CURED from doing Keto!!

[pi...]

Hi everyone!! I’m so excited to share my success story, and hope it can help others!  :)

Backstory: I’ve been off benzos (klonopin) for a year and a half! Going off was the most hellsih experience of my life. It was shit. I had been on klonopin since I was 16, and went off when I was 31. The suffering I went through was extreme, and wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. The panic, depersonalization, anxiety and insomnia were terrible. But the worst thing of all was the stomach problems. Extreme cramps, extreme stomach pain, extreme bloating, extreme diarrhea (20x a day) and tons of weight gain (over 30 pounds). While the anxiety and depersonalization got better within a few months, the stomach problems went on and on.

I talked a lot with my primary care physician, and was on an anti-spasm medication for my stomach and was taking peptobismol all around the clock. At one point, I saw another doctor who wasn’t convinced my probs were related to benzos, so she referred me to a gastroenterologist who did a colonoscopy and endoscopy on me to check for Chrones or another disease. Found nothing.

It had been a year of this benzo stomach suffering and I WANTED MY LIFE BACK. Doctors couldn’t help and I  realized the only one who could help me was me. My friend Jennifer mentioned at the time that she had gone on keto and had marvelous results. Jennifer was suffering from severe heart disease (she had quadruple bypass heart surgery the year before), diabetes, obesity and fatty liver. When she went on keto, in just four months she lost 40 pounds, her cholesterol levels became normal, she reversed her diabetes and reversed her fatty liver. She’s the healthiest she’s ever been in her life!

I was skeptical of keto at first. It’s very low carbohydrate, high fat, moderate protein (and all my life I’ve heard the opposite diet is healthy: high carb, low fat). But I did a lot of research on it. I watched the documentary The Magic Pill, read up on the science behind it, read many, many articles, and started following keto physician proponents on social media. After a few weeks, I realized that there’s actually a ton of hard core science behind it — and actually, there’s not a whole lot of science behind high carb, low fat (the food industry and Big Pharma has been pushing that way of eating, and there’s tons of clonfict of interest when it comes to the research).

So, I started healthy keto! In less than two weeks MY STOMACH PROBLEMS WERE GONE!!!!!!! I did go through a little bit of “keto flu”, but compared to benzo withdrawal, keto flu is a walk in the park  :laugh:

I’ve now been on keto for six months, and my benzo withdrawal is a thing of the past! On keto, I also have tons of energy, my anxiety is way down (naturally, no pills!), I have perfect sleep (again, no pills!) and I feel better than I’ve felt in YEARS!! My weight is back to normal and I LOVE LIFE!

If you’re suffering from severe, prolonged benzo withdrawal, consider going on keto! You’ll be even better than you were before. I’m now a firm believer in using food as medicine. Big Pharma is shit and it’s poisoning us all. But fortunately, we don’t have to go that route. We can start eating healing, nourishing food and avoid all the sugar, refined carbs and processed garbage that the Big Food Industry  tells us is healthy when it’s really not. Give your body the nutrition it needs, and you will be healed!

I love you all!! I wish you all the best in your journey towards healing and recovery!  :smitten:

That’s great, congratulations. What where your typical ketone levels? did you cycle in and out of ketosis? Did you measure beta-hydroxybutyrate or acetoacetate? Just curious...

congrats. Keto definitely boosted my overall health. not 100% healing, but huge improvement. and 35LBS lost so far.

that big pharma is shit most here probably already know lol. but yeah.

Would love to be able to stick to a Keto diet but I can't afford to lose weight and that's all that was really happening on Keto. Glad you and others have had success... I'm trying to do a variation of Keto but I doubt my body ever goes into Ketosis.

Thanks for coming to post your story ! Great news that keto helped you , I have heard this from others too .

It makes the body act like its fasting I think , and that is really good for regeneration .

I tried for a while , think I might go back to it .

And Maugham , I do think you can do it during taper .... I tried it when while I still tapering and no negatives . Good to take electrolytes though , and that can also stop keto flu I've heard.

All the best Pie11

Miyu

That’s great, congratulations. What where your typical ketone levels? did you cycle in and out of ketosis? Did you measure beta-hydroxybutyrate or acetoacetate? Just curious...

I’ve stayed in ketosis pretty much since I started (early July 2018). There was one time in August I went off keto for a couple days — majorly regretted it  :-[ I don’t know what my ketone levels are, I don’t measure. You know you’re in ketosis when you can go for several hours without eating and you’re not hungry or irritable.  :)

Would love to be able to stick to a Keto diet but I can't afford to lose weight and that's all that was really happening on Keto. Glad you and others have had success... I'm trying to do a variation of Keto but I doubt my body ever goes into Ketosis.

Thank you, Miyu!

It’s possible to do keto without losing weight! You just need to have slightly higher carbs (50 grams per day instead of 20 grams per day). Also, make sure to add plenty of healthy fats with your meals. You won’t continue losing weight. I’m also at a place where I can’t lose too much more weight and need to do maintenance. There’s plenty of people who are on keto for weight maintenance  :)

congrats. Keto definitely boosted my overall health. not 100% healing, but huge improvement. and 35LBS lost so far.

that big pharma is shit most here probably already know lol. but yeah.

Congrats, that’s awesome! :)

Did you have any problems with skeletal muscle tightness cramps?

I can’t take magnesium supplement since WD and have a lot of muscle tightness and am Aware Keto can make that worse.

Did you manage to get enough electrolytes?

I’ve stayed in ketosis pretty much since I started (early July 2018). There was one time in August I went off keto for a couple days — majorly regretted it  :-[ I don’t know what my ketone levels are, I don’t measure. You know you’re in ketosis when you can go for several hours without eating and you’re not hungry or irritable.  :)

So what did your diet look like? Thanks!

I can’t take magnesium supplement since WD and have a lot of muscle tightness and am Aware Keto can make that worse.

Try a 1/4 tablespoon of pink sea salt in the am and again at night. Keto can cause muscle tightness as it will dehydrate you if you don’t up your salt/electrolyte intake. But try the sea salt for a week and see how it goes.

Hi Ajusta,

I found that when I first started keto, I actually relaxed quite a bit. I had developed a problem with carbs and they were really keying up my nervous system. This might just be unique to me, but I have also read that it is used in refractory cases of epilepsy (I think you may have posted a link to this earlier). If I recall, it only had a transient relaxing effect though, for a few days or weeks. But it might be worth it to give yourself a break.

Unfortunately for me, it is a bit more difficult to gain weight eating pure fats and protein, but I've managed to gain a few pounds nonetheless.

Thank you both.

Will try the pink sea salt.

Hope I can stick to Keto with all day hunger, never any feedback to brain that I have eaten and overwhelming carb/sugar cravings.

Prior to WD I lost 112IBs doing the Dr Wahl diet which I stuck to easily for 3 years and planned to do for the rest of my life.

Since WD that has gone completely tits-up.

I have lost a lot of adipose tissue while also gaining weight which is weird. Worried I have developed lypodystrophy which causes loss of leptin which is made in fat tissue.

I am hoping that Keto might kick-start leptin in to working again but if it is nerve transmission in enteric nervous system or vagus nerve that won’t work.

You can try Sole.  Others claim it helped ease symptoms?

What you need:

A Glass Jar (Mason Jar)

A plastic or non-metal lid

1-2 cups of Himalayan Salt, Celtic Salt or Real Salt (see sources above)

Filtered water

Instructions:

Fill the jar about 1/4 of the way with Himalayan Salt, Real Salt or Celtic Salt (or a mixture of the three).

Add filtered water to fill the jar, leaving about an inch at the top.

Put on the plastic lid and shake the jar gently.

Leave on the counter overnight to let the salt dissolve.

The next day, if there is still some salt on the bottom of the jar, the water has absorbed its maximum amount of salt and the Sole is ready to use.

If all of the salt is absorbed, add more salt and continue doing so each day until some remains. This means that the water is fully saturated with the salt.

Notes:

To use: Mix 1 tsp of the Sole in to a glass of water and consume every morning on an empty stomach. Do not use a metal utensil to measure or touch the Sole with any metal object.

This is very interesting and makes me hopeful that it might help me.  Ajusta I am like you, I crave sugar and carbs so much right now.  It will be very hard.

Was it the Keto diet or the 6 months that transpired from the beginning of going Keto or perhaps, BOTH.

I have tried Keto before it does drop the weight and for many has cognitive benefits. "Wheat Belly" is an interesting book if anyone is up for a read.

• 2 weeks later...

I started Keto the same time I began my taper.  I don't want to lose any more weight.  I'm 5'1" and weigh 105.  I didn't do it to lose weight, I did it bcuz it's supposed to restore your CNS from Sympathetic to balancing with Parasympathetic.  It takes time though, a long time.  However, when you are on it, it is helping your body heal.  It takes out all the offending foods like refined sugars and flour, pastas that only harm your body.  Do the research, it's worth taking the time to do that.  I also do intermittent fasting bcuz it allows your body to heal w/o always working to break down foods. 

In spite of all this that I've done, I'm on 10 mg of Valium and still having a lot of sxs.  My BP skyrocketed and my heart is healthy.  Finally I found Hisbiscus tea which is taking down my bp and keeping it at 145/90s.  I wish it were less, but it's not.  MY CNS is reacting to the taper.  I haven't been able to continue to taper for a month now.  Even now I'm shaking and there is nothing I can take to calm it down.  So I guess I'll wait on HOLD till I stabilize ....that is my constant prayer.

I don't know why this is giving me so much trouble, but it is.  I hope I stabilize, if not, I don't know what I can do. 

1 mg of Ativan = 10mg of Valium not 30.  You were on way too much.  Plus Ashton recommends no more that 10% of your current dose every two weeks. 2mg per week is too fast for a taper.

30mg should have been tapered to 27mg (10% of 30 = 3mg) after 2 weeks.  Then you cut by 2.7mg (10% of 27mg) or down to 24.3mg for 2 weeks, then down by 2.43mg the next 2 weeks or 21.87 then down by 2.187 the next 2 weeks and so on until you get as close to zero as possible before jumping.

You sound like you could be me!! Tons of stomach problems after reducing and then going off of Klonopin. I had been to tons of doctors about my symptoms, including a GI doctor who did a colonoscopy (and to no one here’s surprise, found nothing).

I came across keto last year, when I was a few months off of Klonopin. I did it for most of the year and it helped significantly. I still have other residual symptoms, but keto did help me start to feel like I was healing.

At the moment, I’ve lost 25 of the 30 pounds that I too gained in withdrawal, so I’ve strayed a bit from keto and am focusing more on paleo/whole foods and clean eating at the moment - still on the low carb end of things, though.

Anyway, I wholeheartedly echo the keto recommendation for those in withdrawal, especially those experiencing major stomach issues.

• 3 weeks later...

ThEwAy2

I know the dumb doctor didn't know, either did I at the time.  It should have been 15 mg to help me get off 1mg of Ativan.  But fortunately I did get down fast but now I'm suffering.

hopeful9900,

I weigh less than 105 and I am on Keto.  I eat Rice (not starchy when cooked right) and lots of carbs so that I get the benefits w/o losing weight.