Question for buddies approved for SSI/SSD

[NY...]

Hey everyone,

About 6 months or so into my taper I was forced to quit my job b/c symptoms were so severe, and I have not been able to work since.  My career does not allow me to "fake it 'til I make it" unfortunately.  I'm still unable to work, but feel I'm getting very close to returning, fingers crossed. 

I applied for SSD about 2 years ago, but was so sick I was unable to properly complete the application.  I finally reached out again, and they're willing to discuss my application again, with possible retroactive pay.  I'm not going to fight this too hard, but want to give it a fair shot. 

I would love to hear from any buddies in the US who applied for SSI/SSD due to symptoms from benzo withdrawal and were approved.  What did you use as your diagnosis?  Anxiety and depression, I assume?  If, like myself, you refuse to take other medications, did this disqualify you?  If not, how did your doctor address this?

I don't even see a psych anymore, and haven't since I filled that last Rx of K poison.  My PCP would be on board to help me in any way she could tho.

Many thanks,

WR

• 2 weeks later...

When I first applied I did so under Protracted benzo withdrawal and listed some disabling symptoms I had. I knew nothing about nothing regarding SSDI so I figured I'd just tell the truth because.. well... it was the truth. Needless to say the claim was rejected.

It was only after I went though the appeals process and found a good lawyer that I was instructed that if you want to be approved for SSDI, you need to claim a diagnosis that is medically recognized and can be proven with medical records. Long story short I then flied for SSDI under anxiety/ depression during the appeals process and started seeing a psychiatrist once a month. When it came time for my hearing the psychiatrist filled out a form and described how my anxiety/ depression prevented me from working. The judge ended up approving my case and that was that.

The anxiety/ depression doesn't have to be so severe that you're catatonic or unable to speak/ read, etc. What the lawyer explained to me is that they're just looking to see if you're inconsistent in your day to day. That your bad days prevent you from functioning properly and that they're random + tied your disability.

My advice should you take the anxiety/ depression route is to find a psychiatrist that is on board with what you're trying to do. They're out there.. believe me. As for the medications... you don't need to take them. Just have him/her prescribe them to you. If on paper you don't have medications prescribed to you, I highly doubt they will take your claim seriously. After all, you're claiming the anxiety/ depression is so severe that it's preventing you from working. So you need to be on meds (on paper)

My whole ordeal was a very long one. Took 2 years from start to finish. Buy yes... they will give you retroactive pay should your case be approved as they did with me. It saved me.

Also... regarding the PCP. If you apply under anxiety/ depression you need to be under the care of a mental health professional. I tried to go the PCP route as well when I first applied. They will not approve you. Again, everything got figured out under the guidance of a lawyer who walked me through this.

Perhaps you can consult with one in your area and they can give you more advice. You don't have to pay them. They get paid only if your case gets approved.

Thanks so much for your reply, Woods.  Very helpful.  I'm so glad it worked out for you.  The financial burden, on top of the hell withdrawal, is a lot to bear.  My husband had been carrying us through this for nearly four years now.  I should have pursued this long ago, but was just too sick to deal with anything but basic needs, getting through the day.  I finally feel that I'm nearing the end of this horrid journey (fingers crossed - who really knows...), and cringe at taking the time to do this, vs. looking forward.  Perhaps I should.  I don't know  :crazy:.  For now, I'll let it rest, see how the next month or two plays out.

I see you've been at this a long time as well. Sending you my best wishes.

WR

So one needs to take their drugs to get approved?

When I went through this lengthy process…. a lawyer who helped me initially, said I wasn’t on a strong enough pain medication. They also said SSI judges do not care how much pain you’re in.

One of the judges whom I would eventually see seemed more preoccupied with her hair than with my case.

It was an eye opener to how unpredictable/convoluted/humbling this whole, drawn out process can be.

I never did switch to a stronger med for pain….I knew I couldn’t physically tolerate morphine. If I recall correctly, the only other medication I was taking besides the pain medication which many would deem as the weakest prescribed pain reliever on the market,  was Elavil.

I have ALWAYS had a healthy fear of taking prescribed medications…..especially psychotropics.

It’s hard to believe I’m going through this benzo mess!! Still trying to grasp it all.....how I ended up willfully taking the most dangerous drug in this world. Absolute ignorance....that's how. :'(

• 1 month later...

So one needs to take their drugs to get approved?

As for the medications... you don't need to take them. Just have him/her prescribe them to you...  you need to be on meds (on paper)