New symptom, Difficulty Swallowing and choking easily.

[Te...]

Detoxed July 2018 after 20 years on Xanax. Lots of Symptoms. A new concerning symptom started several weeks ago. It's very difficult to swallow and I choke easily. Anybody have this symptom? My Doctor wants to run imagining tests and I had rather not, if it's common withdrawal symptom. TIA

[21...]

Ive seen a few people complain of this, i have it pretty bad, ive had it a long time now come to think of it, its like living with your throat like 3/4 constricted it feels like. Whenever i take a drink, i choke on it a little bit, almost every first sip of something. once i start drinking im ok, but the first sip often goes down the wrong pipe. sometimes theres pressure on my windpipe, right on the front of my throat.

i never had any of this before benzo insanity

Yes. This is a common WD symptom. For some reason, benzo WD affects the GI Tract greatly, causing problems and symptoms from mouth to rear end. I had the same sensation and it scared me, too. This will pass. Just give it time. I know its scary.....so much of what we go through is.

People who took benzos for a LONG time, like you and I, tend to have worse withdrawals. But I can tell you that it really is worth going through it all. I am now 68 and am healthier than I have been in perhaps 25 years. (I took benzos for 30 years.) Benzos, over time, start to damage you in all sorts of ways. But in MY experience, it is all reversible.

east

Reassurance helps especially with this symptom. I have generalized moderate muscle weakness. My throat muscles have not been spared. My muscle weakness seems to have gotten worse. All I can do at this point is do light housework.

Before my rapid detox I was very active. I actually feel disabled now. It's a relief to know this weakness is temporary! :D

• 2 months later...
I get the same thing too. I think its because our bodies are so anxious and tense that we spaz on doing things that require some finesse..like swallowing food or trying to not inhale what we are drinking. Hell, I have choked trying to swallow the spit in my mouth. I feel like a big spazzy geek.

I have this. Sometimes my throat feels too open and I can’t control swallowing for that reason - also can’t manipulate food properly with tongue. Other times throat feels constricted and can’t get food to move down it.

Detoxed July 2018 after 20 years on Xanax. Lots of Symptoms. A new concerning symptom started several weeks ago. It's very difficult to swallow and I choke easily. Anybody have this symptom? My Doctor wants to run imagining tests and I had rather not, if it's common withdrawal symptom. TIA

This one has caused me so much worry. I still get these panic attacks & when they’re building up I’ll try & swallow & it’s like my brain & the nerve responsible can’t make the connection. It used to scare the shit out of me but has been slowly getting better to the point of if not even happening during my anxiety attacks. I do still get this lump in my throat sort of feeling tho. Also pain on both nerves running down my neck & esophagus. It’s definitely improving, just really slowly. Never had anything like this before benzo’s

Easy...

I can totally relate to the pain in the neck...I have it all the time. It's like I am tensing up my neck/throat.

Ahhh it’s so weird isn’t it? It was way worse when I was getting off suboxone concurrently. I think bc opioids suppress ur gag reflex that my nerve respoonsible for swallowing was constantly irritated. I’d get this feeling like my stomach was tightening up so bad that it was pushing up through my esophagus. I’d constantly try swallowing & sometimes I just couldn’t. At first it was terrifying but as time has gone on I’ve noticed a huge decrease in its consistency & intensity. It seems like the worst of it has gone but I can still kinda feel it. Much more manageable tho.