Is there anything that brings you back to reality during dp dr

[of...]

These terrifying dp dr episodes keep happening.

Does anybody have any tips that bring you back to reality and yourself?

Please help  :'( :'(

Hi offandon,  How are you doing tonight??

When I had it bad, I had to go into my room alone and lay down and distract with a movie or TV show.  I would turn out the lights and get rid of any other stimuli and just focus on the show and wait it out.  It would go away after a few hours usually.  This just kind of developed out of necessity. I have no idea if it helps others or if other's do anything similar.

When I had it bad, I had to go into my room alone and lay down and distract with a movie or TV show.  I would turn out the lights and get rid of any other stimuli and just focus on the show and wait it out.  It would go away after a few hours usually.  This just kind of developed out of necessity. I have no idea if it helps others or if other's do anything similar.

Hi seltzer

I’m not doing good. Dizziness is some better but dp dr just all of a sudden snapped on. It’s always kind of lingering there but lately it’s just been snapping on full force episodes.

I really think I’d be terrified in a room by myself. I never feel like it’s going to pass. How can I convince myself? 

I did a little tai chi today but other than that I’ve literally been doing ipad puzzles all day and night.

This is just so awful. 😢

Hi seltzer

I’m not doing good. Dizziness is some better but dp dr just all of a sudden snapped on. It’s always kind of lingering there but lately it’s just been snapping on full force episodes.

I really think I’d be terrified in a room by myself. I never feel like it’s going to pass. How can I convince myself? 

I did a little tai chi today but other than that I’ve literally been doing ipad puzzles all day and night.

This is just so awful. 😢

I'm sorry it's so rough.  Tai chi is great!  Wonderful way to get moving.

I always tried to be as rational as possible with myself to calm the fear.  I would tell myself I haven't felt these things before and there's no reason I would stay this way.  I know it's due to the medication because the only thing I've changed is going down a little bit and others say they've experienced it temporarily and it's only been temporary for them.  I'm not THAT special to be the one to have these symptoms stick.  Would I be feeling this way if I haven't had any medication in my system for 2 months?  Let's see because that may prove it.  And on and on..

Thank you , are such a help to me. It's just so scary. I feel like very unsafe.

I wish I could attach a pic of my spreadsheet.

I went from .156 total k weight on 11-11 to .142 total k weight on 11-26 with an up dose on 11-16 for the dentist to .194

And I haven't been able to get stable since

I went from .156 total k weight on 11-11 to .142 total k weight on 11-26 with an up dose on 11-16 for the dentist to .194

So that's about 10%.  That's really good.

I noticed you post around this time of day or a little earlier.  Anything happening around now/a little earlier?

Hang in there and distract.

So that's about 10%.  That's really good.

I noticed you post around this time of day or a little earlier.  Anything happening around now/a little earlier?

Hang in there and distract.

It seems like when the dark night comes in.

Then Updosed the day before yesterday to .170 now I’m trying to stabilize back at .156 😢

What am I doing wrong ?

These are a few things that helped my d/r:

Distractions, like classic movies with slower action and plots.

Pets, housework, short errands, etc.

Id go to a local beach and pick up smooth, palm sized stones, which Id carry around and squeeze/hold in my hands when feeling lightheaded.

Grounding rituals, like laying or sitting on my backyard lawn, leaning against solid objects like marble counters and walls, etc.

Walking meditation, concentrating on connecting to the earth with each step.

Id go to a local beach and pick up smooth, palm sized stones, which Id carry around and squeeze/hold in my hands when feeling lightheaded.

Grounding rituals, like laying or sitting on my backyard lawn, leaning against solid objects like marble counters and walls, etc.

Megan thank you. I can’t drive anywhere. How do you get the fear of dying out of your head during this?

the things megan listed are very helpful. The trick is that you dont fight the horrible thoughts and feeling but just do things while they are in your brain, - yes, I know, sounds idiotic but thats how it goes.

If you really have episodes you cannot find back into reality do some strategies from trauma therapy. you can google some. Here are the common ones:

put into your mouth a pepper, a very salty or sour drops or food in order to get a sudden, intense flavour on the tongue which can also hurt a little bit -this activates the brain suddenly to find back into the NOW.

You can get such a little ball that looks like a hedgehog and press it against body parts or just hold it on the hand - same effect as I said above.

You can count form 20 to 0 with a loud voice and move the feet in the rhythm you count.

You can tell yourself how many clolours you see in a room..

These are strategies to find back out of a dp - but the more often you do them, the more they help for brain fog or dr, too. Because they trigger a different brain area and push you back into the moment.

At the moment I feel the same again, although I am off meds for a longer time now.. Its good I found that topic.

