Forced taper need advise on this schedule

[st...]

My new doctor is forcing me off of my Klonopin which I have taken for the past 5-6 years for a severe anxiety disorder. He and the psychiatrist won't listen to anything I have to say and feel completely hopeless. They didn't even tell me what the taper schedule was before cutting my 4mg dosage (take 4mg per day) into 3.5 on my last refill. I find out today after getting an e-mail back that my taper schedule is .5 mg a month cut. I feel this is way too much and too fast for how long I've been on this medication, does anybody agree with this and have any recommendations for how to handle this situation? I'm so tired of being treated like a second class citizen because I have a mental illness.

Thank You,

- Steel

My new doctor is forcing me off of my Klonopin which I have taken for the past 5-6 years for a severe anxiety disorder. He and the psychiatrist won't listen to anything I have to say and feel completely hopeless. They didn't even tell me what the taper schedule was before cutting my 4mg dosage (take 4mg per day) into 3.5 on my last refill. I find out today after getting an e-mail back that my taper schedule is .5 mg a month cut. I feel this is way too much and too fast for how long I've been on this medication, does anybody agree with this and have any recommendations for how to handle this situation? I'm so tired of being treated like a second class citizen because I have a mental illness.

Thank You,

- Steel

Hi steel-

We recommend a taper rate of 5 -10% every 10 - 14 days. This amount falls into the suggested rate however as you get lower in dose the taper amount(mg) decreases. I would suggest doing some research them making a taper plan according to what you are comfortable with and sharing this plan and your concerns with your doctor  :thumbsup:

Here is a program where you can Create Your Own Taper Plan by Jim Hawk It may be helpful if you check out the Help function prior to using the program.

If you need more help just ask ...we are here for you!  :thumbsup:

10% of 4mg would be .40mg. so it is close to falling into the range  actually it is .10mg above the recommended amount of 10% every 10-14days (Doctor may have considered how you would cut .10mg from the tablets)

So if you make this cut of .5mg then hold this amount for 1 month it would fall into the range. This would give you time to work out new taperschedule & discuss with your doctor proper taper rate you are more comfortable with  :thumbsup:

No offense intended, but for me this begs the question: Who is Jim Hawk ?? I mean, if it's his taper plan ...

Thank You,

- Steel

Hi steel-

We recommend a taper rate of 5 -10% every 10 - 14 days. This amount falls into the suggested rate however as you get lower in dose the taper amount(mg) decreases. I would suggest doing some research them making a taper plan according to what you are comfortable with and sharing this plan and your concerns with your doctor  :thumbsup:

Here is a program where you can Create Your Own Taper Plan by Jim Hawk It may be helpful if you check out the Help function prior to using the program.

Taper schedules should not be forced on patients. It's an individual thing. Of course, I know nothing about your background.

While 0.5 mg as a guideline is not unreasonable, these things can be unpredictable. And often, at the end people need to slow down.

Thank You,

- Steel

No offense intended, but for me this begs the question: Who is Jim Hawk ?? I mean, if it's his taper plan ...

Thank You,

- Steel

Hi steel-

Jim Hawk is a software engineer/developer and buddie who has selflessly devoted hundreds of hours of his time to develop this FREE program for anybody who wants to create their own personal taper plan tailored specifically  to suite their individual needs.