Remeron....told to stop suddenly?!!

[mi...]

Hi

I have finished a valium taper and on prozac 10mg and remeron 22.5.

Got a second opinion from a new psych recentlt  who also is meant to deal with headaches and sleep.

He said to stop remeron suddenly and add in low dose Endep (amitryptiline).  Also add in indomethacin and incr prozac from 10 to 20.

And..to do these all the same time.

Surely it would seem better to wean gradually off remeron ?

I know my CNS is fragile at moment.

When asked,  he said the Endep will 'cover' coming off the remeron. 

I also asked if my headaches lesson,  how will i know if its indo or endep which helped.  He replied it would be indo since he gave me endep for sleep. 

Im ok trying indomethacin as my neurologist also wants me to try.

Does any of this sound about concerning and perhaps double checm this with another dr ?

Thanks for any replies!!

Most folks have little or no difficulty coming off of Remeron.

I took 22.5-30mgs/day for 2 1/2 years. I did a w 2 week taper (15mg/7day, 7.5mg/7 days) then stopped.  Zero WD sxs.

I had an extremely difficult time stopping and this actually led to the benzo prescription in the first place. Be careful.

Same here. I came off 30 mg in a month and "then came benzo"

Thank you for the replies and sharing your experience.

It seems even the user who had an easy time still actually weaned (ie 2 weeks).  For this new dr to suggest stopping suddenly seems too much. 

Thank you for the replies and sharing your experience.

It seems even the user who had an easy time still actually weaned (ie 2 weeks).  For this new dr to suggest stopping suddenly seems too much.

IMO, one should never simply "stop" taking any med they have been on for a long time.  While you many not have a dependency, your body has nevertheless become accustomed to its continued presence, and a short taper simply makes sense.

What I read in many cases is that people who say they had a hard time coming off Remeron also had some other drug issues at the same time and they may have erroneously attributed their other issues to Remeron stoppage. Even in this link, I went to some of the previous commenters' logs and found that they were already withdrawing from benzos or some other drugs when they also stopped Remeron. When one alters two drug doses at the same time, it's hard to tell what's causing what.

The only drug that I stopped cold turkey at that time was remeron. I started tapering Klonopin almost half a year later, after I stabilized from remeron CT.

I was in multiple support groups for people withdrawing from remeron and for a lot of them remeron was the only drug they stopped. There are several distinct remeron withdrawal symptoms (like allergies and asthma) that are unique to remeron. Also, I never had brain zaps during benzo wd , that's a symptom  associated with ADs.

Yes, for sure, but the difference between being in Klonopin tolerance and then adding remeron wd was extreme. I was uncomfortable but functional before stopping remeron. 3 days after remeron CT I ended up in the hospital for 9 days, fighting for my life. I stabilized in 2.5 months. Became functional again, while still on the same dose of Klonopin.

Besides, this is a BB forum, so the original poster is no stranger to benzo wd. So there's not much difference.

Yes, for sure, but the difference between being in Klonopin tolerance and then adding remeron wd was extreme. I was uncomfortable but functional before stopping remeron. 3 days after remeron CT I ended up in the hospital for 9 days, fighting for my life. I stabilized in 2.5 months. Became functional again, while still on the same dose of Klonopin.

Besides, this is a BB forum, so the original poster is no stranger to benzo wd. So there's not much difference.

I don't question your horrible experience and am very sorry you had to go through it. I wouldn't want to CT Remeron myself while tapering Klonopin. I'm planning to wait at least half a year or more after finishing the Klonopin taper and being fine before stopping Remeron. Even then, I will not CT it. Tapering is probably best with all psychiatric drugs.