Doc said - You can just stop at .5 Klonopin

[Le...]

Damn, I knew better but he just wouldn't listen. It's like he hears but doesn't listen. I was holding at .5 and started to get some really bad dark thoughts. I would never do anything but having them sucks as you all know. So the pdoc I was seeing at the time had me start Zoloft, that was a mistake. As soon as I started it I started having anxiety issues. Mostly bodily sensations and insomnia. As a matter of fact the first day I took 25mg Zoloft I had a frickin' panic attack, should have listened to my body. Needless to say, I titrated up to 100mg over 3 weeks per docs orders and all hell broke loose. Extreme anxiety and depression. I started waking up from what little sleep I was getting feeling either like a scared rabbit, afraid of everything or feeling like the bottom of my shoe in the deep dark depths of despair and really bad brainfog. The worst was, I went on a week fishing trip with 5 other guys to what should have been to me paradise and I had the worst time ever. I wanted to leave after 3 days. That's not me...as a matter of fact I don't even know who this guy is anymore. Everything important and all my feelings are just lost somewhere. I can't even listen to music anymore, it's like nothing moves me the way it should.

So...I said that's it for that doc and switched Pdocs. Crap..this guy was worse, not only did he keep me on the Zoloft but he added Nortriptyline. OMG, I started at 25mg and was waking up feeling like I was speeding. One weekend I woke up and had to go out and do jumping jacks. Everything I did was totally mindless , like cutting the grass or anything. But at least I could still do that stuff. I went back to him after finding out it was more of a stimulant and was used for ADHD also. I said WTF I don't need a stimulant, he said but you have depression and you're sad. I said I'm not sad, I am emotionally blunt and have extreme anxiety.

So he says, ok drop down from 50mg Zoloft to 25mg for a week and the just stop, and just stop the Nortriptyline. I gladly did, however I would have liked to taper the Zoloft longer. Then I said, I needed a refill on the Klonopin to finish my taper in a month. He say, oh your only taking .5mg, you can just stop taking it. ARGG! So I was left with five .5mg to cut to .250 for 10 days.

Now I'm 1 month from jumping off and loosing my mind. I just became a Grandpa and I can't feel like I should. Everyone including my new grandson feels very distant. Severe DP/DR, Extreme anxiety most all day, numb and or burning face, waking up afraid of everything. Just took a 3 day leave of absence for Thanksgiving, now back to work.

So this new pdoc did the Genesight test on me and I find out I have the MTHFR mutation (just one) and I have an issue with my serotonin transporters.

He wants me to start taking Viibryd, which is the only best choice according to the test.

Please tell me this is gonna get better. I started taking the V but only 5 days in and want to stop. I really don't think I want to risk any more of my mind to that crap.

Sorry for the rant and thanks for listening.

LH

Sorry to hear about your situation, it's rough. 

I also an older (male) BB member, had the GeneSight test a month or so ago, wity very similar results to yours - the MTHFR gene as well. 

I'm about 11 months out,  very depressed. confused about what to do.  I posted a question about AD's in the "other drugs" forum today.  I'd like to not take anything but I don't know how I'll be able to cope.  Seems like you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't. 

• 1 month later...

Hi Lefthangin,

Sorry you had to go through this experience.  Are things getting better.  My doc was also trying to make me go cold turkey from 0.5 mg and I refused.  That being said, my taper was still a little too fast 0.375, 0.25, 0.125 over 2.5 months.  3.5 months off now and still struggling.