So tomorrow my day will be full of bingewathcing netflix, then forcing myself to clean something for 10 minutes, then 10 minutes hugs to my dog, then "pretending to nap" for 10 minutes, then eating something, then netvlix again, then I give myself 20 - 30 minutes where I can freak out, then I return to the old routine... you see? And then after some days, I pray and hope, things will get easier again. For you and me I hope! :smitten:

the things megan listed are very helpful. The trick is that you dont fight the horrible thoughts and feeling but just do things while they are in your brain, - yes, I know, sounds idiotic but thats how it goes.

If you really have episodes you cannot find back into reality do some strategies from trauma therapy. you can google some. Here are the common ones:

put into your mouth a pepper, a very salty or sour drops or food in order to get a sudden, intense flavour on the tongue which can also hurt a little bit -this activates the brain suddenly to find back into the NOW.

You can get such a little ball that looks like a hedgehog and press it against body parts or just hold it on the hand - same effect as I said above.

You can count form 20 to 0 with a loud voice and move the feet in the rhythm you count.

You can tell yourself how many clolours you see in a room..

These are strategies to find back out of a dp - but the more often you do them, the more they help for brain fog or dr, too. Because they trigger a different brain area and push you back into the moment.

At the moment I feel the same again, although I am off meds for a longer time now.. Its good I found that topic.

So tomorrow my day will be full of bingewathcing netflix, then forcing myself to clean something for 10 minutes, then 10 minutes hugs to my dog, then "pretending to nap" for 10 minutes, then eating something, then netvlix again, then I give myself 20 - 30 minutes where I can freak out, then I return to the old routine... you see? And then after some days, I pray and hope, things will get easier again. For you and me I hope! :smitten:

Thank you for the suggestions marigold. I’m hoping and praying it doesn’t happen tonight and that your wave goes away soon. The darkness seems to bring it on. Can’t wait til shortest day of the year is here and gone.

I literally have to leave the room when the weather comes on the now. I live in fear of non sun days.

Hello, I suffer this a lot because I also have a seizure disorder along with my taper! I found the herb bacopa to be the only thing that really helped me, in conjunction with some of calming/grounding techniques others have already offered. The herb does not interfere with a benzo taper. It provides me relief from heart attack anxiety and dissasociation freak outs, and also helps to resensitize gaba receptors, so it's a win-win!

If you try it, get the organic one. (I'm not sure if I am allowed to mention a brand.) Take a bite of half of the tablet and chew it up in your mouth until it is all liquid. (Yes, it tastes like tree bark, but we are fighting for our lives here!) When it is liquid, swallow it. I usually feel relief within ~45 minutes. I think it words faster if you take it on an empty stomach, but you can also take it with food. Your effective dose might be more, cuz I'm a super delicate flower.  :)

Hang in there!

Hello, I suffer this a lot because I also have a seizure disorder along with my taper! I found the herb bacopa to be the only thing that really helped me, in conjunction with some of calming/grounding techniques others have already offered. The herb does not interfere with a benzo taper. It provides me relief from heart attack anxiety and dissasociation freak outs, and also helps to resensitize gaba receptors, so it's a win-win!

If you try it, get the organic one. (I'm not sure if I am allowed to mention a brand.) Take a bite of half of the tablet and chew it up in your mouth until it is all liquid. (Yes, it tastes like tree bark, but we are fighting for our lives here!) When it is liquid, swallow it. I usually feel relief within ~45 minutes. I think it words faster if you take it on an empty stomach, but you can also take it with food. Your effective dose might be more, cuz I'm a super delicate flower.  :)

Hang in there!

Oh goodness I’m sorry you go through that. Must be very difficult. Thank you for the encouragement. I’ll have to do some research as I’ve never heard of that. I’m a super delicate flower also. I like the way you say it better than what think about myself.

Ah now, be kind to yourself, poppet. It is a unique kind of hell we are all walking through. I was an alcoholic for 35 years, so I do know about kicking yourself while you're down. But is that what you would do to a friend trying to overcome something? No, you would encourage and help them, and root for them. Give yourself that same compassion.  http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/hug/hugging.gif

Reagarding bacopa, below is one interesting study. Benzodiazepine medications work on GABA receptors, so these results are relevant to the idea of GABA receptor upregulation through Bacopa...

In the present study, the effects of Bacopa monnieri and its active component, bacoside A, on motor deficit and alterations of GABA receptor functional regulation in the cerebellum of epileptic rats were investigated. Scatchard analysis of [(3)H]GABA and [(3)H]bicuculline in the cerebellum of epileptic rats revealed a significant decrease in B(max) compared with control. Real-time polymerase chain reaction amplification of GABA(A) receptor subunits-GABA(Aalpha1), GABA(Aalpha5,) and GABA(Adelta)-was downregulated (P<0.001) in the cerebellum of epileptic rats compared with control rats. Epileptic rats exhibit deficits in radial arm and Y-maze performance. Treatment with B. monnieri and bacoside A reversed these changes to near-control levels. Our results suggest that changes in GABAergic activity, motor learning, and memory deficit are induced by the occurrence of repetitive seizures. Treatment with B. monnieri and bacoside A prevents the occurrence of seizures thereby reducing the impairment of GABAergic activity, motor learning, and memory deficit.

