Announcement: It is with regret... ×

Hypnic Jerks

[Ho...]

I'm just going to take a flyer on this...

I'm having hypnic jerks every night. They prevent me from sleeping at all unless I haven't slept for a couple of nights, and then I might just crash through them with 5-6 hours of broken sleep with heavy night sweats.

Anyone ever found anything, other than another psych drug, that can help a bit with this?

I had those for a brief period of time (a month or two) during my withdrawal.  I couldn't find anything to help me sleep with after I jumped cold turkey.  I tried over 15 other Rx drugs and none of them worked for a night or two. 

The Hypnic jerks are not from Benzos...right?  Not sure what you could take.  Maybe they will end soon?

I had those for a brief period of time (a month or two) during my withdrawal.  I couldn't find anything to help me sleep with after I jumped cold turkey.  I tried over 15 other Rx drugs and none of them worked for a night or two. 

The Hypnic jerks are not from Benzos...right?  Not sure what you could take.  Maybe they will end soon?

No Theway2...I was taking benadryl for 6 days for a cold, and 3 days after cessation, all hell broke lose. I've been taking that stuff for colds, on and off, for at least 6 years. with no problem. I had some hypnic jerks at about 6-7 months out when I ct'd ativan. They only hit about every 3-5 days, so it was managable. This is constant.

I'm just going to take a flyer on this...

I'm having hypnic jerks every night. They prevent me from sleeping at all unless I haven't slept for a couple of nights, and then I might just crash through them with 5-6 hours of broken sleep with heavy night sweats.

Anyone ever found anything, other than another psych drug, that can help a bit with this?

This is one of my worst symptoms and I started getting them again last night after a 2-3 week window. I try to get  up and tire myself out and hope when i try again, I’ll finally fall asleep. Not panicking and staying distracted helps from mentally making the physical symptoms worse. Last night I probably jolted around 200 times over the course of 4-5 hours...it’s tortorous isn’t it?? I eventually fell asleep around 4am after reading and keeping my mind busy and trying again.

There were a few times that I tried cbd oil when the jerks came along with electrical feelings, and that may have helped a bit. I have been trying to get through this without any kind of assistance from meds but I’m not counting out cbd if it gets bad again...which it very well may.

Either way— it WILL pass. The only reason i know this is because it did for me...even though it’s back. Eventually it will be gone for good...for the both of us!

NoMoreBenzoGirl...Thanks for the reply.

I call them hypnic jerks but, I'm not sure that is what they are any more. They started off as hypnic jerks, but have now morphed into something different. It’s hard to describe what is happening, but it would seem that I am either drifting off or being snapped back. My whole body would pulse with large low frequency vibrations during the process. I feel nauseous and depressed just as I come out of it, but then I'm back to normal, wide awake and catching my breath. it's quite unnerving. It happens every time I start to drift off, so I never get to sleep. I wish that I had a name for it. When this first started it would be like getting punched, when it happened. It has now changed to this new feeling. Possibly they're just different forms of the same thing.

Last night I tried something different. I took a magnesium glycinate when I went to bed. When I started feeling that I was going to start drifting off, I made sure that I was on my back. For some reason, in that position, they seem more spread out. When it started I just relaxed the best I could and I woke 3.5 hours later. I did a clock check and closed my eyes and woke 4 hours later. I'm praying that it works again tonight because, last night I was totally fatigued from zero sleep from the night before.

My understanding of hypnic jerks is that they are a natural protective system that stops us from falling asleep standing up. They only kick in as you are transitioning into a sleep phase or, between sleep phases.

Hockey boy, your description was spot on. I get the same exact feeling! I also get heart pounding along with it when it wakes me up. It’s like being tortured all night because your brain is telling you “go to sleep, you are exhausted”  and then JUST as you fall asleep, your body says..”nope!! Not tonight!”. I truly know exactly what you are experiencing!!

The worst of it is that all of the other symptoms seem to be magnified as a result due to the lack of sleep. But ya know what? It’s going to pass! Because it passed for me before and it WILL pass again. Even if we get one hour here and there, eventually our brains will heal. I truly believe this now. It took me a very long time to get to this place of acceptance. I’m definitely not perfect and I can say that I do panic and have moments where I break down and cry out of frustration but I keep telling myself that this is just a wave and it’s my body healing. Coming here and talking with you all is such a huge help as well. Just knowing that others have and are experiencing the same exact symptoms and have made it through. Thank god for Benzobuddies! I’d be in a psych ward on 3948833 psychiatric medications if it wasn’t for this forum...

