Antibiotics

[co...]

If you have to take antibiotics, will they cause a major setback? I'm assuming this can't be avoided by most people.

thank you for your feedback,

I was recently put on an IV antibiotic for a UTI (I don't know what it was, but I requested no cipro or in that family). I had hallucinogenic colors and also garish nightmares. I was switched to Bactrim, which was really awful and upped my bp very high, causing me to be highly anxious. Having panic attacks, etc. May cause kidney infection, something that I DON'T need. If I have to take another antibiotic, I'm going the more natural way. I may do D-Mannose or try apple cider vinegar in cranberry juice. From what I've read, three weeks seems to run the gamut of time that people get well (who are sensitive, and I'm really sensitive).

Nevertheless, I think I'll heal from this if I continue to eat right, have enough rest (have been having lots of insomnia after the Bactrim), and don't have to take another antibiotic. I hope not!! I had always been fearing them, and then I landed in the hospital with severe low sodium, was restricted as to the amount of water I took (less than 4 cups per day at first), and had a catheter, was very stressed. I think that's what caused the UTI. Other than that, I hadn't had a UTI since my 30s.

Don't take fluoroquinolones, like Cipro (ciprofloxacin) or Levaquin (levofloxacin). I took Levaquin once 8 years ago when I had pneumonia (pre-benzo use) and had no problem. Then I took it again 4 years ago, still pre-benzo use, and it felt like my leg and back muscles were on fire after one pill! So no more.

I have taken Z-Pak (azithromycin), Keflex, Augmentin (amoxicillin) during benzo use and taper with no problem.

colley: after a lot of research and self trial - I believe that antibiotics are 95% a scam. I definitely avoid 100% of them, and my kids never had any (and they are doing great).

as you can imagine they are vastly overprescribed in the USA and cause major health issues for people down the road.

very effective natural 'antibiotics' do exist. Aside from that, I've seen plenty of setback stories from things like Amoxicillin

It must be uti season,my second reply today to uti sufferers on BB. :'(

I have used d- mannose, but had quicker healing results for crippling bouts of uti taking alternately Olive leaf capsules & uva ursi caps for several days with plenty of water.1500 mgs uva ursi or 1500 mgs Olive leaf per day.

It must be uti season,my second reply today to uti sufferers on BB. :'(

I have used d- mannose, but had quicker healing results for crippling bouts of uti taking alternately Olive leaf capsules & uva ursi caps for several days with plenty of water.1500 mgs uva ursi or 1500 mgs Olive leaf per day.

I don't have a uti, but I haven't got to see that smiling dog in a while and could not help myself  :D

Hope you are doing good SoupforDinner, luv you, Mary 🐕🐾☮️💜🙏

Hi Mary!  :smitten: I just lurk everyday,reading posts here & other places around the www.

I'm doing good,thank you....I hope my reply finds you in good health & spirits.

Smiley Puppy is right here sleeping beside me (along with the other 3 doggos.... I added 2 little rescue chiweenies to my household,Smiley is still the 👑 king 👑 though)

Hope these folks with the uti misery feel better fast.Being in the grip of uti is a special kind of hell.

SfD

Hi Mary!  :smitten: I just lurk everyday,reading posts here & other places around the www.

I'm doing good,thank you....I hope my reply finds you in good health & spirits.

Smiley Puppy is right here sleeping beside me (along with the other 3 doggos.... I added 2 little rescue chiweenies to my household,Smiley is still the 👑 king 👑 though)

Hope these folks with the uti misery feel better fast.Being in the grip of uti is a special kind of hell.

SfD

Oh SfD, you got two chi weenies, I have a rescue chi pin  :D

I'm good, not great but good.  I love you have 2 more, as soon as my muscles calm down, I will have another one.  This is the only time we have ever just had one, but I need to be some better.  Good to talk too you and see that wonderful smile.  Luv you, Mary 🐕🐶🐶🐾🐾🐾☮️💜🙏

I’m all for trying natural stuff first, but it’s irresponsible to say that antibiotics are a scam, especially where the urinary tract is involved.

- UTI’s can lead to kidney infections if the bacteria (or virus) finds its way up the ureters & into the kidneys.

- Kidney infections can lead to sepsis, which is a life threatening medical emergency. 

If you have been trying to manage UTI symptoms without relief, and especially if you develop a fever, it’s important to get evaluated by a medical professional.

(You can reject the quinolone family of antibiotics if there is a bacterial infection - there are other options.)

Ya... I'm not sure of the "scam" indication but thank you for your replies. It would be hard to say that penicillan hasn't saved lives and / or that people who have Lyme disease are better off taking an herbal supplement. But who knows... you wouldn't just want to take an antibiotic for something that is curable with something a little less harsh.

Anyway, I have yet to hear any other experiences besides one bad one.

thks,

I do believe there are some extreme cases where antibiotics have its place. I have been self-medicating all of my family infections with the following: colloidal silver, andrographis, olive leaf extract, black seed oil, echinacea, goldenseal, d-mannose (for UTI stuff), etc...

no antibiotics for over a decade for me or family. and as much as we avoid going to the doc, on occasions we did and ended up with an antibiotic RX - I threw them into the garbage, and guess what, we always recovered very quickly, and even in the worst of sickness, my kids never had to spend time in bed or stopped playing and running around.

I am ultra-suspicious when I hear that any pharma product 'saves lives' as anecdotal evidence proves different

I am not trying to cause some heated debate here...and everybody should do what he believes is best for him. that is exactly what I am doing - and seeing the amazing results.

Thanks LOB... appreciate the feedback and no debate here.

