what other med helped you?

[Ho...]

hello buddies, i think i am in tolerance withdrawal / kindled after 2 unsuccessful tapers. i know noone can give advice what to take or not. i just want to have like a survey of what helped others and what did not.

i find tapering a lot difficult now and im seriously considering adjuct meds. mirtazapine, gabapentin, pregabalin are some of the top of my list right now.

please share your experiences. thanks all

I had a very smooth taper, so I'm not sure that I'm the one to help here...

But I got shingles in early October and still have nerve damage.  My doctor prescribed Gabapentin.  So, while it was for my nerve pain, I noticed a reduction in my anxiety and it reduced my, (admittedly very mild), w/d symptoms to the point where I began to forget my dose...

I was already very close to my planned "jump" dose, and I believe that the Gabapentin gave me just enough of a lift to stop.

I'm only a couple of weeks "post-jump" so the jury is still out ... but so far, I'm doing well.

I think the Gabapentin assisted with that final step of my taper, (but I would not have started on it if I had not had the nerve issues.)

I had a very smooth taper, so I'm not sure that I'm the one to help here...

But I got shingles in early October and still have nerve damage.  My doctor prescribed Gabapentin.  So, while it was for my nerve pain, I noticed a reduction in my anxiety and it reduced my, (admittedly very mild), w/d symptoms to the point where I began to forget my dose...

I was already very close to my planned "jump" dose, and I believe that the Gabapentin gave me just enough of a lift to stop.

I'm only a couple of weeks "post-jump" so the jury is still out ... but so far, I'm doing well.

I think the Gabapentin assisted with that final step of my taper, (but I would not have started on it if I had not had the nerve issues.)

thanks for sharing your experience JannaBean and congrats on finishing your taper !

• 2 weeks later...
I think I'm where you are at 10 mgs.  It's like I went COLD TURKEY.  I've been on HOLD for a month now and the horrible symptoms won't stabilize.  That's why I think I'm in tolerance also.  I'm also looking for other avenues to help me.  If you know of any or find out what might help us, PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP!

For us that are sensitized this whole experience is a roller coaster that goes wherever it wants on a given day, it's quite common to feel like you do and your brain telling you to take action and do something, when the reality is that what everybody says around here is the best advice, taper slow, eat healthy, avoid sugar and caffeine, etc... Up-dosing like you did doesn't count as kindling, you have to be off completely and then go back on. The other important common advice is not to put anymore drugs in your system, that said, I did give in and start Mirtazapine when I reached my breaking point, the only regret is that it made me fatter, but I do think it saved my life.

hello buddies, i think i am in tolerance withdrawal / kindled after 2 unsuccessful tapers. i know noone can give advice what to take or not. i just want to have like a survey of what helped others and what did not.

i find tapering a lot difficult now and im seriously considering adjuct meds. mirtazapine, gabapentin, pregabalin are some of the top of my list right now.

please share your experiences. thanks all

Thank you ANGELS!  Yes, I'm on a longer hold staying at 10 mg till I Stabilize.  Not happening as yet.  One day at a time.

Hang in there Hope... :)

It can take some time, and be a bit up n down for a while, -When holding for more stability...

I hope things ease up for you soon...

Great job so far.. Have faith, healing is a great feeling, and you will experience it in time...

:)

Mirtazipine helped me enormously when I first quit Ativan, helped sleep, mood and anxiety.

A real life saver and not too stimulating on the CNS like snri etc which were like taking amphetamines for my poor fried system! That’s just my experience everyone is different but I have tried a lot 😝

Lyrica seems to help some but can be a nasty drug. Sent me to ED a few weeks ago as one dose was like I got electrocuted. But I’m a sensitive soul who’s messed up from too many changes lol

Thank you CantFly.  Yes, I intend to HOLD and GP will go along with me since my BP is out of control for now.  IF it does get back in control, not sure if he'll let me stay on Hold ..he will push me to get off faster.  But my husband comes in with me, we will talk to him about it.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been thinking of trying Lexapro or maybe gabapentin. My doc is against me going on gabapentin though which is probably a good call. Really at this point I just want something to make me feel better. I don't care if it shortens my life.

I know a couple of people who, like me, have severe ME who tried to get off of Clonazepam but couldn’t. They now but Memantine online for interdose withdrawal and it works very well.

Both said Memantine stopped their withdrawal symptoms with in a few days.

Obviously buying pharmaceuticals online is a very dangerous thing to do and I wouldn’t do it myself.