Hockey boy, your description was spot on. I get the same exact feeling! I also get heart pounding along with it when it wakes me up.

That's right NoMoreBenzoGirl, I forgot to mention that. My normal standing heart rate is usually 57-59. When I wake with this it's in the high 80's to low 90's. It can sometimes take a while for it to settle down again.

I had this during the acute phase, in the spring of 2012 of my benzo wd. It lasted, on and off, for over a month and a half, gradually reducing in frequency. Hopefully it doesn't last any longer this time.

I experienced hypnic jerks when I first came off of Ambien. It seemed to be a response to severe sleep deprivation. I also though that I may have been resisting sleep on some level due to fear that the blackness would be so complete that I would never come out of it. At my worst, I equally feared going to sleep and not being able to go to sleep.  I would often nod off while watching TV and then snap back with such a sudden jerk that it would hurt my neck. These jerks were one of the first withdrawal symptoms to go away.

NoMoreBenzoGirl...Thanks for the reply.

I call them hypnic jerks but, I'm not sure that is what they are any more. They started off as hypnic jerks, but have now morphed into something different. It’s hard to describe what is happening, but it would seem that I am either drifting off or being snapped back. My whole body would pulse with large low frequency vibrations during the process. I feel nauseous and depressed just as I come out of it, but then I'm back to normal, wide awake and catching my breath. it's quite unnerving. It happens every time I start to drift off, so I never get to sleep. I wish that I had a name for it. When this first started it would be like getting punched, when it happened. It has now changed to this new feeling. Possibly they're just different forms of the same thing.

Last night I tried something different. I took a magnesium glycinate when I went to bed. When I started feeling that I was going to start drifting off, I made sure that I was on my back. For some reason, in that position, they seem more spread out. When it started I just relaxed the best I could and I woke 3.5 hours later. I did a clock check and closed my eyes and woke 4 hours later. I'm praying that it works again tonight because, last night I was totally fatigued from zero sleep from the night before.

My understanding of hypnic jerks is that they are a natural protective system that stops us from falling asleep standing up. They only kick in as you are transitioning into a sleep phase or, between sleep phases.

How has the magnesium been working??

These have started to get worse fir me too!

Drifting off and I feel a surge of electric like shock thru my body, then jolts and come to gasping for air, difficulty swallowing and shaking all over. Lie there trying to deep breathe and go for another try..

Hope they psss soon but my shaking has gotten worse 6 weeks out so who knows..

These have started to get worse fir me too!

Drifting off and I feel a surge of electric like shock thru my body, then jolts and come to gasping for air, difficulty swallowing and shaking all over. Lie there trying to deep breathe and go for another try..

Hope they psss soon but my shaking has gotten worse 6 weeks out so who knows..

Hang in there, Dtrain. You aren’t alone. They seem to be sticking with me as well. Hoping for some sleep tonight for all of us. Fingers crossed.

How has the magnesium been working??

NoMoreBenzoGirl. It looks so far that the only way that I can get any sleep is to take magnesium just before going to bed. I was using mag glycinate but the amino acid glycine seems to rev me up a bit, even though that is a highly absorbable form of magnesium.

3 nights ago I took 1 mag glycinate and slept 10 hours. The next night I only got 5. Last night I took a half of a mag glycinate and 1 mag citrate and got 6 hours. I'm going to try mag citrate only, and see what happens.

HB

You are sleeping again.  I was hoping it wouldn't be 2 weeks of zero sleep.  10, 6 and 5 hours is awesome.  Your sleep will continue to even out.

You are sleeping again.  I was hoping it wouldn't be 2 weeks of zero sleep.  10, 6 and 5 hours is awesome.  Your sleep will continue to even out.

Hi ThEwAy2...It's still a struggle because I always wake up with my heart pounding and sometime night sweats but yes, it's much better than no sleep.

This Thursday I'm having an operation and they're giving me propofol and morphine with fentanyl for pain after. I have to stay in the hospital for two to three nights and I think that could really be tough. I just pray to god that the drugs don't screw me up further.

