Taper rates

[oc...]

Is 5 -10 percent the  recommended taper rates for all benzos?

I have been on xanax for about 4 months now and I would like to get off this sooner than later. 

Has anyone successfully cut faster without going thru a lot of WD symptoms being on xanax for 4-6 months?

thanks

I think that the concensus is that there is no concensus. It is kind of like the sell by date on food. Some food goes bad around that date, or even sooner, and some is good for weeks after. The sell by date is set where the majority of the time, the food is still good (looks good, tastes good, in addition to safe to eat). The 5-10% is where the majority of people have minimal symptoms. It's not to say that some cannot taper faster, just to give a baseline that is known to almost always be accepted. Everyone is different, there are so many variables involved in treating the human organism. The only way to know what works for you is to try. I think that is the only truly honest answer anyone can give you.

ocean34

I couldn't do 10%. If i could do it over again and not waste so much time--the latest was five weeks and I had to reinstate, I'd go with 5% because slow would get me there instead of back where I started. Just my experience so I'm passing it on. I wanted off 'too' bad, and now I've lost ground, so I'm gonna hold the ground for a while. Hope you find what works for you.

I'm tapering xanax, after being on it for 2 years. You can try going fast in the beginning. But it takes 2 or 3 days for symptoms to show. And when symptoms show, it can be pretty unpleasant.

Start off slow. If you can handle it, you can go faster.

I first started by cutting 25% from my daily dose (cutting one of two daily doses in half). On the 3rd day it was VERY unpleasant. I reinstated to my normal dose, and it took about 3 days to feel better.

So I started a daily liquid micro taper. I tapered 10% every 10 days.  When I hit the 0.8 mg daily mark it got a little unpleasant, just a little. So I held and slowed my taper. When I got down to 0.7 mg I quickened my taper again.

I've held a couple of times after that. But for the most part, it's been pretty easy. Now I am tapering 20-25% every 10 days, and it's going pretty good.

I also went from dosing twice a day to more frequent dosing throughout the day. The nice thing about the liquid is you can pour out your daily dose and just take several swigs throughout the day to even out the dosing.

I'm tapering fast, 25%-33%-50%-50% and it's horrible but not unbearable. :sick:

I have no job or children or responsibilities though, if i did i would have definitely lost something by now. It's not a consistent discomfort, at the moment i just feel a headache and not much else but earlier today i was in a lot of pain and considering hospitalizing myself. (Which i told myself i'm not going to do unless i actually start tying up a noose.)

I first started by cutting 25% from my daily dose (cutting one of two daily doses in half). On the 3rd day it was VERY unpleasant. I reinstated to my normal dose, and it took about 3 days to feel better.

This was my experience, but i chose to tough it out and not up-dose, after the 4-5th day you get used to it I'm noticing. I have no idea how bad the upcoming 'jump' will be but i plan to save a 'rescue dose' for myself. :crazy:

thanks for all the responses.

I have been cutting 1 or 2 percent a day. I might stick to this and see how i feel for a week or so and if it doesnt get too bad i might cut some more.