BP Spiking in dangerous levels. Stuck on 10 mg valium

[Ho...]

We did go to the ER the other day at 3:00 a.m.  I'm pretty sure we woke the doctor up who was sleeping.  He was Korean.  All he did was try to give me an ADIVAN!  Then he made me sign out when I refused.  That was it.  It's a small town hospital.  I guess we'll have to go to the only ONE Hospital we have downtown but they are overwhelmed thanks to ObamaCARE!

Hmm.  That's malpractice.  You could die with that high of a BP reading and Ativan is not the only thing that brings it down.  I would go to a different doctor wherever they may be or an urgent care clinic.  Report the the doctor who wouldn't treat you another way.

I would go again.  They usually prescribe beta blockers for this.  Prolonged high BP can be very dangerous.  You could also try to make a same-day appointment with a cardiologist or GP. 

GP, I did call the Cardio doc that same day.  Actually, I called the answering service and told another Cardio on call what happened, then I got an AFTERNOON appt with my Cardiologist and it was hard with my BP so High.  It was in the 202/111 so I took 1,000 mg of Potassium which lowered it.  When I got to the Cardiologist's office in the afternoon, it was 176/116.  It was high all day and then they took forever to call in the medication SIGH.  However, the doc I spoke to on the answering service REPORTED that doctor at the hospital ER I went to after I told him the story.  Got a call from the Manager at that hospital and told him what I went through.

I have been an RN for about 36 years, although I no longer practice.

Benzo WD normally causes BPs to rise, due to fear, anxiety and other things. PROLONGED blood pressures above 150/100 CAN be dangerous. NOT always but can be.

The Korean doctor assumed (perhaps rightly) your high BP was from anxiety, so Ativan would sort of make sense, medically. But, IMO, a beta blocker would have been a better choice.

I have had essential hypertension since IU was 25 years old. I am now 68. I have taken many drugs for this over the years.

Benzo WD does tend to raise one's BP, because of the often extreme anxiety one feels. This is a temporary condition, bnut should be treated anyway. It may not mean you end up taking BP meds forever...maybe just for now.

Pursue treatment for this. I know dealing with doctors right now is super scary, because you know they dont know what you are going through benzo-wise. Dont even bring benzos UP. JUST your blood pressure. If you talk about benzo WD you may be written off as just another "nut case" and prescribided more benzos!

hang in there...this stuff does get better!

east

I had extreme spikes of 230/120 for months on end. The only two bp medicines that ultimately helped me-BESIDES benzos are “clonidine” and “nifidipine.” The nifidipine jelcaps would take down a 230 spike to 140 levels quickly. Bp spikes is why I got on benzos to begin with. Speak to your Dr. about nifidipine or “procardia” and message me privately if you want. For months on end i thought i would stroke out and die with hundreds and hundreds of over 200/110 bp spikes-terrified of taking a resue dose. My usage was much higher then yours and I somehow survived without benzos and so will you.

Ps-the clonidine kept my bp lower overall thruOut the day as it has tremendous anxiolitic properties and the nifidipine was used during an active spike to quickly bring it down. Clonidine is an outfdated bp med so not many Drs. will prescribe it except ironically for alcoholics etc. in rehab who are going thru withdrawal. You really should speak to your dr. about this quickly to alleviate your worries. It took me months to finally find the right bp combination after trying every beta blocker every calcium channell blocker and everything else on the market to lower my bp spikes. Only the combo of clinidine and nifidipine worked. I absolutely realize how terrifying the situation is that you find yourself in. I hope my experience assists you because it took months of trial and error thinking i would have a stroke before i found the right combo.  It could save your life. Good luck!

Pss. I just read much of your history. You stated clonidine DID lower your bp so why arent you on it now? Also-i didnt tolerate other calcium channel blockers well either EXCEPT nifidipine which also, thankfully is the one that works very well. When your bp is a life or death situation you need to bring it down quickly which nifidipine does. I actually take the gel out of the gelcap which is why it works so quickly. I have taken everything you have right down to inositol and L theanine without much success. Again-private message me if you want because some of the things i would like to say would probably be censored on this site even though my intention is only to help you. Ive been where you are. Even worse. My bp spiked much higher for much longer and ive made it through. You WILL see this thru!

Nice post, Wind. Informative and not too technical.

Beta blockers are great but some people need more than this. Essential hyertension can be hard to treat.

Hugs to you all...

east

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Windwalker,

I am sorry I did not get back to you, I still didn't know my way around BB in December to find your answer.  He did give me Clonidine and I only took it off and on in a 3 week period then I began to Stabilize thank GOD.  I'm still on the Spironolactone though.  It's still spiking but only in the high forties at most now.

Thank you for the great ADVICE, it was excellent and timely.  Again, I did read it but I was still learning how to work this site.  Much THANKS!