HB

Hope all goes well with your surgery.  Propofol works on Gaba similar to a Benzo from what I read, but maybe one dose to knock you out for one surgery won't matter?  If you are not sure, I would ask the anesthetist or your doctor prior to surgery.  Morphine and Fentanyl are pain killers and don't work on Gaba. 

I remember reading about others that were afraid of a Benzo after they recovered for surgery and even Dr. Ashton said it shouldn't hurt you.  But who knows given your current condition.

Good luck.

Hope all goes well with your surgery.  Propofol works on Gaba similar to a Benzo from what I read, but maybe one dose to knock you out for one surgery won't matter?  If you are not sure, I would ask the anesthetist or your doctor prior to surgery.  Morphine and Fentanyl are pain killers and don't work on Gaba. 

I remember reading about others that were afraid of a Benzo after they recovered for surgery and even Dr. Ashton said it shouldn't hurt you.  But who knows given your current condition.

Good luck.

That's right ThEwAy2...If it wasn't for my current condition I wouldn't worry too much.

Hi ThEwAy2...It's still a struggle because I always wake up with my heart pounding and sometime night sweats but yes, it's much better than no sleep.

This Thursday I'm having an operation and they're giving me propofol and morphine with fentanyl for pain after. I have to stay in the hospital for two to three nights and I think that could really be tough. I just pray to god that the drugs don't screw me up further.

HB

Good luck on your surgery. I have read from many other people on here that propofol and fentanyl are the best options for surgery. Versed is the big no no. I hope you don’t have any setbacks and you pick up right where you left off.

• 2 weeks later...

HB

How did all go with your surgery??

Amen sister fingers crossed!! These three hour nights are killing me 😳

Hey Dtrain

How are you holding up? Been having lots of fun hypnic jerks so was thinking about my fellow insomniacs...just checking in. Can’t wait for this one to pass...  ::)

Hey nomotebenzogirl ☺️

I collapsed and got put back on V, so the jerking has settled, but having paradoxical and weird reactions to the med so probably being hospitalized tomorrow to come off, again.

So annoyed they put me back on but they thought I’d get better and be s me to function and get fitter before tackling WD. But just makes me sick! These drugs suck...

Only plus has been shakes and jerks settled and I’ve slept a few more hours, negative is I feel foggy sick anxious and scared that I’m back to square one after pushing thru my detox 8 weeks ago. I could scream!!

How are you feeling?? Any better sleep?

Hi NoMoreBenzoGirl. The surgery went okay and I'm starting to heal from it. It has actually been secondary to the horrid symptoms that I've been having, so the surgery is sort of in the background, and I'm just glad that it has not been an issue.

I'm very nervous that the hospital drugs caused me problems in some way. When I was in there I started feeling much better the day after the operation. On the night of the operation I only slept a couple of hours but the next day I started getting tired (normal tired) and slept 9 hours that night. The next day I was a bit groggy but my symptoms were way down. I was supposed to stay another day but they tested me and I passed so they sprung me. I was still feeling pretty good but started feeling off on the way home. By the the time I got there I started getting nausea going through the roof. I got it to settle down but then just felt really OFF. That was on Dec. 8th. since then I've been able to sleep every night but in two hour intervals ending with heavy tachycardia and night sweats. This usually happens 3 times per night. During the day my skin is burning like crazy and I have waves of nausea, stuffy nose, bad chills and brain fog. Yesterday I had a window from when I got up until about 4:30 and then the beast came knocking again. When I got up this morning my skin was burning like crazy all over my body. I'm not sure where this is all going. The other thing is my sleep. I'm at a real loss to describe what I go through to fall asleep and wake. It's like my brain has to traverse this crazy zone where you are caught in between and while there I just feel horrid with awful mental symptoms and nausea. As soon as I'm through it lets up. Do you have this?

Hey nomotebenzogirl ☺️

I collapsed and got put back on V, so the jerking has settled, but having paradoxical and weird reactions to the med so probably being hospitalized tomorrow to come off, again.

So annoyed they put me back on but they thought I’d get better and be s me to function and get fitter before tackling WD. But just makes me sick! These drugs suck...

Only plus has been shakes and jerks settled and I’ve slept a few more hours, negative is I feel foggy sick anxious and scared that I’m back to square one after pushing thru my detox 8 weeks ago. I could scream!!

How are you feeling?? Any better sleep?

