Doctors, benzodiazepines and dual views

[li...]

Possibly this depends on the country you live in.

It was my understanding that doctors knew that at the very least benzodiazepines could lead to serious withdrawal symptoms. I approached ´my´ doctor with that knowlegde. There are also many sources on the internet discussing benzodiazepine withdrawal.

But all of this knowledge goes out of the window once the substance has been prescribed by a doctor ? Then we´re back at the level of ´discomfort´. I´d have had  different responses if I had approached a doctor I had illegally acquired the substance on the internet ...

I am from Germany.

Doctors know that you ged addicted to benzos but

- its okey if you are 60 cause you are old

- its okey to give you forever if no AD works

- its okey to give it to you for months and then stop ct "cause that is not as bad as we hear it is"

- its okey to give it to elder people with alzheimer in hospitals and retirement homes to "calm them down" (although it MAKEs them dement)

- its okey to combine benzos in order to have people shut up

- they are not informed about the latest studies, taper plans, the ashton protocol.

Thats how it is here. Where are you from.

Marigold1,

Those horrible Netherlands. I could not believe the doc didn't believe me (but withheld that 'opinion') while I thought it was public knowledge. At the time , a new GP.

• 2 weeks later...

So I guess this about a little more doctor-bashing?  ::)

No, sounds more like lack of education, lack of willingness to learn from patient experiences and money.