

You will find some very valuable support and information on the forum.  Our members are happy to share their personal experiences with you and support you.. Please feel free to browse the boards and post questions to any of the dedicated threads.

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support

General Taper Plans 

Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

Please take time to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita