Been practicing with a 1ml syringe and 10ml of water

[Os...]

I'm trying to practice this process of making a solution and then pulling out my dose using a 1ml syringe as Builder suggests as to not waste medicine. I will be dosing 4 times a day. For practice I'm pretending I'm using a 10ml "solution" at a ratio of .1mg per ml (1mg Xanax + 2ml Vodka + 8ml water) for a one day supply just to keep this simple. When I use a 1ml syringe to draw up my dose I find it quite difficult to be super accurate. For a 1% reduction I would want to pull out 2.475ml into four separate doses for the day.

I'm finding it very difficult to achieve this precision. Am I missing something here?

No, you are not missing anything. Measuring to the thousandth of a milliliter with a 10 mL syringe is not possible.

You could buy 1 mL syringes. But even then, measuring a thousandth of a milliliter is difficult.

You could add 98 mL water to make a 100 mL solution. That way you measure out 24.75 mL: 2 x 10 mL plus 4 mL with the 10 mL syringe, and 0.75 mL with a 1 mL syringe.

Thank you for the quick response!

Perfect and that makes sense. So if you wanted to make a 10 day supply you could make 100ml at a ratio of .1mg per ml and then just draw up 10ml add to 90ml of water for a total of 100ml at a .001mg per ml each day to create a larger diluted amount for better precision?

Again, maybe I'm missing something here but what would you do with the remainder of this solution (the 100ml) after you pulled your doses for the day. Seems like that would still end up going to waste.

I'm trying to practice this process of making a solution and then pulling out my dose using a 1ml syringe as Builder suggests as to not waste medicine. I will be dosing 4 times a day. For practice I'm pretending I'm using a 10ml "solution" at a ratio of .1mg per ml (1mg Xanax + 2ml Vodka + 8ml water) for a one day supply just to keep this simple. When I use a 1ml syringe to draw up my dose I find it quite difficult to be super accurate. For a 1% reduction I would want to pull out 2.475ml into four separate doses for the day.

I'm finding it very difficult to achieve this precision. Am I missing something here?

You don't need to be "super accurate"!  A DLMT really is NOT about making precise reductions each day, but about gradually reducing your dose in a series of small increments over time .  Any day-to-day measurement errors will self cancel.  And remember, because your solution if .1mg per ml,  a .1ml measurement error is only .01 (one/one hundreth) of a milligram.

BTW, the tablets you have always taken are nowhere near that accurate.  They typically vary 10% or more from dose to dose.  Your "accuracy" with liquid will be far better than it was with tablets.

(HINT:  A drop or 2 of food coloring in your solution will improve syringe "readability.)

Thanks Builder! The food coloring is a great idea! Would you say a 10 day supply would be about 100ml at a ratio of .1mg per ml? From this what do you use to pull out your daily dose? A 1ml syringe?

Thanks Builder! The food coloring is a great idea! Would you say a 10 day supply would be about 100ml at a ratio of .1mg per ml? From this what do you use to pull out your daily dose? A 1ml syringe?

A 10-12 day supply is approx 10X your current daily dose.

If your current dose is 1mg/day (per your siggy), then yes, it would be 10mg in 100ml liquid.

The simplest way to meter out your liquid dose is with a combo of 1ml and 10ml syringe.  You could of course do a series of 1ml draws, but a bigger syringe makes it much easier.  For example, lets say your dose for a day is .97mg (9.70ml)  You could use a 1ml syringe and do 9 full pulls + a .7 pull (10 total pulls) or you could 1 9ml pull with a 10ml syringe + .7 with the 1ml syringe.  (2 total pulls).  Much easier, and much lower opportunity for error.

Perfect! Thanks Builder, this is all coming together and making more and more sense. So you make a 10 day supply but since you don't use the full amount each day as you are pulling less and less, it stretches to more than ten days, which equals less waste.

And I assume pull the daily dose out and just split that into 4 as that is the frequency I'm going to take my doses. Each dose may not be exactly the same but the total daily dose would be.

Perfect! Thanks Builder, this is all coming together and making more and more sense. So you make a 10 day supply but since you don't use the full amount each day as you are pulling less and less, it stretches to more than ten days, which equals less waste.

Yes.  If you actually wanted to calculate it (and there is no reason to actually do that)  it would( beginning dose + ending dose)/2.  That would give you the average daily dose over the time period.

And I assume pull the daily dose out and just split that into 4 as that is the frequency I'm going to take my doses. Each dose may not be exactly the same but the total daily dose would be.

And here's another hint.  Pull the full days dose and transfer that into a measuring cup.  Then add enough liquid (water, juice, etc) to bring the level up to 1 full cup.  Just take 1/4 cup for each dose.

Yes.  If you actually wanted to calculate it (and there is no reason to actually do that)  it would( beginning dose + ending dose)/2.  That would give you the average daily dose over the time period.

And here's another hint.  Pull the full days dose and transfer that into a measuring cup.  Then add enough liquid (water, juice, etc) to bring the level up to 1 full cup.  Just take 1/4 cup for each dose.

Perfect! Thank You, Builder!