Ah now, be kind to yourself, poppet. It is a unique kind of hell we are all walking through. I was an alcoholic for 35 years, so I do know about kicking yourself while you're down. But is that what you would do to a friend trying to overcome something? No, you would encourage and help them, and root for them. Give yourself that same compassion.  http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/hug/hugging.gif

Reagarding bacopa, below is one interesting study. Benzodiazepine medications work on GABA receptors, so these results are relevant to the idea of GABA receptor upregulation through Bacopa...

In the present study, the effects of Bacopa monnieri and its active component, bacoside A, on motor deficit and alterations of GABA receptor functional regulation in the cerebellum of epileptic rats were investigated. Scatchard analysis of [(3)H]GABA and [(3)H]bicuculline in the cerebellum of epileptic rats revealed a significant decrease in B(max) compared with control. Real-time polymerase chain reaction amplification of GABA(A) receptor subunits-GABA(Aalpha1), GABA(Aalpha5,) and GABA(Adelta)-was downregulated (P<0.001) in the cerebellum of epileptic rats compared with control rats. Epileptic rats exhibit deficits in radial arm and Y-maze performance. Treatment with B. monnieri and bacoside A reversed these changes to near-control levels. Our results suggest that changes in GABAergic activity, motor learning, and memory deficit are induced by the occurrence of repetitive seizures. Treatment with B. monnieri and bacoside A prevents the occurrence of seizures thereby reducing the impairment of GABAergic activity, motor learning, and memory deficit.

... just wanted to say congrats! After 35 years of alcohol, and then benzos - wow. You did such a great job to come off all that stuff. Really.. What brought you to your decision to start your journey? Just curious. I know many alcoholics and it seems they just cannot stop no matter what they try.

However, - really:  :thumbsup:

Ah gee, thanks Marigold. I think the best I can answer your question is to say, I knew from very early on I was a derailed train. I was a textbook case since the age of 8: Sexual abuse, obesity, anorexia, bulimia, cutting, PTSD, OCD, alcoholism, meth, then a meth OD which caused my seizure disorder, then Rx'ed benzos, depression, anhedonia, (I could go on, but I don't want to go too Oprah on your ass! http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/giggle.gif).

Anyway, at 53, it's been a lifelong journey to come to the decision that I want to "try to live." I still have issues with trying to find any "meaning" in life, but I do just want to be able to enjoy it, a little bit, before it all ends. And, as unfair as it might be, that is ALL on me. And getting off all drugs is foremost. I have recently had tiny slivers of windows where I feel a natural (unforced) pleasant mood, and it blows my mind. Like, WTF is this, holy crap, is this what people are out there experiencing?!?! I want more than slivers, and I am willing to suffer to get it. ...Hope that makes sense. 

Ah gee, thanks Marigold. I think the best I can answer your question is to say, I knew from very early on I was a derailed train. I was a textbook case since the age of 8: Sexual abuse, obesity, anorexia, bulimia, cutting, PTSD, OCD, alcoholism, meth, then a meth OD which caused my seizure disorder, then Rx'ed benzos, depression, anhedonia, (I could go on, but I don't want to go too Oprah on your ass! http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/giggle.gif).

Anyway, at 53, it's been a lifelong journey to come to the decision that I want to "try to live." I still have issues with trying to find any "meaning" in life, but I do just want to be able to enjoy it, a little bit, before it all ends. And, as unfair as it might be, that is ALL on me. And getting off all drugs is foremost. I have recently had tiny slivers of windows where I feel a natural (unforced) pleasant mood, and it blows my mind. Like, WTF is this, holy crap, is this what people are out there experiencing?!?! I want more than slivers, and I am willing to suffer to get it. ...Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for your support cowchick. And yes congratulations...be good to yourself too. 💕

It all makes sense to me. I know how hard it is to overcome such a trauma and in your case it seems to be worse than in mine. Your life belongs to you alone and I hope you will get many many moments you can use that for yourself not only for surviving but to have the choice between 2 ore more wonderful options and then to enjoy it. I know how difficult  all this is. Its amazing your body already shows you natural good mood - thats a huge thing. Thats when I could fully love myself and my body once - just when you get that very little impression like "oh? this? ohhhh wowwwww!" and its just you. I wish you all the best, you are a tough cookie it seems and the fact your body already gives you good feelings gives hope that this is not the end of the world but instead a new beginning for you

:smitten:

Those are good.