That sounds absolutely awful. I remember when I ended up reinstating, it was the worst week of my life. I’m sorry that you are having such a difficult time.

Since you are having such a bad effect with the benzo, can you switch over to something like Gabapentin? Have you ever tried? I would normally recommend stabilizing on Valium and then doing a slow steady taper but since you’re having a bad reaction, maybe a neurontin taper would help instead? Either way- you can get through this no matter which way you choose. It’s just time..and a huge struggle in the meantime. I hope you get some relief soon.

Sleeping is on and off. In comparison to July of this year, it’s a godsend. I get anywhere from 1-6 hours depending on the night. There’s really no rhyme or reason for any of it. The hypnic jerks are what keep me from sleeping when I don’t sleep. That, and akithisia. I do notice when I move more (walk or exercise) my sleep is impaired significantly. All in all, I’ve been better but I’ve also been worse!! Can’t complain too much.

Hi NoMoreBenzoGirl. The surgery went okay and I'm starting to heal from it. It has actually been secondary to the horrid symptoms that I've been having, so the surgery is sort of in the background, and I'm just glad that it has not been an issue.

I'm very nervous that the hospital drugs caused me problems in some way. When I was in there I started feeling much better the day after the operation. On the night of the operation I only slept a couple of hours but the next day I started getting tired (normal tired) and slept 9 hours that night. The next day I was a bit groggy but my symptoms were way down. I was supposed to stay another day but they tested me and I passed so they sprung me. I was still feeling pretty good but started feeling off on the way home. By the the time I got there I started getting nausea going through the roof. I got it to settle down but then just felt really OFF. That was on Dec. 8th. since then I've been able to sleep every night but in two hour intervals ending with heavy tachycardia and night sweats. This usually happens 3 times per night. During the day my skin is burning like crazy and I have waves of nausea, stuffy nose, bad chills and brain fog. Yesterday I had a window from when I got up until about 4:30 and then the beast came knocking again. When I got up this morning my skin was burning like crazy all over my body. I'm not sure where this is all going. The other thing is my sleep. I'm at a real loss to describe what I go through to fall asleep and wake. It's like my brain has to traverse this crazy zone where you are caught in between and while there I just feel horrid with awful mental symptoms and nausea. As soon as I'm through it lets up. Do you have this?

I’m really glad your surgery went well but I’m sorry you’re having a hard time as a result. It sounds like either the meds caused a little rebound wave or it’s a wave you could have experienced anyway. Hopefully it will be a short lasting wave that will pass very soon.

I can completely relate to your sleep issues and burning skin. For me, there’s a pattern to the process of falling asleep at night. When i start to relax, my back and chest start to burn immediately. It’s almost as if my heart is on fire. My heart will start pounding and I will start to have negative thoughts or somewhat of a gloom and doom type feeling. At this point, I try to stay positive and tell myself that this is my body healing. It’s all a feeling and nothing is wrong. As I start to fall asleep, that is when my body jerks awake. This continues for either an hour up to all night...varies night to night. I also get significant vertigo with my eyes closing as I’m falling asleep.

In a bad wave, I will wake up several times during the night disoriented, sweating, shaking and with tachycardia. As of recent, once I’ve been able to finally fall sleep, I’ve been able to stay asleep until I wake up. When I do, I’m usually shaky, vibrating and have an internal restlessness (cortisol type surge).

I can also relate to the cog fog. Actually, I’m experiencing quite a bit of that today.

Just want to reassure you that all of these things you named sound very much like a wave of withdrawal. A wave that will pass with time. As much as I hate to hear you’re suffering, reading what you wrote reminds me that I’m not alone.  Today  I’m having a bit of a rough one— the feeling like I’m jumping out of my skin is pretty bad so I’m just trying to hang in there.

Keep staying strong— you’ll get through this.

Thanks NoMoreBenzoGirl. My real problem is, what the hell is going on with me. I was healed for over 4 years. I never had any problems during that time. Benzo wd was a thing of the past for me. Now I'm having all of the symptoms that I had during the acute phase of my withdrawal. The real acute that I experienced 7 years ago started in about month 4, and that's where I find myself now. It's just as intense and never ending. To think that I need to put in another 2.5 years of this again is mind blowing.

I can tell you right now that it certainly feels like it is here for the long term. I'm getting worse every day. I just don't see this as being a little wave.