Surgery during taper

[Ar...]

I am currently down to .25 daily of Klonopin. I have a surgery coming up and I heard that a person can opt out of benzos during anesthia ? I've never heard of this....does anyone know about this?

Thanks

I worry about this myself.  I am probably going to need to have an endoscopy in a few months.

I am also worried that they might use Flumazenil to wake me up.  That would cause an instant withdrawal.

I am also worried and cautious about how to explain to the other doctors about my benzo tapering and making sure that I stayed on my dose if I had to stay in a hospital and having the doctors go along with it.

Armageddonit,

I am not writing this to try to scare you or make you more nervous.  I am writing this because I have these fears myself.

I worry about this myself.  I am probably going to need to have an endoscopy in a few months.

I am also worried that they might use Flumazenil to wake me up.  That would cause an instant withdrawal.

I am also worried and cautious about how to explain to the other doctors about my benzo tapering and making sure that I stayed on my dose if I had to stay in a hospital and having the doctors go along with it.

Armageddonit,

I am not writing this to try to scare you or make you more nervous.  I am writing this because I have these fears myself.

Armageddonit,

I just saw this and wanted to chime in.  I have had these fears as well.  What I have done is put together a list on my phone of all medications I absolutely cannot take!  I also printed out a copy to keep in my car, gave a copy to my husband and several family members as well as my primary doctor so that if heaven forbid, something happened to me, my family can step in and hand this right to the doctors.  It lists my taper, scheduled doses, etc and states very clearly that I am tapering with the help of my Primary Physician and to NOT deviate from any of this as it will throw me into acute withdrawal.  My language was quite strong - almost insinuating that if they screw up I'll sue them!  :) 

I included all medications that are cross tolerant to benzo's as well and no benzo's other than what is listed on my taper (Xanax only).  I've had an upper GI series done and the doctors were accommodating and were certain to not give me any medications that I listed.  All went well. I felt a little crappy that night of the procedure from the anesthesia but I always did prior to the taper.  No side effects by the next morning.    I hope this helps. 

Lori

Armageddonit,

Please see the note I left above for Armageddonit.  I hope it helps!

Lori

Here's an example of what I wrote in case of a medical emergency:

IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS FOR MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS

Name:

DOB:

I can NOT take the following antibiotics or I will suffer a SEVERE reaction:

• Cipro

• Any anti-fungal medications!

• No sulfa drugs

• Quinolones

ONLY:

• Keflex

• Amoxicillin (Possibly Doxycycline – took it years ago)

Also NO:

• Steroids such as Prednisone (Allergic – no exceptions)

• Valium or any other Benzo but Xanax

• Anti-nausea meds (Compazine)

IMPORTANT

I must take 2.25 mg of Xanax per day! Do not allow anyone to deviate from this or it will interfere with my taper or put me into acute withdrawal!

I have tapered down from 6 mgs per day with the assistance of my Primary Doctor (insert doctors name).

I must take the following doses of Xanax:

.5 mg morning

.5 mg lunch

.5 mg @ 6:00

.75 mgs at bed (11:00-11:30)

Thanks, Lori0413!

That was amazing and very useful.  I have something written like that that is a bit less formal that lists my meds and what I am allergic to on a pice of paper that I have in my phone, in my car, and in my carry bag.  If I were to go in for any surgery or surgical procedures. I would not only go over it with them, but be very specific with them.

This part of what you wrote is important:

IMPORTANT

I must take 2.25 mg of Xanax per day! Do not allow anyone to deviate from this or it will interfere with my taper or put me into acute withdrawal!

I have tapered down from 6 mgs per day with the assistance of my Primary Doctor (insert doctors name).

What scares me is that some know-nothing doc in the hospital overseeing my care might think that she/he knows better and not follow that part.  That they would look to some online or written reference that states that the medicine could be tapered in some absurdly short period of time or not needed in the doses that you are taking.

Lori,

this is an amazing document - I wish that I had thought to have something like this when I was hospitalized for a kidney infection.  Thank you so much for sharing it.

confuseduser,

After that hospitalization, I carried the same fear - because indeed, they did this to me. I did not know to ask to not get Quilolones, though I was specific about not wanting more Xanax than what I was currently taking.

It was an awful experience - i did go into withdrawals after getting the quinolone, had pretty severe pain & they gave me a massive dose of Valium, not believing that a kidney infection could be causing such a severe reaction ... they thought I was just over-reacting, so they sedated the heck out of me.  I was completely powerless to help myself.

The whole thing was so humiliating, hearing the nurses make fun of my “cocktail” - feeling totally invalidated, (on top of the Benzo circus happening in my body).  Fortunately, it was a brief stay - just long enough to get my fevers under control.

Having your plan in a document is smart and proactive - there is no room for mistakes and something so clear makes sure everyone is on the same page.

Thanks, Lori0413!

That was amazing and very useful.  I have something written like that that is a bit less formal that lists my meds and what I am allergic to on a pice of paper that I have in my phone, in my car, and in my carry bag.  If I were to go in for any surgery or surgical procedures. I would not only go over it with them, but be very specific with them.

This part of what you wrote is important:

IMPORTANT

What scares me is that some know-nothing doc in the hospital overseeing my care might think that she/he knows better and not follow that part.  That they would look to some online or written reference that states that the medicine could be tapered in some absurdly short period of time or not needed in the doses that you are taking.

Glad you found it helpful.  My suggestion to alleviate your concerns would be to put your primary/prescribing doctors contact information on the form as well with a note to contact him to verify the taper protocol.  I would even go as far as writing your taper schedule to date so that any medical personnel will know that this is a serious taper/issue.  Additionally, this is why every member of my family has a copy.  They are all well informed as to what to say as far as my medical treatment should go if heaven forbid I need it.  You just have to keep updating as you taper and email them the latest version.  In my opinion, it's worth it!

All that being said, take a deep breath.  Hopefully you'll never need this!  :)

Fondly,

Lori

Thanks, Lori0413.

To complicate matters, my regular doctor is not aware of my tapering or use of Valium.  I do that all through my Psychiatrist.

I have a great relationship with him aside from this, but I am afraid that he would not understand the whole long term tapering thing and it might create a huge amount of friction or otherwise cause me to have to change primary doctors.  He might expect me to go to a treatment program--which we all know is a either an overly rapid taper or cold turkey.  Or he might expect me to taper in a few weeks or whatever his references might say.  If the situation came up that necessitated it, I would certainly tell him.

Unfortunately, unless someone studies Benzo issues in depth, they really don't know a lot about it and can jump to inaccurate generalizations and conclusions. This includes most doctors and Psychiatrists.

Here's an example of what I wrote in case of a medical emergency:

IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS FOR MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS

Name:

DOB:

I can NOT take the following antibiotics or I will suffer a SEVERE reaction:

• Cipro

• Any anti-fungal medications!

• No sulfa drugs

• Quinolones

ONLY:

• Keflex

• Amoxicillin (Possibly Doxycycline – took it years ago)

Also NO:

• Steroids such as Prednisone (Allergic – no exceptions)

• Valium or any other Benzo but Xanax

• Anti-nausea meds (Compazine)

IMPORTANT

I must take the following doses of Xanax:

.5 mg morning

.5 mg lunch

.5 mg @ 6:00

.75 mgs at bed (11:00-11:30)

I like your document