Any Tips For Prolonged Zero Sleep Nights

[Ho...]

You probably won't go through a few weeks of zero sleep.  A lot of people on this forum have had 3, 4, 5 or more nights in a row of zero sleep.  Most don't go past 5 or 6.  It sucks, but won't kill you.  Just lay there and relax when you can't sleep as your body needs rest even if you can't sleep.  It will sleep when it is ready to.

You probably won't go through a few weeks of zero sleep.  A lot of people on this forum have had 3, 4, 5 or more nights in a row of zero sleep.  Most don't go past 5 or 6.  It sucks, but won't kill you.  Just lay there and relax when you can't sleep as your body needs rest even if you can't sleep.  It will sleep when it is ready to.

Thanks again ThEwAy2...I'm sailing into unknown waters but am convinced that it won't injure me. The awful part is those damn hypnic jerks. It's bad enough that you won't be sleeping but, to be assaulted during the process, is just insult to injury.

I've discovered what is actually wrong with me. I'm in full blown diphenhydramine WD. I had a cold in early November and took it (as prescribed) about 4-5 times. My last dose was on Nov. 6th. On Nov. 10th my bladder shut down, and because I have an enlarged prostate, they just pinned it on that. I read that urine retention is a common side effect of diphenhydramine. I don't take that stuff very often. I checked my logs and I took it on July 6th, August 31st and just recently when I had my cold. The symptoms so far have only been physical but, they are brutal. They're just as bad as any that I had when I was recovering from Ativan, and I had a pile. Ativan sxs had lots of mental stuff with it that this, so far, doesn't seem to have. When this finally passes I think that I might post something about it as a warning to the buddies.

Hockey Boy,

Theway is right that you won't likely go through two weeks of not sleeping but perhaps some time of decreased sleep. You already have nailed a piece of this-not panicking. I went through ridiculously long periods of time without any awareness of sleep (once had a month when I was only aware of two sleep periods). Probably some Stage I sleep was happening though.

To survive I lowered my expectations about how productive I'd be and planned easy distraction. I watched TV (with blue light filtering glasses), then I'd switch to looking at cute or funny pictures on Imgur.com (with blue light filter on my computer), then I read a lot of simple plot books-sometimes for most of the night. For me that meant reading young adult fiction since YA books are written more simply with fewer characters so they're easier to read. When my brain wouldn't work anymore I'd like in bed and practice various meditation techniques from the progressive body scan, focusing on the breath meditation and guided imagery. There are lots of these available on youtube. When I was trying to make it through some hours while lying still, once I got bored of relaxation techniques, I'd travel in my imagination to the plot of books, shows or movies (not upsetting ones and this meant I chose to read books and watch shows that would be pleasant to imagine) and remember every detail of the plot I could. I'd try to imagine myself in the story-what I'd see, hear, smell, feel, taste and even take the plot further in new directions. Sometimes I'd fall asleep doing this. I still do this at night when I wake up so my mind has something to do other than fall into the worry groove.

However long you experience sleep loss you'll be able to handle it. It's unpleasant but temporary. Some of us on here have dealt with insomnia in some form for many years. This forces you to develop some mad skills and can potentially even build your confidence. We are benzo warriors and survivors and those of us in the insomnia section are also insomnia warriors. Remember, being brave doesn't always feel strong but rather it's the courage to get up and do another day, putting one foot in front of the other.

MT

Been there done that , total insomnia is pure hell . That is how i ended up on a benzo and went through hell getting off and eventually getting 4 hours of light crappy sleep . I hit a plateau after a few months off and now approaching 2 years off I still cant get more than 5 hours . I also noticed that I do not sleep deep as I use to before all this happened. Sleep study showed that I only go down to the 3 rd level of sleep out of 5. In my case I honestly believe that benzos can and do change the physiology of the human brain. I am not speaking for anyone else but only myself however from what I read it appears others feel the same way. So many factors affect an individual.

