How are so many people still able to drive ?

[of...]

I was in tolerance for many years (I now see) and had a very hard time driving but I could still go very local up until this year.

Now I can barely get around my house.

How are so many people still able to drive with the symptoms they are describing?

I've been at this for a while and have had the majority of symptoms folks complain about in addition to probably the worst case of tinnitus known to man kind. Can't speak for others but I was always able to drive throughout. Perhaps because I live in Southern California and driving  is so necessary to get most places out here but I always felt if I could walk, I could drive. No matter how bad the symptoms ever got, I never felt like I couldn't.. perhaps because driving feels just as natural as walking for me.

And in a wierd way when I'm in a bad way symptoms wise and anxiety is riding high driving actually relaxes me somewhat (so long as there isn't traffic)

I live in southern california too and work is an hour away. There was a period of a few weeks where driving was difficult. Changing lanes on the freeway was not so automatic and I had to consciously think of the steps to follow. And I had to constantly remind myself "pay attention to how far the car in front of you is." I seem to have gotten past that now.

But the tinnitus is kind of driving me crazy now. There are several points in the day where I'm like, "where the hell did this ringing come from?"

Yeah I have tinnitus too. Luckily I can tolerate it most days. Probably the only symptom I’m able to tolerate. I hope yours gets better soon.

but the driving...I get to a certain point and I just start to shake.

This has been going on for years. I used to be able to push through but I guess I just got too tolerant.

I wish a nice drive in So Cal would relax me.....sounds beautiful

I lost ability to drive when I CT'd off of Remeron. I then stabilized enough to drive to a store sometimes (2.5 months later) and then once I jumped off of Klonopin there was no way I'd be able to drive. I lost custody of my son partly because of that (can't drive him to school, he goes to a special school, no bus), so it's not like I cannot handle uncomfortable or something.

I too don't understand how people are able to drive in benzo wd. Not that I'm minimizing their suffering, but not being able to drive and losing my job, custody of my son and having to file for disability seems like a different level.

I was actually still able to drive through the derealization and panic - it wasn't until the involuntary movements started that I had to seriously limit/stop driving.  I just took some time to try to get used to the derealization and how things were moving before driving.  I could safely judge distances and speed, so I was not in any danger to myself or anyone else on the road.  I drove through several panic attacks, but had one of the "terror attacks" hit (additional visual disturbances, complete over reaction to anything coming at me) I would have had to pull over immediately until it passed because I would have been afraid of trying to overcompensate and causing issues for others, and I would not feel safe driving while in severe depersonalization. (I would have been able to make it to the side of the road safely, but I would not have been able to continue driving like that).  Fortunately, those didn't hit while driving.

The tinnitus that sounded like alarms was scary because I couldn't hear an emergency vehicle behind me one day when it hit while I was driving.  But other than that, I was very careful to be aware of my surroundings after that.

I lost ability to drive when I CT'd off of Remeron. I then stabilized enough to drive to a store sometimes (2.5 months later) and then once I jumped off of Klonopin there was no way I'd be able to drive. I lost custody of my son partly because of that (can't drive him to school, he goes to a special school, no bus), so it's not like I cannot handle uncomfortable or something.

I too don't understand how people are able to drive in benzo wd. Not that I'm minimizing their suffering, but not being able to drive and losing my job, custody of my son and having to file for disability seems like a different level.

Ideal

I’m sorry you lost custody. That’s just heartbreaking.  :'(

I too lost my job, can’t drive and am on disability.

It’s strange how it affects us all so differently.

I think inability to drive for me  has a lot to do with the agoraphobia.

Who knows. I hope I can again someday. Not that it was ever my favorite thing....but I would like to be able to get around.

I was actually still able to drive through the derealization and panic - it wasn't until the involuntary movements started that I had to seriously limit/stop driving.  I just took some time to try to get used to the derealization and how things were moving before driving.  I could safely judge distances and speed, so I was not in any danger to myself or anyone else on the road.  I drove through several panic attacks, but had one of the "terror attacks" hit (additional visual disturbances, complete over reaction to anything coming at me) I would have had to pull over immediately until it passed because I would have been afraid of trying to overcompensate and causing issues for others, and I would not feel safe driving while in severe depersonalization. (I would have been able to make it to the side of the road safely, but I would not have been able to continue driving like that).  Fortunately, those didn't hit while driving.

The tinnitus that sounded like alarms was scary because I couldn't hear an emergency vehicle behind me one day when it hit while I was driving.  But other than that, I was very careful to be aware of my surroundings after that.

I honestly don’t know where you guys get such courage.

