Neuroscience/Neuroscientists

[fl...]

I have been reading a lot recently---finally am able to read, though I am still very far from well---and I am becoming increasingly interested in finding a neuroscientist to investigate what is happening in our brains.  It seems to me that this would be invaluable information for the field of neuroscience.  Anybody else feel this way or know if anything is happening in this area?

books I've been reading:

Spark by John J. Ratey

How to Change Your Mind by Michael Pollan

The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel van Der Kolk

I own "Anatomy of an Epidemic," but I find it so disturbing that I have not read much of it; maybe there's information in there about this very thing.  If so, please let me know.

I have life long genetic depression , Im now 65 and had to admit myself into a mental hospital so to speak on 4 occasions. My point is this , while I was there I was lucky enough to have met and spoke to a true neuroscientist . I have a medical background as a retired paramedic and LPN plus I spent years studying and researching info on the human brain.

During the week He spent His time researching the human brain and once in a while on weekends He would cover at the hospital . I introduced myself and asked Him if We could have a serious conversation regarding this subject and He said sure. Normally they only spend a short amount of time with each patient however when He realizes that I was well versed in this field He spoke to Me for one hour. I had a ton of questions, so rather than write a book here I will get to the main point.

I asked Him the following - Doctor how much is actually known about the human brain ? He said " at this present point in time we know more than We did and are learning more each day however bottom line is the study of the human brain is in its INFANCY .  Its all basically theory . Im not going to get intricate however He went on to explain that people do not realize just how small of an amount are the brain chemicals. Shrinks do NOT know the exact mechanism of the drug they prescribed to patients . They go by symptoms presented PERIOD than pay it by ear so to speak.  They are not even sure how many different neurochemicals their are in the brain , He said their could be hundreds however for now they claim their are at least 7 or 8 that play a main role.

When they speak to a patient with NO medical background in this field they simply say their are two types of neurochemicals . One  excites the brain the other calms it.  Serotonin and GABA calm and the others excite . Dopamine is down the middle . So the answer to Your question is their are many books out there however I caution You as to who the author is. Lots of speculations with NO proof . I urge You to continue searching the net and take what You read with a grain of salt.

I my case I found meditation  is job one and unfortunately sleep is so very important and it eludes many of Us going through mental illness and the meds they give us and their side effects etc.  Long walks , good diet NO stimulants of any kinds NONE . Caffeine is in many items . NO alcohol etc. 

Hope I was of some help and remember everyone is different , genetics , life style etc . Remember You are what You eat and think that is bible so to speak.  Like You my search for knowledge will continue for the rest of My life however sadly this man told Me that they are a long long way from knowing everything about the brain . Good Luck.

Thank you, JohnnyApple, for your reply.  Yes, it is unfortunate that we still know so little about the brain.  It's strange, isn't it, that that doesn't stop the medical professionals or the pharmaceutical industry from creating and prescribing drugs whose mechanisms and effects are unknown.  We have been guinea pigs and they are not even learning from our experience.

I completely agree with you that good diet and sleep and meditation and exercise, if you can tolerate it, and time are the key. 

Wishing you all the best.  I really hope your depression resolves for good and all at some point soon!

Flibberty