I asked an expert addiction shrinkwho said there is no clinical reason not to take Memantine.

I also asked my neuro who said he couldn’t prescribe it off-label for me but would do if he could.

Gwinna

I tried CBD oil, throat swelled shut, had to go to ER.  Apparently a severe Allergic reaction.  So that's out for me.

Yikes! Sorry to hear that, Hopeforrecovery. I hope you've been able to find other things that work for you.

Gwinna

Hope, I wonder if you had an allergic reaction to the oil itself, and not the mj in it. Also, some oils are flavored -- I just tried one with mint. Yuck. Really, G*d knows what's in it. I have a CBD tincture that I make myself and will just stick to that from now on.

Like Gwinna, marijuana helped me immensely through my taper. Indica marijuana. And I didn't smoke it, I made tinctures. Now I have a CBD tincture and an indica THC tincture that I use for different purposes. I am so glad I had the guts to try mj. I use it now primarily for sleep.

Another med that that helped me was hydroxyzine. It helped anxiety and helped me sleep.

Katz

Gwinna,

Not really.  I am taking California Poppy extract, which is from the flower not the seed.  But it's really not helping as much as I had hoped. 

oregonkatz,

Back in the 80s, I tried to smoke Pot with some stupid friends.  I could not urinate for 9 hours!  So, yes, I'm allergic all the way allergic.

Memantine?  Isn't that for alzheimer's?  What type of dr. rx's that and is it safe?

I've been 2 years almost all in acute (symptoms not timing)  and I, too, thinking of what to do as cannot go on like this.

I sure would NOT take mirtazapine, as it got me into this mess.  In fact, don't really know if I could have just updosed K at the time and maybe would have stabilized.  However, did not do what drs suggested when they told me mirtazapine could not do this and I know it did (sick on and and basically CT off it as had only been 6 weeks-- who knew?)  With me, could be valium or ambien making me so sick, I don't know.  Another benzo might be best answer for me (not you!)

Otherwise, how about Belsomra?  It does not work on gaba I am told.  It is for sleep which was my pre benzo issue (don't know all  of yours...)

Hydroxazine and really any antihistamine dries me out too much to take-- it is painful.  A 1/4 of a "unisom" maybe helps a little.

CBD oil tried before and can try again, but felt worse on it I think.  I really could use info on mj if anyone can help me.  THC gummies make me sleep but then I feel lousy.  Did experience the problem peeing from an indica (why is that) and I do tend to get ravenous and throat dries out and hurts.  sigh.

I've been "pure" and not added anything but at 2 years and not off and so disabled, interested in what is suggested here.

What about the various supplements (ashwaganda, etc) we are generally told not to take?

Sorry I asked a bunch of questions-- not found what helps me yet so am short on suggestions.  Oh, zinc and half a B complex vitamin I think helps me relax some some of the time!

Regarding Memantine and Lyrica.

AJUSTA, you are absolutely right! :) Never ever test unknown medicines.

Unfortunately, there are no medications that can help us. Just to be free from Benzo, then the healing begins. During the recovery, when Benzo is out of the body, then the brain and nervous system are very sensitive. Other medicines, can cause major problems and setbacks. The brain must be healed in peace. 

Lyrica affects GABA, and a "sister" to Benzo. In Sweden, it's classified as a drug. I tested, in panic, after a couple of months. A big setback, with hallucinations and DR/DP.

Memantine, belongs to a group of medicines used in dementia. They affect the memory signals in the brain. If you start using this medicine, then it can get very serious effects.

I have worked as a nurse, at the neurologic clinic. Unfortunately, I have seen what can happen, if you buy medicines online. But, the healthcare, know nothing about Benzo and WD. So many unnecessary, and completely incorrect, diagnoses.

Take care!  :)        /Anna

PYOUNG, for safety's sake, I have checked the texts with the health care. It is always difficult with medical text in English, but I make a try! :)

Lyrica and Gabapentin are antiepileptic, and anticonvulsant drugs. Both belong to the same pharmaceutical family. But some differences are identified as regards the diseases they are used for, potency and side effects.

Gabapentin:  The substance is a strukturanalog to the neurotransmitter GABA.

Lyrica (Pregabalin) increases the conversion of glutamate into GABA, resulting in higher amounts of GABA in nerve cells (and therefore probably increases GABA transfer).

Both options are just as bad. In Swedish healthcare, they warn against these drugs and WD. In addition, the side effects are similar to WD, and it can be seriously. So, no other drugs, the brain must rest during reconstruktion. And especially from these, that affect GABA.