Ok what can You do . I searched the web for months and went all natural . Again everyone is different a supplement may work for one person and not another.  Melatonin works for many however people tend to take to much. Read up on it You actually only need 1mg or less . Supposedly the human brain only produces around 1/3rd of a milligram and that usually helps to put You to sleep but does NOT always keep You asleep. I had a bad experience with chamomille , it seemed to mess up My recovering GABA receptors and cause irritability and anxiety in Me after it wore off yet for others it helps. Jump on the net and do some research. Also again in some people meditation and walks along with proper NON stimulating diets can help. AVOID stimulants like caffeine at all cost and anything that contains caffeine.

One other factor which complicated My case and that is pre existing genetic depression . That is what got Me in trouble in the first place and the benzo slammed Me into the ground and made it worse so it was even harder to get through the tapering process etc. Their is no quick fix however if You follow some of these principles it may help. Anyone going through this has to be patient and I know its impossible at times. The feeling in the brain from sleep deprivation is pure hell in itself.  Good Luck .

It looks like I'm looking at a couple of weeks of zero sleep.

Does anyone who has been through it have any advice on how to best manage it?

I had 9 days of no sleep. I was weaning off two medications. I think during those 9 days I had maybe an hour or two in there somewhere.

I am still not sleeping right, I will not sleep one night and then take a half a seroquel the next night to sleep.

But during those 9 days i was taking everything i could to sleep and nothing was helping at. I was miserable.

Like the others I dont tough caffeine I eat a strict diet of no sugar or msg mostly organic. I also walked a lot but now I am jogging every day even if i have not slept. I watched something and they said that jogging or hard exercise creates new neurons and with the gaba receptors not being suppressed  anymore the new neurons are not as easily excited as old neurons, or something like that. 

Oh yeah, passion flower and valerian root extract and teas are supposed to be good for insomnia. Tart cherry juice is supposed to help as well.

Ok what can You do . I searched the web for months and went all natural . Again everyone is different a supplement may work for one person and not another.  Melatonin works for many however people tend to take to much. Read up on it You actually only need 1mg or less . Supposedly the human brain only produces around 1/3rd of a milligram and that usually helps to put You to sleep but does NOT always keep You asleep. I had a bad experience with chamomille , it seemed to mess up My recovering GABA receptors and cause irritability and anxiety in Me after it wore off yet for others it helps. Jump on the net and do some research. Also again in some people meditation and walks along with proper NON stimulating diets can help. AVOID stimulants like caffeine at all cost and anything that contains caffeine.

I didnt know that about the melatonin. i was taking up to 9mg at one time. I know it wasnt good for me but sleep is so important. I will maybe try a smaller dose and see what happens.

According to functional doctors, you should take less than 1mg of melatonin as your body only makes about 300mcg per night. 

Also, not much short of another Rx drug works for sleep early on in withdrawal.  Early on means as your get near the end of your taper, finish your taper or go cold turkey.

You have to decide what is best for your, but in my opinion, I would avoid additional Rx drugs.  It doesn't make any sense to go from one Rx drug to another.  Benzos don't fix anything and are merely band aids that mask symptoms.  And, of course, they can create horrible withdrawal for many.

According to functional doctors, you should take less than 1mg of melatonin as your body only makes about 300mcg per night. 

Also, not much short of another Rx drug works for sleep early on in withdrawal.  Early on means as your get near the end of your taper, finish your taper or go cold turkey.

You have to decide what is best for your, but in my opinion, I would avoid additional Rx drugs.  It doesn't make any sense to go from one Rx drug to another.  Benzos don't fix anything and are merely band aids that mask symptoms.  And, of course, they can create horrible withdrawal for many.

Im trying to avoid all the rx drugs i can but i have to get sleep. I dont want anymore of the 9 day without sleep stuff, i also have a seizure disorder which no sleep can mess with.

But there is just no sleeping right now with taking something. I hate taking other stuff but i have no other answers right now. Im hoping with some time it will pass a little and i can get some sleep.

Maybe update your signature.  It would be nice to know what you are/were on and for how long.  Are you still tapering or off.  Did you cold turkey? 

Maybe update your signature.  It would be nice to know what you are/were on and for how long.  Are you still tapering or off.  Did you cold turkey?

ok ill do it tonight or tomorrow morning. I didnt think about having that on there.