:) Hi offandon,

I see from posts you're having some very bad times.  I don't feel able to drive.  I don't think my reflexes would be good and there's some dizziness (which is worse than that encountered from a concussion). I've also got the agoraphobia going on.  I've learned to let go.  I can't be getting upset over this being absent from life.  I try to stay in the moment and when that moment's intolerable, try distracting myself with TV/DVD/youtube and other online browsing and just discovered a music forum, music banter, for music fans to share, which is laid out pretty similarly to benzobuddies.  I put my faith in myself that I will get to the other end.  Please, try to stop comparing yourself to others...no good will ever come of that.

If I remember, you have dogs; can't you play with them?  The dog/person connection is so strong and has so many positive benefits on mood and emotions, as well as physical well-being.  I miss my dog so badly.  Learn to be kind to yourself- :smitten:

I drive....I drove a lot today. Got frustrated with the Fedex man in my way. But indeed for the most part. i do like to drive, especially with another person as eccentric.as.me :idiot:::)

I see from posts you're having some very bad times.  I don't feel able to drive.  I don't think my reflexes would be good and there's some dizziness (which is worse than that encountered from a concussion). I've also got the agoraphobia going on.  I've learned to let go.  I can't be getting upset over this being absent from life.  I try to stay in the moment and when that moment's intolerable, try distracting myself with TV/DVD/youtube and other online browsing and just discovered a music forum, music banter, for music fans to share, which is laid out pretty similarly to benzobuddies.  I put my faith in myself that I will get to the other end.  Please, try to stop comparing yourself to others...no good will ever come of that.

If I remember, you have dogs; can't you play with them?  The dog/person connection is so strong and has so many positive benefits on mood and emotions, as well as physical well-being.  I miss my dog so badly.  Learn to be kind to yourself- :smitten:

Hi cuz...you’re replies mean so much to me right now. Everyone gives such great ideas yet I don’t seem to be able to stay in the moment or deal very well when it’s intolerable. I was never a relaxed or patient person. Just a neurotic scared mess. That’s how I see myself now as having always been. But thank you for the support and encouragement.  :smitten:

I saw on another post you had c diff. I had that too and was on antibiotics from about sept 2016 to early in 2017. What a nightmare that was. I dealt with it so differently back then...when I was on Prozac. I know these AD’s help lift me out of terrifying thoughts. Even if others disagree.

I find driving to be meditative and relaxing, which means it's something that I don't mind.

I will admit that my hour+ commute to work has had some rough days where I just wanted to be done halfway through, but I've been able to keep focus enough to drive.

• 3 months later...

Hi cuz...you’re replies mean so much to me right now. Everyone gives such great ideas yet I don’t seem to be able to stay in the moment or deal very well when it’s intolerable. I was never a relaxed or patient person. Just a neurotic scared mess. That’s how I see myself now as having always been. But thank you for the support and encouragement.  :smitten:

I saw on another post you had c diff. I had that too and was on antibiotics from about sept 2016 to early in 2017. What a nightmare that was. I dealt with it so differently back then...when I was on Prozac. I know these AD’s help lift me out of terrifying thoughts. Even if others disagree.

Hi offandon,

I'm sorry I wasn't back on this thread to read your latest post.  One of my biggest issues @ the moment, since my life has gotten so small that benzobuddies is a major component - is the difficulty in navigating this community, which I do take issue with, as so many of us may experience varying degrees of cognitive dysfunction.  I've learned from other (non-benzo-related) communities just how much easier community navigation can be. 

There's a thread "so sick" re: antibiotics...if I can find my way back to it, I'll try to copy it to you. 

I jumped.  I came to view it as one of those things like the Vet telling you "You'll Know When It's Time" re: pets' demise; didn't understand until I understood.  Same w/the jumping issue here and any threads/posts on that topic.  I just felt that I've been completely debilitated & absent from my life already 2-1/2 years (1-1/2 of those being tolerance w/d).  I've had 24/7 nerve pain since Dec. '18; didn't feel that last crumbs were doing anything for me anyway & that maybe the sooner I just bit-the-bullet  the sooner I'll be healed - though, I'm realistic.  While I've tried to stay positive & not think about PAWS, I was on ativan @ high doses for 10+ years.  The road's gotten harder w/the less & less ativan I've had in system.  I don't anticipate any return-to-life in the short-term.  I've also come to accept that the damage done is like an illness; the combination of that & normal aging that's taking place...between the 2, there won't be a return-to-life as I've known it; that would be placing unrealistic expectations on this healing & myself. 

Posters here able to drive...count yourselves among the very fortunate, esp. when you may be experiencing bad times & take comfort in what you are still able to do.