Is anyone here on Baclofen?

[Dt...]

Hey guys!

Recently got off the Valium (jumped 6 weeks ago need to update dig) still struggling majorly but

And now realizing imthe Baclofen they put on me months ago to help get me off V Seems to be causing more probs than the V 😳 Think being on V was masking how bad my body had gotten..

I know some symptoms are V WD but some seem 100% related to the Bac.

Anyone on it and suffering from effects? It’s destroyed my muscles.. I can’t even hold me head up...

Excruciating tight muscles around my neck and ear  floppy body all over...

Interdose WDs and shakes..

Thought I’d see if anyone’s on it that is having trouble. Think I need off it ASAP to heal, I’m housebound anyway so might as well get it over and done with.

I thought all my stuff was from the V but I realize now it was pretty much the Bac and I’d be much better off and healing RN if it wasn’t for this sh*tty med.

Finally!  I found someone else with baclofen problems. I was prescribed baclofen and gabapentin for  muscle spasms from torn cartilage in my hip. Then I got a cortisone injection  so I immediately started tapering.  Dr said start with the gabapentin so I did but five weeks later I read  not to stay on baclofen more than four weeks so I stopped the gabbapentin withdrawal and started on the baclofen.  I was on two mg daily. I did the recommended half pill (.5 mg) but it almost killed me so I only reduced by one fourth pill  every five days  until I was finished. That was eight weeks  ago and  I can barely get around the house. Lucky to get five hours sleep at night. Tremors are almost constaant. I think my panic attacks are finished but I still cry a lot. Dr said..  I should  have been able to get off baclofen in one or two weeks. She thinks Im psycho and wrote me a script for lorazapam but I know better than to touch that stuff.  I havent been able to find any information on baclofen withdrawal  except that nobody else has a real problem with it. May God help us both!

Im also having awful problems with baclofen,  I didnt realize how awful it is. I literally feel as if im turning to stone if I dont take it. I managed to get down to 12.5 mg but have been stuck on this amount for at least 12 months I was so convinced that it was the valium but now realize the baclofen is far worse. No one said it was addictive, I even asked 2 chemists and they said its not addictive

Regards Pauline

Hey Arizona and Pauline,

Thanks for replying ☺️

Sorry to hear you’re both having such issues.. it’s awful I wouldn’t wish this on anyone!

Can’t bekirve I was stupid enough to take it... and that the docs didn’t notice what was happening to me right in front of them 😢

Arizona can you not get around due to stiff muscles? They said the same thing to me, I should just be able to stop 10mg in a week. To be honest it’s going to be horrid no matter what so I’m better just to bite the bullet and get it done with. Can’t get much worse than I am already..

Pauline I know exactly what you mean, I think I’m tolerant to it now as I’m constantky stiff, even my calf muscles feel they will snap.

Either of you try or do exercise or anything that helps? Anyone given advice or said how long it will last?

All my troubles started 2 Years sho when I injured my neck and was given Valium (not told anything about it as a lot of us) so now my injury is ten times worse, my head feels like a block on my body and can’t hold it up. I’ve gone from a fit healthy 35 year old to a crippled 37 year old unable to function at all, in constant excruciating pain. This stinks.

Hey guys, yeh  I have constant stiffness, tremors , and jitters, especially in my neck back and legs. So, I have a theory. I was on klonapin five years ago and it took six months to get off it.  I was reading about about something called "kindling effect." I noticed  you guys both have taken benzos.  I was hoping kindling effect was not the problem  because benzos only affect the gaba A receptors  and baclofen only affects the gaba B receptors........but  who  knows.

Hey Arizona!

I don’t think it makes a huge difference with kindling but who knows, these drugs do horrid things...

Have your tremors settled a little at all? You poor thing I feel for you ☺️

My muscles are just gone. I try and stretch and everything burns and feels like it’s going to snap.

I’m a skeleton with skin hanging off, hardcdnough that I’m just off benzos and now realizing all this.

How stiff are you, and we’re you physically ok before?

I just feel helpless right now. Need to get off it ASAP but scared of what’s to come.

Hi Dtrain....                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              I just had a miraculous 12 hours of sleep, how are you sleeping? I think this is a good sign. Sounds like you have lost a lot of weight. I lost 20 lbs but holding now.It helps to eat six or more small meals a day. Stay away from coffee, tea and chocolate {caffeine]  Last week I had a bite of chocolate bar- big mistake! Are you taking any supplements? Some people say it helps but it seems to make me worse. Have you tried CBD oil? Its a marijuana extract that wont get you high and is legal in all states, I believe.  Im using it and it helps a little but not a lot.  I haven't done any exercise or stretching because its too much stimulus and makes me worse.  Hubby gives me daily massages, god bless.  I think we'll be okay in time and much much wiser too.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Arizona!

Sorry for late reply been a horrid few weeks, reinstated V as I was so unwell now trying to taper the Baclofen but thing have gone awry, think my nervous system is just shot..

So glad you got a good sleep! How is it going now? Are the tremors better??

I’m down to 7.5 which I’ve been on for 10 days so thinking of dropping to 5.

Did all your muscles burn? Even my calves and hands, my whole body.  I don’t know what’s causing what anymore, the V ct screwed thongs up,  docs are no help tgeybjust tell me to drop them all...

