Shall I switch from Klonopin to Valium?

[Ma...]

I saw a new psychiatrist today and he said I should switch over. I don't know whether to do it or not.

Why are you considering switching again?What issues specifically ?

I haven't stabilized after holding on Klonopin for 3 months. I went to see a new psychiatrist and he recommended the switch. What do you think?

I haven't stabilized after holding on Klonopin for 3 months. I went to see a new psychiatrist and he recommended the switch. What do you think?

1985-1990 flunitrazepam occasionally for sleep before exams, maybe a few pills every half year. One or two occasions of taking it every day for 2 weeks. I don't remember any withdrawal symptoms.

2000-occasional Ambien, sometimes every day for 1-2 months. Never had an issue stopping.

10/17-5/18 Xanax 1 mg for sleep

6/1/18-switch to Klonopin  1.5 mg

6/1/18-8/13/18 taper down to K 0.5 mg

8/14/18 K 0.4375 mg        added Remeron 15mg

8/28/18 K 0.375 mg

10/4/18 K 0.375 mg              Remeron 22.5 mg

So your siggy shows sporadic use of Ambien since 2000, 7 consecutive months on Xanax use, 30% updose/crossover to Klonopin then a rapid 60% taper from1.5mg  to .5mg in 6 weeks and currently, you been "holding" at .5mg for 3 months and not "stabilizing".

IMHO... you you have been all over the board with this medication. You probably cut to much to fast. Many folks report that after multiple withdrawals/sporadic use subsequent withdrawal can prove to be more challenging.

If I were in your shoes I would do the switch but with some conditions:

1) Having the option of a reasonable Ashton type crossover going up to a dose where I did feel "stable" (what ever that dose may be)

2) Once "stable" having the flexibility to do a symptom based taper at a rate that was comfortable for me with no time frame restriction.

If your doctor is onboard with something like this I would go for it. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to post exactly the same thread but then saw this...a doctor who says he has helped many Clonazepam users in prisons says a Diazepam taper works better and is less symptomatic.

Looking at my sig, what advice do folks have? I am planning to cut after a wave after last cut, down to 0.75mg  and tempted to give it a try.

Equivalent does 7.5mg Valium. How bumpy is the switch?

My doctor told me the equivalent dose of V maybe anything between 10-25 times of the dose of K. I switched one third of my K dose to V about 10 days ago (1:20) and have not experienced any bumps. Actually, I feel better than before the switch.

• 2 weeks later...