Study, Nov/18: Diazepam Toxicity Presenting as a Dementia Disorder

[La...]

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30400100

Abstract

The toxicity associated with long-standing benzodiazepine use in older persons is a critical issue. Several epidemiological reports have studied correlation between benzodiazepine use and risk of dementia development. In this manuscript, we used a case report to demonstrate how chronic diazepam use can cause cognitive deficits that resemble Alzheimer's disease and related conditions. Benzodiazepine use is common in the geriatric population and is often taken for long periods of time in improper doses. In combination with age-related cortical atrophy on the MRI, our patient risked being misdiagnosed with Alzheimer's disease or another dementing disorder if not for the systematic investigation to resolve his symptoms. With elimination of the offending dispensable drug (diazepam), the patient's cognition improved greatly.

I have many symptoms that would point towards dementia, perhaps not Alzheimer's .. my cognitive functioning is now very poor, i hope that with homeopathic treatment there might be some improvements.  40 years consumption is a long time and I don't think there are any studies of the effects of such long term usage.

No, I doubt there are any long-term studies like that. There would be too many confounding factors. Without a before-and-after, it's hard to point to one thing over another. However, in this case study, and according to the abstract, the person's cognition improved after the medication was removed. They point to a "systematic investigation" that was done to resolve the man's symptoms. I applaud their efforts to figure out the cause of the problem.

No, I doubt there are any long-term studies like that. There would be too many confounding factors. Without a before-and-after, it's hard to point to one thing over another. However, in this case study, and according to the abstract, the person's cognition improved after the medication was removed. They point to a "systematic investigation" that was done to resolve the man's symptoms. I applaud their efforts to figure out the cause of the problem.

Yes it is good they at least did that.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Good article, Lap, thanks for posting.  Well worth reading the full case study to get the complete picture, here it is:  https://sci-hub.tw/10.3233/JAD-180745

• "Although causation has not been definitively determined, benzodiazepines have been strongly associated with cognitive deficits in geriatric patients [6–13]. We wonder whether cognitive impairment in these patients results from dose-dependent amnestic effects of benzodiazepines or whether use of benzodiazepines actually increase the risk of dementia development.

In this manuscript, we present a case report of a 76-year-old male who presented with slow onset of short-term memory loss. Forgetfulness in elderly individuals unquestionably triggers the possibility of Alzheimer’s disease. However, after systematic evaluation of his symptoms, it was determined that patient’s cognitive deficits were triggered by his long-standing diazepam use and reversed on discontinuing the drug."

• "Overall, the initial diagnosis was that patient’s gradual decline in cognition was caused by diazepam toxicity."

• "A 76-year-old right-handed male presented to a cognitive disorders clinic with a chief complaint of forgetfulness that was gradual and progressive. The patient’s wife reported that he had been experiencing short-term memory loss, such as forgetting days of the week, for the past 2 years. The patient’s forgetfulness did not interfere with activities of daily living. However, for the past 6 months, he spent most of his day in bed."

• "Until 2 years ago, the patient enjoyed participating in social events such as dinners, playing senior softball, and bridge."

• "He had been prescribed diazepam 3 years ago (10 mg BID) by his primary medical doctor for symptoms of apathy, hypersomnia, weight gain, increased alcohol intake, depression, and disagreeableness, associated with his retirement."

A 76-year-old had been prescribed a benzo for "disagreeableness" and "weight gain" and "apathy" and alcoholism????? Whaaaat?! Holy Moly! Beyond comprehension.