S

Hi Dtrain,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Good to hear your tapering,  is the titration process working out?  I never had any burning sensation, just paralysis from spasms so bad I couldn't get to the bathroom but now I'm on my feet and getting around slowly.  I have a constant cringing sensation in my head but I'm getting more windows now too, usually in the evening.  I can relieve most of the tension in my back and neck if I sit and lean forward with a pillow on my lap, elbows on pillow and head in my hands. I spend most of my day like that. I'm still on gabapentin but the dose is so low other people would have jumped off by now. Think I'll wait till after my appointment in January for some skin cancer removal.  I'm so depressed, no Christmas this year but I will see my grandkids. Think I have some PTSD since losing my daughter to breast cancer last year.  She was my only child.

• 2 weeks later...
Ive been on baclofen for three years now and also had wd concerns. Ive gotten off of it a few times and baclofen has close to zero withdrawal. Simply taper for a few weeks and you are good deducting 5 mg per week. This isnt opinion. Thjs is advice from the worlds most renowned baclofen studies in Australia. I have been in touch with the person in charge of the Australian baclofen studies and she eased my worries about wd. There is a person on this website spreading fear about baclofen wd and it is all bullcrap. Ive gotten off baclofen TWICE without ANY wd. It is a gaba B agonist not gaba A like benzos are and as long as you taper you will be ok. Feel free to verify all ive written.

WOW! You are so fortunate!  There are not many people who can take that many drugs for that many years and get off so easily.  [ I can't help but suspect that Big Pharma is paying you to say these things.]

WOW! You are so fortunate!  There are not many people who can take that many drugs for that many years and get off so easily.  [ I can't help but suspect that Big Pharma is paying you to say these things.]

What are you talking about? I didnt say getting off all drugs was easy. Did you actually read my post? I referred ONLY to baclofen because i have actually kicked baclofen....twice. There are people on this website who are probably trolls because they state baclofen is the same as kicking benzos which simply is untrue. That serves only to terrify people who are taking baclofen. Again....ive been in email exchanges with this baclofen research center in australia that has done tests on people being on and getting off baclofen. The woman eased my own fears about getting off baclofen. I experienced zero withdral. Zero. Unlike all the other drugs ive taken. Opiates are very difficult to get off of with a horrible wd. Benzos are the worst. Where did you get that i had an “easy time” getting off any of them given ive never said that? Trippin’!

Ps. Ill do you one better. Here is a link to the baclofen treatment center where they have experimented with baclofens efficacy etc. The Clinical Leads name is Amanda Stafford whom you can email via the website and whom will verify all i have written. If you are experiencing horrific wd that you attribute to “baclofen withdrawl” you may want to research the possibility it may be something else causing your discomfort. Regardless....good luck! Here is the link to the hospital trials:

https://baclofentreatment.com

I hope dr. Stafford is right but I couldn't find anything on her website about baclofen withdrawal- only alcohol withdrawal. I hope this all works out for you!  I am 98% recovered now.  What a relief!

• 2 weeks later...
You should actually email Amanda Stafford yourself. She will send you all the information you need and ease your mind about kicking baclofen. Baclofen is a rarely used drug for alcohol withdrawal in the usa because the fda hasnt approved it even though every study shows it clearly works. Thats why I got on baclofen. For benzo wd. Then I began to worry about baclofen wd hence me contacting Amanda. And again, I have personally gotten off baclofen a few times now without any issues whatsoever. Good luck.

Good for you!  Baclofen is a prodrug of carbamate, an insecticide, and it almost killed me but it never hurt you because you're not an insect like me!

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Shania, please tell me about your baclofen experience. I took it on and off for about four weeks and then every day for five weeks before I started tapering.  The symptoms stayed with me till about a week ago and now I feel pretty normal as long as I dont over exert myself. How long did you take it and how did you taper?

Hi Arizona!

Glad to hear you’re better... how are things?

I tried to stop the Baclofen but it got too much for me right now. I have other medical complications. .. I’ll try again soon when I’m a little better... but god all my muscles burn everywhere. So weak and no strength!

How ru traveling? And what symptoms did you have until recently? Just trying to build my body up before I tackle it again... so I don’t waste away completely x

ARIZONA  :smitten:

so glad you're feeling 'normal' after Baclofen !

still on GabaP tho? hope that's going OK.

sorry to hear about your other issues, thinking of you.

PS: so sorry for your loss  :hug:

DTRAIN !  :smitten:

oh gosh --  are you still in hospital? 

sorry to hear you're still struggling w/ Baclofen taper  :(

i know how awful it is, i feel for you, dear buddie.

just checked your Sig, but not sure...  have you had to updose Bac ?

did you stop Valium ?

hope your other issues are not too troubling?

still going thru a Lyrica trial nightmare [yes, you warned me...] ... a month now  :(

my new GP wants me to go back to Ashton.... 4 months after they made me stop due to making ME/Fibro worse... got to Stage 3... and before i got totally disabled....

there's no way i can handle 35 V now !?  my new GP doesn't seem to care tho !?

so scared.... and no smart, caring Doc like yours to help build me back up.

wishing you all the best  :hug: