Scared to be alone

[Bp...]

Yes, I was for about a month. Still had withdrawal after that, but took awhile for me to feel ok enough on my own. This is common. You will get thru it. Take a look at some suggestions for symptom relief in that section on this site. You Amy want to consider some of the gentler ones, they can help a bit.

Yes! This is called monophobia, and it is a withdrawal symptom... I struggled with that for a long time before understanding any of it, I thought it was a direct consequence of other symptoms, but I now believe it well and truly is a symptom in its own. It has gotten much better for me in the past few months and I know of quite a few other Buddies who have struggled with that two. It goes away. You will be ok.

In the meantime, it is about coping for you. I'd encourage you to try to talk with family or friends you can trust to help you through the monophobia, as this is a symptom which puts you in a position of dependency. You need to know who you can trust to be there for you, not just say they are or will be. Practicalities.

Then... once you have a 'safe' foundation and feel you might be able to start trying to do more things on your own, go for it. You will be delighted to earn freedom, little by little. As you heal, as you learn to cope more, I think the two go hand in hand.

Just a few months ago, I'd call my Mum in panic, and panic panic panic if she didn't reply. I'd call her partner. Panic. Desperation. It was awful. Fast-forward a little and I just completed 19 days alone, all family abroad. I had lots of activities planned to fill the most difficult hours and give me something to focus on. I can say that healing has happened, but I also think I have learnt to cope much better through the torment. I know I still have a lot of healing to do... but it is much better!

Hang in there. You are definitely not alone!!

Healing Hugs,

Julz xx

I am still experiencing this at 8 months off Klonopin. I used to love being home alone. It allowed me to partake in interests and hobbies. Now I can barely be home without my wife there and being home alone with my daughter makes me nervous. In fact, the more people at my house the better most of the time. I feel most comfortable when my wife is home plus my parents or friend visits me. On top of that, I am even happy when my mother-in-law visits us now when before I didn't really like that.

I really hope this goes away. I did not have this fear before quitting the benzos.

Thank y’all. Boom box i am the same now i used to not like visitors now i want everybody there my 5 year old was in the hospital recently and wanted me to stay with him and i couldn’t do it by myself i had to make my wife stay to

Yes. I have this also.  I have no choice most days.

The worst part is that I also don't like to have the tv on much anymore.  So much on the tv disturbs me.

And I have to work.

I just try to distract as much as I can until my daughter gets home from school.

This has been one of the hardest symptoms to deal with for me. It's put quite a strain on my wife because she can't ever go anywhere alone. I am scared to be with my 2 year old daughter alone too just in case something were to happen beyond my control. I don't have many intrusive thoughts toward my daughter anymore, thank God, but I still have them about myself often.

I have even developed a fear of being at home altogether. Like after work, I don't even want to go because I have too much free time. Whenever I doubt whether drug withdrawal or life circumstances caused all these symptoms, I just think about the monophobia and fear of being at home. I did not have either of these before taking and then quitting Klonopin.

I was terrified of being alone, my benzo wd started because of two anaphylactic shocks due to Salbutamol ( I almost died) and my dad got me out of the shocks  (that's why I was scared, the thought of "something" happening just like the times I had the shocks was terrifying) plus I was agoraphobic so I made my dad stay with me four months! as crazy as it sounds my dad was "housebound" with me for four months, I'm single mum and my daughter needed to go out, my mum was no help, my poor dad! I am not social so no family or friends, just my dad made me feel safe. I'm fine now, that was two years ago, now I can go out and stay alone... the first time my dad left me I had my first panic attack and ended in the ER.. it goes away  :thumbsup:

I was simply never alone during the whole process.. I had my dog with me the whole time. It was comforting but I then had a hard time going out without her which I slowly got over.  Strange withdrawal symptom for sure.

• 2 months later...

This is one of my worst symptoms (monophobia) along with agoraphobia. I hope it passes. For some reason it is worse at  night. I unfortunately cannot be out without a trusted support person. I have children and this is so difficult.

I do hope this will pass for you soon!