Anyone benefited from switching K to V

[Du...]

I was wondering if most people on klonopin switch over to Valium, and if they do is there any benefits. Not sure if I should switch to Valium or sum say it’s the way to go others say stick to the drug u know best. So I’m just curious what ppl here think....... I’ve been thinking about switching but worried about the depression and over sedation I keep hearing with Valium.

Hey

I was on K for a few weeks and it made me super depressed and I swapped to V and got severe WDs, but I didn’t do it slowly or at the right equivalent.

My experience is that they are very different drugs, K seems to have a much stronger neurological effect. V I found, although has a longer half life, the active metabolites are shorter so I find your anxiety feeling isn’t as covered as K. But that was just my experience!

If you do I’d do a slow taper over guided by one of the admins on here, hope that helps a bit

☺️

Hey

I was on K for a few weeks and it made me super depressed and I swapped to V and got severe WDs, but I didn’t do it slowly or at the right equivalent.

My experience is that they are very different drugs, K seems to have a much stronger neurological effect. V I found, although has a longer half life, the active metabolites are shorter so I find your anxiety feeling isn’t as covered as K. But that was just my experience!

If you do I’d do a slow taper over guided by one of the admins on here, hope that helps a bit

☺️

Yes this is very true the actual onset duration of klonopin is longer than Valium I think it’s actually the longest of any Benzo, which is the main reason I’m worried about crossing over to V. Thanks for sharing your experience.

No probs dubcity!

Hopefully you can taper off on the K, if you’re only on a small amount.

If you struggle getting lower could be worth a switch so you can milk it all the way down :)

I learnt the hard way so I’d rather help than see anyone suffer like me, before I found this site! Hindsight... 🤷🏽‍♀️

• 1 month later...

No, was big mistake for me.  But am also on ambien, so maybe that plays a role?

I wish I had tapered from K.

I do not understnd the onset thing if anyone wishes to explain.

Yes this is very true the actual onset duration of klonopin is longer than Valium I think it’s actually the longest of any Benzo, which is the main reason I’m worried about crossing over to V. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Valium has a longer half-life than klonopin.  It lasts longer but takes longer to have an effect and is weaker.  That is why Dr. Ashton lists the Klonopin as being 20 times as strong as Valium.

This is why Ashton has people switch to higher doses of Valium and use that to taper.  Also, because the valium is available in lower doses which makes it easier to taper with.

I switched over to Valium from Klonopin very quickly.  I had taken Valium before and had some on hand and it worked for me.  That isn't to say that it will work for everyone else, so you might want to do a more gradual substitution the way the Ashton Manual suggests.

• 1 month later...

I've switched from K to V - I'm using as little V as possible, I was prescribed upto 10mg a day from my 0.5mg K use (dropped from 1mg a day, sometimes more if I felt like it)

It takes a bit of getting used to. V doesn't seem to provide the 'instant gratification' that K does. I've been on xanax before, and found that was very quick. I thought 'great, K is a great compromised between V and X'. Bad thinking :)

In saying this, K seemed to affect me more neurologically (slow thinking, tired a lot) and since taking V my muscles feel more relaxed but my brain feels more awake. So I would say I've definitely benefited from it.

For me was very bad move.  Been stuck on bits of valium and it causes lots of depression, imo.

Have lots of sensory/thinking issues.  Was way sharper on Klon-- which I took only at night and hellped with sleep

I am happy the Valium option is out there, I know at least one member who felt they were stuck until their crossover to v. But I have been doing well tapering directly from k. I am grateful that I didn't roll the dice with a cross unnecessarily.

Fyi, klonopin is available in the US and UK in 0.125 MG strength, which is equivalent to 2.5 MG valium, and valium only comes in 2 mg and up, so, as far as the technical side goes, not much harder to taper with.

It really is a different drug. One works better for some, the other, for others. I would say don't switch unless you have already determined it too difficult to taper directly. I know you have been put through the wringer by the brand changes, but before that, were you stable?

I'm 14 days through a K to V crossover. I voluntarily took a lower dose of V than I was supposed to, hoping for the best.

Severe headaches, stiff neck, hallucinations (especially when going into bright light, or coming back into a dark room), inability to concentrate, no appetite, dizziness. The dizziness/feeling of being disconnected was probably the worst. It seems it's all clearing up now. K wreaked havoc on my poor brain, but it's feeling better now. Down to just 2.5mg of valium at night. I can see light at the end of the tunnel, I hope.

I'm 14 days through a K to V crossover. I voluntarily took a lower dose of V than I was supposed to, hoping for the best.

Severe headaches, stiff neck, hallucinations (especially when going into bright light, or coming back into a dark room), inability to concentrate, no appetite, dizziness. The dizziness/feeling of being disconnected was probably the worst. It seems it's all clearing up now. K wreaked havoc on my poor brain, but it's feeling better now. Down to just 2.5mg of valium at night. I can see light at the end of the tunnel, I hope.

That's wonderful. I don't know what's going on with me. Have a feeling i'm not metabolizing V. 😭

How did you cross over?