Gabapentin

[vi...]

Hi,

I'm currently tapering using Ashton and am completely on V (22mg now).  My P-Doc has prescribed me 600mg Gabapentin 3x daily to help with the anxiety.

I know better than to try to get off of 2 meds at a time, but can this cause any problems with the taper? 

Does anyone have any experience with Gabapentin during their taper?

Thanks.

I was on gabapentin and baclofen when I started tapering gabapentin. Did some research and found out I better get off the baclofen first so stopped my gabapentin wd and switched to the baclofen. Now Im off the baclofen and resuming the gabapentin wd. They say you can reduce by one capsule [100 mg] each week. Tried it and thought is was gonna kill me. Now Im titrating by cutting the capsule open and dissolving the powder in water. Reducing each dose by 50 mg is all I can tolerate. Hope this helps. [dont try to taper both meds at the same time]

I was prescribed Gabapentin for nerve pain.  It just happened to coincide with the end of my taper.

In addition to helping with the pain, I believe that it dramatically reduced my anxiety as well, (was most pleasantly surprised by that!).  I stepped off my Xanax taper without incident.

I’m still taking the Gabapentin, so can’t attest to getting off of that, but I’m glad that it was made available to me. 

——

locotusOFborg - I appreciate that you shared that it wasn’t as difficult as Benzo to taper off of - this is something that I am worried about ... but it’s still pretty clear that I need it.  (My doctor thinks that I may need to continue it for a while.) Without it, I can’t move my arm without experiencing searing/disabling pain, so it is definitely still indicated.

Hi,

I'm currently tapering using Ashton and am completely on V (22mg now).  My P-Doc has prescribed me 600mg Gabapentin 3x daily to help with the anxiety.

I know better than to try to get off of 2 meds at a time, but can this cause any problems with the taper? 

Does anyone have any experience with Gabapentin during their taper?

Thanks.

That’s quite a high starting dose. Why high?

Gabapentin is considered off-market for anxiety. I took it for nerve pain related to Lyme, and had a very hard time getting off it. My case is not typical - I took the max dose for years - but I know many who have had an exceedingly hard time coming off even after short-term, lower dose use. Individual susceptibility can vary tremendously, as is true with benzos. The withdrawal is different from a benzo for sure, but can be just as tough and horrifying: my two cents is that you should avoid it if you can.

I've taken gabapentin for anxiety (400 mg three times daily) and for neuropathy (300 mg three times daily). 600 mg three times daily does seem high.

I had little problem coming off of it. I just cut one daily dose every week so was off of it in 3 weeks. Some people seem to have a terrible time cutting it though. I'm just someone who had no issue with it. The only reason I did it that slowly (doc said to cut a dose every few days) was because I fill my pill box once a week and it was just easier that way.

I'm on Gabapentin, 600mg, 4x a day. I think it's too high and I keep hearing horror stories about coming off of it. My psychiatrist put me on it because of the withdrawal anxiety. It doesn't really help all that much, but I was cold turkeyed, so I'm not sure much would help right now. Sorry I can't be of more help.  :-\

• 3 weeks later...

I was prescribed Gabapentin for nerve pain.  It just happened to coincide with the end of my taper.

In addition to helping with the pain, I believe that it dramatically reduced my anxiety as well, (was most pleasantly surprised by that!).  I stepped off my Xanax taper without incident.

I’m still taking the Gabapentin, so can’t attest to getting off of that, but I’m glad that it was made available to me. 

——

locotusOFborg - I appreciate that you shared that it wasn’t as difficult as Benzo to taper off of - this is something that I am worried about ... but it’s still pretty clear that I need it.  (My doctor thinks that I may need to continue it for a while.) Without it, I can’t move my arm without experiencing searing/disabling pain, so it is definitely still indicated.

Do you have to take it every day or can you take it only when needed?  And have you tried to get off the Gabapentin?

I tried gabapentin but it made me really sick and I had twitches that really scared me. like my whole body would jerk in bed for no reason. that's why I quit it after less than a week. but I know lots of people who take it without a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
I started very low, 300 was too much for me at first, so started and got used to 200, hoping to go up to 300 monday as I couldn't tolerate trazadone

I found 300 too sedating so I dropped back to 100 nightly, and 100 extra when desired. I have kept that going ever since.

It might be worth a try to take a very small dose to see if it helps. It's better to be lower.

Does gabapentin make anyone else feel....for lack of a better work...icky?  Been on for 2 1/2 weeks. Tried 300, then to 200, then 300 again and now back to 200. I just don't feel good ....almost flulike ?

Not currently tapering but I don't think I'm stable either. Sleep is still f-ed up, body is still f-ed up, hr all over the place.

Supposed to be on my period but skipped it by starting another pack, know that doesn't always stop pms and symptoms though