A Short Time is All I Have...

[Ra...]

Hello, I am 63. I seek support. I have taken 6 Mg of Ativan, daily, since 1975 [43 years], and 2.5 Mg of Halcion [as an addition to go to sleep faster] from between 1980ish through June 30th, of this year, 2018 [around 38 years estimated]. *** From July 1st, I have tapered down from 3, to 2 Mg, of Ativan, and - cold-turkeyed off the Halcion July 1st - not by choice - but because I lost my doctor [of the last 17 years] to retirement, and could not find another doctor to prescribe me anything but Ativan. I, fortunately, did not suffer too badly losing access to Halcion - perhaps because the Ativan covered that loss, or my body, my mind, did not really need it - or, My Willpower got me through that ordeal. However, my last [most recent] doctor tried to taper me off those 3 Mgs of Ativan in a 6-week taper [to put me on Ambien as a replacement] - First 2 weeks I went from 3 Mg to 2Mg - which was successful - but I hit a roadblock then and there. I could not tolerate anything less than 2 MG. I'm down to 4 days left of meds {@ 2 Mg} - I have no doctor, but I have 2 apt's on Monday... I want to self-taper using the, "Ashton Manual," over 10 months to a year+, but I'll need to quickly find a willing, Benzo-wise doctor to prescribe me what I'm on, or, to allow me to do a 4-week, 'Cross-over," to an equivalent dose of Valium - to use to do a year-long Taper from there... Wish me luck - I don't know where else to go, or what else to do from here... - RainMaker

Hello RainMaker :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies!

Glad you found us, and pleased that you have joined our community. I know that you will get plenty of support here from caring members.  Good luck finding a doctor, don’t let yourself run out of meds, I don’t want you to experience benzo cold turkey, it can be dangerous.  If you run out before finding a doctor, go to ER and explain the situation. I successfully tapered after 26 years, I know of others over 40 years.  Be confident and be  patient, you can do this! and it will get better.   

The rule of thumb is to reduce the daily dose by somewhere between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days.  It’s okay to go slower than this, whatever feels comfortable, the aim is to try to keep symptoms manageable.

I see that you are already familiar with the Ashton Manual,  I doubt I could have gotten through this process without it.  Its such a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  It provides tapering and withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

You will find some very valuable support and information on the forum.  Our members are happy to share their personal experiences with you and support you.. Please feel free to browse the boards and post questions to any of the dedicated threads.

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support

General Taper Plans

Tapering off Ativan Support Thread

Please take time to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita