Need Reassurance re: Sleep

[ho...]

Hi All,  I am 6 weeks post a 5 month taper of Ativan that I took for 10 months.  I injured myself and had a panic attack that brought on anxiety and insomnia out of nowhere.  I trialed multiple drugs over the year, but could not tolerate any of them.  I never had any sleep issues prior to this happening nor was I ever on medication.  I am exhausted from this whole nightmare, but trying my hardest to maintain hope that I will recover someday. 

I’ve had lots of testing done.  Hormones are normal, thyroid ok, no leaky gut or candida, only 1 vitamin deficiency.  I do have the MTHFR C677T mutation and am likely in Stage 2 or 3 adrenal fatigue. 

Since I jumped, I have been managing to get between 3 to 7 hours of broken sleep by taking magnesium, lactium and 1.5 mg of melatonin.  Unfortunately, in the past 4 nights I had 2 nights of 0 sleep.  This hasn’t happened since my taper.  I’m trying not to get too scared about it, but my head feels like it’s going to explode.

Looking for success stories and encouragement.  I so desperately want to heal and get my life back.  I’m missing out on so much precious time with my son.  I had to leave my job of 20 years because of this. 

I’m being told the melatonin might be rebounding on me and to quit, but I’m scared and will have to slowly taper it.  I hope this is just a blip in the healing process.  I have had a few brief windows, but I’m largely suffering daily with pain, fatigue, dry, blurry eyes, head pressure, cortisol surges, mild hand tremors, burning, anxiety, depression and heart palps.  Fun times!!!

Hi, I've been there. Early on in WD I had lots of zero nights. It is freaky and scary, but somehow we survive. I feel like sleeping in WD/recovery has its own windows and waves and we just have to hold on until the next window when we are able to sleep. Hope you get some soon...

Hi and sorry you are experiencing these sleep issues... So many of us have experienced the same exact thing.  Sleep can be so crazy for a while to come unfortunately.

All the issues you are feeling from anxiety to blurry dry eyes is very common during WD.... you would be surprised to know these can last alot longer than you would think.  I had experienced a lot of things and most of what you are saying.  I remember daily hating that my eyes were so blurry and dry and that bright sunlight felt harsh to me.  I had pressure in my head with ringing ears... During the beginning I had lots of involuntary small muscle spasms... So yea everything you are experiencing is normal.

I also feel like a lot of us now are hyper aware of our sleep and our sleep patterns so much that we always think we sleep less than we really sleep.  Now I know 0 hr nights are harsh but try not to over think it and just try to relax and enjoy being in bed.  I found that if I keep my room really cool, really dark and super comfy bed, sheets and pillow I have gotten more sleep.... Kinda like how you can sleep better in a nice hotel room because of all those combos. 

Try your best to just go with the flow.  The more you fight it mentally the more of a tole it takes on your body.... I just roll with everything now and all my side effects have gone long ago which is great!

Thank you both for the replies.  Thankfully, I slept 6 broken hours last night.  Way better than 0!  I dialed back on the supps that I was taking as I think I was complicating things in desperation.  For now, I’m sticking with tart cherry pills, lactium, magnesium and a little melatonin.  I got rid of Tryptophan and a homeopathic remedy.  I plan to taper the melatonin as soon as I start to see improvements.  I think I’m going to switch to Herbatonin as I read about it on here.  It’s natural, not synthetic.  Trying to come to acceptance re: what my life will be like as I heal.

Hi Hopeful,

The zero nights are terrible, but they pass with time.  I had close to 65 or 70 over eight months.  As others have said, it is pretty common.  For some people, the further they get out from their jump date, the worse symptoms get...TEMPORARILY...remember this whole thing is UP and DOWN for quite some time for most.  You might sleep well for a few days a week or a few weeks only to get thrown back into poor sleep for a similar amount of time.

I got hit by a wave at 18  months off that lasted a total of 29 days and had 4 zero nights and about 10-12 nights of 1 -2 hours .  You are still pretty early on in your withdrawal, so things will even out.  Promise!  :)

Thanks, Theway.  I have to come to a place of acceptance that there will be ups and downs and probably some 0s along the way as I heal.  I also need to really take it easy as I’ve found that if I do too much then my CNS goes into overdrive and it takes a lot to calm it down.

Also get your Vitamin D levels checked.  I believe that made a difference in my sleep once I got that up (it was low).

High doses of Vitamin D can cause insomnia too though so for a few months I took a lower dose Vitamin D in the morning to get my levels up where they were in "range".  My endo tried to put me on a mega dose of Vitamin D once a week and WOW did it cause insomnia.  Avoid that.

Thanks!  All my vitamin levels are good.  I was only low on Riboflavin.  I do take 1000IU of D3 anyway.

Sometimes vitamin and supplements can make the healing delay.

I could not take ( and many people same ) any vitamin or supplements... everything made my symptoms worst.

But I saw for some people helped later on in a withrawl.

Best wishes

Vica

I’m 2 months out and I feel like my sleep is worsening.  When I jumped, I was getting between 3-7 hours most nights.  I take 1.5mg of melatonin, magnesium and lactium.  Now, I’m having more bad nights where I don’t feel like I’m sleeping at all.  So exhausted and scared.  Does it get better?  Even for those with bad insomnia?

I’m 2 months out and I feel like my sleep is worsening.  When I jumped, I was getting between 3-7 hours most nights.  I take 1.5mg of melatonin, magnesium and lactium.  Now, I’m having more bad nights where I don’t feel like I’m sleeping at all.  So exhausted and scared.  Does it get better?  Even for those with bad insomnia?

Unfortunately that's how it plays out for lots of people.  I had my worst insomnia between months 4-8. 

Remember there is no rhyme or reason in withdrawal.  Throw logic out the door.  Expect the unexpected. 

But also remember this is all TEMPORARY and reversible.  Your sleep will return on its own schedule.  Your body/brain will get all the sleep it needs until things even out.

Sleep is usually the last thing to return/resolve for most?  Although you feel terrible, please know that lack of sleep cannot hurt you and it cannot kill you.

You WILL heal.  You WILL get your sleep back.  Promise!  :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately that's how it plays out for lots of people.  I had my worst insomnia between months 4-8. 

Remember there is no rhyme or reason in withdrawal.  Throw logic out the door.  Expect the unexpected. 

But also remember this is all TEMPORARY and reversible.  Your sleep will return on its own schedule.  Your body/brain will get all the sleep it needs until things even out.

Sleep is usually the last thing to return/resolve for most?  Although you feel terrible, please know that lack of sleep cannot hurt you and it cannot kill you.

You WILL heal.  You WILL get your sleep back.  Promise!  :thumbsup:

I love your write ups! I’m in severe tolerance on 15 mg temazapam, I get 1-2 hours a night for 9 months now and still need to taper🤦🏻‍♂️But I think the only way through for me, is gonna be straight through, let the chips fall where they may. Cuz these pills are killing me. Some of us don’t have the option of being perfectly stable before our taper, I’m one of them. Onward!