Benzo Withdrawal Symptoms. Physical and Cognitive/Sensory. Heart.

[Cu...]

Upon my reading of posts and my own personal experiences throughout this journey, I'd like to share what I've learned along with further helpful information and where to locate on web.  I have been fortunate enough to be able to spend some time doing copious amounts of research.

Knowledge is Power! :thumbsup:

Many people are experiencing a very wide-ranging scope of withdrawal symptoms, some of which may be quite alarming and some end up at the E.R. and/or having batteries of tests, which in many cases end up being inconclusive with no clear diagnosis.  Plain and simple: that's withdrawal.  You may have already been in withdrawal prior to beginning an Active Taper.  That's because your body has become physically dependent on the benzo. as tolerance develops and your dose may not have been increased for some time, so withdrawal symptoms may begin appearing, i.e. it took me a long time to realize the depression and anxiety which increased to a largely debilitating point over 2 years prior to active taper was due to this. 

Benzo's affect GABA, a neurotransmitter, which affects functioning of the Central Nervous System (CNS), which, in turn, regulates all systemic functioning throughout the body.  This is why w/d symptoms can be spread over many different areas, which I'm relegating into 2 physical and cognitive (brain) /sensory.  Physical being pain, which can include nerve & neuropathy (tingling, "pins & needles", muscle/joint.  Cognitive/Sensory can be vision disturbances (bright lights) hearing changes (tinnitus), skin sensations (itching) and very important one in this category which should be kept in mind throughout w/d: A Heightened Awareness of Everything Occurring Throughout Body.

I've given Heart it's own category, as it can fall under either physical or cognitive.  I've read many posts about feelings of heart palpitations, heart pounding, erratic heartbeat, etc., all of which can be either true physical changes or that heightened awareness and that's an important distinction.  So many end up going to the ER, Walk-in Medical Center, and/or physician.  Tests often come back showing no physical abnormalities.  I, myself, experienced heart changes.  It can be alarming when that occurs.  I'd already done a great deal of research & felt it was most probably a withdrawal symtom.  My blood pressure had been running borderline high while taking ativan (lorezepam) which added to my concern.  However, since I'd already done so much research on this, I felt it was probably a withdrawal symptom.  It was, b/c as my body adjusted to fresh tapers (usually after about a week) that feeling subsided, and by approx. the 3rd month disappeared altogether.  By that time, I'd added the natural supplment, Taurine.  Some may feel skeptical about putting anything new in their bodies by now (myself included).  Taurine is a naturally occuring amino acid, which plays a role in functions throughout our bodies.  For further information, please visit healthline.com, other medical information websites, or literature. 

Regarding that heightened awareness, what has helped guide me the most is realizing that if I'm experiencing any new feeling it's most likely a withdrawal symptom.  A comprehensive listing can be found under The Ashton Manual, webpage www.benzo.org.uk.  Remember, benzo w/d affects entire CNS & there are many possible symptoms.  In order not to predispose yourself to thinking you may have some before they occur, as well as to not find this listing overwhelming or discouraging, just view the symptoms you're experiencing.  This should help to calm you some IF or when you experience a w/d symptom.

Physical pain.  This is so quantifiable, it is exceptionally difficult to try to describe pain you are feeling to another person.  The medical community has pain scales, i.e. from 1 (lowest) to 10 (highest).  Since this is so subjective to each individuals' experiences, one may describe their pain as a 3, while another may describe the same pain as a 10.  Most people, even those who are not going through this, are deficient in Vitamin D (the sunshine vitamin), due to less & less sun exposure.  It is important to add this supplement (more on that in Depression when I add that post).  B vitamins, especially B-12 can be low in some individuals; adding that may help, as well as magnesium, turmeric root, tart cherry (available in liquid or capsule) and possibly, iron.  Strengthening exercises/gentle yoga may also be beneficial.  Topical lidocaine.  Massage.  There are a myriad of alternative therapies.  Read as you are able, since too much info. may cause a feeling of despair or be overwhelming...if/when that occurs, read success stories/blogs and anything which is uplifting and/or enlightening pertaining to this or just anything you enjoy.   

Wherever you are in your benzo withdrawal, try to remember, especially when gripped with w/d symptoms that are painful and/or debilitating..The only way through it Is Through It.  As these chemical poisons are leaving your body you may have to deal with some discomfort to reach the other end.  Do your best to hold onto hope and determination.  You're most likely a stronger person than you may believe & if you already believe you are strong-Congrats..You Are!  Everyone here is.  Be kind to yourselves.  I'll be doing more posts in the Community Forum in More Support/Depression and The Nexus/Chewing The Fat.  In the meantime, I'd love to hear from anyone else and wish you all good luck.  Stay Strong! :thumbsup:

Great post . That’s my story until I finally realized it was the Ativan . Slow tapering now doing ok . Thanks for the post it helps a lot .

Good Read! I cannot tell you how many times I have referred to the Ashton Manual. It seems to give a little peace of mind. I am only 10 days off of my 9 month taper. I know this is going to be hard. I will NEVER put anything like this into my body again. Given that everybody is different do you have any references as to how long the phases may last? Grasping for any answers or support.

Thanks in advance

Thanks for the informative post.:) Newly heightened awareness of body sensations and the heart palpitations for sure..  As for me, about 2 months after my taper, I  began having the palpitations, as well as feeling and hearing my heart pounding loudly. This lasted about 2  weeks or so.. I have always had low blood pressure, and even when anxious and excited, never really had this, or noticed it, for that matter.. so this has been alarming.

I had been taking Amoxicillan for a UTI and had just begun to try Seraquil that was suggested for sleep. At some point, when I thought the drugs might be causing this, I just stopped them both. The issues subsided significantly. However, it seems that ever since, if I take or consume any substances that don't agree with me, such as alcohol or too much caffeine or sugar, it happens again. I am beginning to become PARANOID of many substances because of this, especially anything new for sleep. Ugh! Soo tired, n my usual Melaton is not enough anymore. :/

As per my last reply, I meant to say that my heart palpitations and heart pounding decreased after stopping those prescriptions. I am sure it is wise to take our antibiotics when necessary.. n I found out later, from my pharmacist that Amoxocicillan and Seroquel can interact causing "heart palpitations"

I am just confused as to why this was the beginning of these particular symptoms for me, and why I still often have them. Pardon any confusion to those who may be reading this. Sleep deprived, foggy brained n in pain right now. :P 

Worst for me is tooth pain caused from jaw clenching in sleep (never done before) usually it’s my arms but this last drop is horrendous. I’m being positive and swelling has gone down but I’m looking forward to the pain being relieved as it’s hard to cope with

Good luck to everyone!

I too was glad to see this. I woke up an hour ago from my usual heart palpitations along with the female symptoms of heart attack. This is scary for me and I'm afraid to see a doctor or go to the ER because no one believes me or understands.

I'd like to know more about the Taurine and if it's helpful for heart symptoms.

Can someone weigh in on this?

Peace

Thanks for this post! It’s so true. I did a lot of research preparation for my taper, so when these physical symptoms started happening, this knowledge helped me not translate them or attribute them to anything other than WD.

And if a really strange one shows up, I google it or search here, and find it.

since i was on two medications, one i was on for a very long time, and the other was xanax - I can tell you that i have had just about every WD symptom you can imagine.

I still dont know if its all WD or not.

So the your post helps a lot. It helps me to think that I can get thru this if its all WD.

Thanks