There's a possibility I might have Lyme. I had a bite on vacation several years ago (before Benzos / meds etc..) in Mexico. It wasn't a regular bite and I thought it was a spider bite (and very well could have been) but it was strange in it's look and texture. I thought nothing of it but I remember that it didn't just go away and it itched for several weeks and possibly months afterwards. I also became increasingly stressed at that time and was having trouble sleeping, heart palps, and just generally not feeling great. It was a few months after that that I engaged with my GP. So it's worth considering but most likely a shot in the dark and I've been tested for Lyme. Apparently the regular tests are not accurate enough. My doctor and I are doing a 30 day trial of an Antibiotic.... even if only to see if there's an inflammation problem that's attacking my system.

I just never feel well man... never. Lethargic, sickly feeling, head pain has gone down (I think because of the Hyperbaric treatments) but mental symptoms, fatigue, and general malaise are really bad most of the time. So I'm just taking a chance because I don't want to do this anymore... it's almost like I can't do this anymore. Stuck in my house doing nothing for years. The only alternatives I have are psychotropic meds or pull the chute.

we are both a similar time-frame out of benzos, and I do seem to have some of the symptoms you have, however not constant and it appears not as intense. I understand that what you have been feeling essentially follows you from the beginning, with no periods of improvement? and prior to benzo use you have been fine?

of  course one can not exclude that secondary issues developed somehow related to benzo w/d.  if you feel exactly the same (bad) with no changes up or down, I would suspect that there is something else going on. Aren't they inflammation markers in the body which can be detected by a blood test? (CRP https://www.drweil.com/health-wellness/body-mind-spirit/heart/elevated-c-reactive-protein-crp/)

have you done those tests? I am afraid a 'take antibiotics and see what happens' approach is not good.  do a web search of 'lymes + colloidal silver' for example and go from there.

Another thing, have you looked into heavy metal toxicity in your body?

Thanks LOB... appreciate the feedback and no debate here.

There's a possibility I might have Lyme. I had a bite on vacation several years ago (before Benzos / meds etc..) in Mexico. It wasn't a regular bite and I thought it was a spider bite (and very well could have been) but it was strange in it's look and texture. I thought nothing of it but I remember that it didn't just go away and it itched for several weeks and possibly months afterwards. I also became increasingly stressed at that time and was having trouble sleeping, heart palps, and just generally not feeling great. It was a few months after that that I engaged with my GP. So it's worth considering but most likely a shot in the dark and I've been tested for Lyme. Apparently the regular tests are not accurate enough. My doctor and I are doing a 30 day trial of an Antibiotic.... even if only to see if there's an inflammation problem that's attacking my system.

I just never feel well man... never. Lethargic, sickly feeling, head pain has gone down (I think because of the Hyperbaric treatments) but mental symptoms, fatigue, and general malaise are really bad most of the time. So I'm just taking a chance because I don't want to do this anymore... it's almost like I can't do this anymore. Stuck in my house doing nothing for years. The only alternatives I have are psychotropic meds or pull the chute.

I'm feeling much better after Bactrim, but I'm not sure it was effective. It was really harsh for a good 6 days and then it lessened on the 7th. While in the throes of it, it seemed it would last forever. I've bought some D-Mannose but haven't used it yet. I also bought AZO urine strips. Right now I'm drinking unsweetened cranberry juice with 2 Tbsp. ACV (the "mother"). I want to try that before the D-Mannose.

Antibiotics have their place, but I wish for women we could have something much less harsh for our systems. I often got UTIs when I was younger, and I remember the rough times with multiple rounds of antibiotics even back then, but they stopped in my 30s. So I hadn't had an antibiotic for a very long time. They tend to take all the good flora with them.

I'm on day 3 and finding it really difficult. It's making me more tired (as if I need that) and today I'm feeling extra anxious. I may have to just stop. I'm taking 2 per day... maybe going down to 1 for a couple of days and then just coming off. 

What are you taking, colley?

I had 2 rounds, one IV, and they were both bad. I thought I was going to die, seriously. I called my son and my ex-husband and told them. But I did make it through. I was very anxious, which drove my bp up to 200+, which made me even more anxious. I'll do anything to stay away from a third antibiotic!

You'll get through it, or tell the doctor you want a switch.

I said I took 3 different antibiotics with no issues.

I know that everyone is different but which did you take during withdrawals?

I wouldn't say "during withdrawals." I would say "while tapering."

I've taken Keflex, azithromycin, and augmentin while tapering. I did a hold while taking the augmentin. Whether the augmentin had anything to do with increased symptoms or not... well, I doubt it.

I've been tapering pretty fast, 20-25% every 10 days. It's been pretty tolerable, but sometimes I have to hold for a bit so I can still function (go to work, sleep, etc).

I said I took 3 different antibiotics with no issues.

I know that everyone is different but which did you take during withdrawals?

I wouldn't say "during withdrawals." I would say "while tapering."

I've taken Keflex, azithromycin, and augmentin while tapering. I did a hold while taking the augmentin. Whether the augmentin had anything to do with increased symptoms or not... well, I doubt it.

I've been tapering pretty fast, 20-25% every 10 days. It's been pretty tolerable, but sometimes I have to hold for a bit so I can still function (go to work, sleep, etc).

I did Z pack about month in and don’t think it made anything worse. Has always been my go to and I read the horror stories and took the leap with that one.

Yeah Z-pak was always my go to for sinus infections. Now I get an infected salivary gland every once in a while and augmentin is better for that.

Yeah Z-pak was always my go to for sinus infections. Now I get an infected salivary gland every once in a while and augmentin is better for that.

My sinuses have been flared in withdrawals from face pressure and I was thinking my ear/side of face aches from that. What are the symptoms for an infected salivary gland?