Cold Turky twice WITHOUT WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS

[be...]

Hi,

I am currently withdrawing (down to zero 3 weeks ago) from my third benzo addiction (5 mg diazepam daily for 7 years). Pregabalin is a big help.

I wonder if there is any info here or otherwise on the internet about symptom free cold turkey withdrawal from benzos.

Just asking because I've managed to do that twice in my early and late 20's! Just quit after 2 years usage of clonazepam 1mg daily and later alprazolam 1mg daily. Reduced to zero cold turkey and had NO SYMPTOMS AT ALL!

Apparently, from what I've read so far, this is basically impossible.

Now with 41 I have managed to taper for a month and drop to zero (3 weeks ago) my 7 years (5 mg diazepam daily) abuse for 7 years.

This time I am struggling with psychical symptoms (anxiety, depression and sleep disorder), so I am taking pregabalin for now, trying to quit that later as well.

Any idea how I managed to get off symptom free back then??? The only thing I can think of is age, the fact that I was younger(?)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ma...]

• [Th...]

• [ea...]

• [By...]

Probs a genetic thing as much as anything... I would suggest not to try for a forth time though..

My understanding is that the Majority of people come off with few problems, So Im sure there will be some that have no problems...

All the best as you continue...

Probs a genetic thing as much as anything... I would suggest not to try for a forth time though..

My understanding is that the Majority of people come off with few problems, So Im sure there will be some that have no problems...

All the best as you continue...

My first withdrawal was easy as well, and this is not uncommon.  I agree, this isn't something that would be wise to repeat at this point.  It's a good idea, imo, once one is off after multiple withdrawals, to stay off.

:smitten:

I agree. Don't invite trouble. Stay OFF benzos and then you will not have to worry. By withdrawing multiple times you can create "kindling" which may give you worse withdrawals in the future.

east

Thanks guys. I will definitely stay off forever. Even thinking about it makes me sick. No craving at all. There are alternatives and my final goal is to be clean altogether not taking any synthetics or just take herbal stuff. Lavender oil extract is very promising, I am testing it currently.

I read about kindling, could be the reason for my current symptoms, quite scary. Hope it's not lasting.

As for the statistics, apparently 80-90% of people withdrawing have symptoms lasting for a month at most. So what you read on the internet are the 10-20% who are protracted and this pretty much distorts the truth on withdrawal. Basically you read almost only horror stuff and this makes people scarred, which I believe worsens their situation, making them believe it will be horrific for them too, adding to their fear.

People coming off without much trouble will probably not make a contribution here or in other benzo forums. Still if there is anyone who had little or no problems coming off, please share your stories. Let us see that it can be dropped without much trouble too.

I think one of the reasons for my symptom free cold turkey was that I knew nothing about withdrawal and did not read the internet.

Ignorance is bliss, isn't it? ::)

I agree with most of what you said. But ignorance is NOT bliss when it comes to WD. I didn't know what it could be like and almost everyone else here was just as uninformed.

I would guess that perhaps 5% of people have unpleasant WD symptoms. The percentage who have AWFUL sx is lower. Maybe 1 or 2%. Most people get off benzos without any trouble. But the few who are affected need BB or a similar support forum.

When I was a newbie here, I had to pick and choose what I believed. I learned a great deal here. Learning how to cope with symptoms was truly difficult for me, but everything I learned, I got from BB.

Glad you are doing better. Lucky soul!

bence,

like you, i have been on benzos off and on over many years.  even up to a couple of years ago (i am a little older than you are) i could just NOT take xanax and feel absolutely no repurcussions.  zero.  none.  nada.

i only took it when i had some bad moments.

past 18 mos, however, has been really difficult on a number of fronts on my personal and professional life.  i decided a couple of months ago that oct would be my last month and began a rapid taper.  felt ok for oct during taper and into first 2 weeks of nov...stopped with my last pill nov 19 and then things turned south.  new sets of issues with ex and children, etc., etc...and i just woke up feeling horrible...like a tornado flu hit.  matter of fact, thats what i thought i had.  a flu until i realized...maybe its something else.  i had already scoured the internet months before so i kinda new what to watch out for and what i was getting myself OUT of.

no answers for you man on why your body changed...u know, i used to not be allergic to cats.  then i turned 14 and i touched a cat and i just blew out in hives, congestion, insanely itchy eyes.

maybe for your body diazepam crossed the line?  your body could handle the prior meds, but diazepam is the one your body chose to cling onto?  hence the w/d?

getting off and staying off won't kill you.  but i think long term, you have come to the understanding that being on medication is not where you want to be...and that's what you should focus on during the tough times.  invest a little pain now for a longer and happier life later

cheers and good luck.

People coming off without much trouble will probably not make a contribution here or in other benzo forums. Still if there is anyone who had little or no problems coming off, please share your stories. Let us see that it can be dropped without much trouble too.

OK here's my story.

After 8+ years of daily clonazepam use, ending at 8 mg daily and on some days due to extreme muscle cramps

and additional 4, 8, 16 mg's.

I was forced to stop taking clonazepam because of the fear it created and doctor's not wanting to prescribe it any longer for me.

Even though I didn't have any problem with it other then some memory issues.

Gone finished done in six weeks.

I would of been quicker but the replacement drugs had a side effect I didn't want.

Hair loss.

With all the scars on my head, two implants under my scalp

and some depressions form having a few holes drilled through my skull.

I would for been done with clonazepam in less than 5 weeks.

That was a year ago and no problems.

Thank you all for your stories and advises!

As I said, I definitely quit benzos for good. I just found out, that the first time I was taking a sedative was actually a benzo :o So repeated usage was not a conscious decision...

But I have no craving or what so ever right now and alternative medication is almost as good as diazepam.

I am taking pregabalin now between 150 and 200 mg

Do you guys have any experience on that? How long you had to take pregabalin after coming off benzos?

I am trying to keep it low and short even if all doctors and psychotherapists advise me to be not so strict with myself. I should rather take it for a couple of months as I can easily get off, provided the dose is not increased.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Which statistics? Can you show those studies?

I don't believe in the numbers you mention. What I see is a silent epidemic in which many people are suffering from WD (or tolerance WD) and thinking it's their condition that got worse or another condition, and being given growing amounts of psychiatric medication. These people aren't here either.

As for the statistics, apparently 80-90% of people withdrawing have symptoms lasting for a month at most. So what you read on the internet are the 10-20% who are protracted and this pretty much distorts the truth on withdrawal.

I would guess that perhaps 5% of people have unpleasant WD symptoms. The percentage who have AWFUL sx is lower. Maybe 1 or 2%. Most people get off benzos without any trouble.

You can never trust a benzo. That's my motto. I have heard of people stopping, then starting, over and over, then suddenly BAM! Withdrawal comes very hard. Be very careful with these drugs. If you do have a difficult withdrawal, go VERY SLOWLY at first to find out how your nerves will do. I know it's difficult because you think that getting off the drug is soon as possible will help you. Not so. The nerves are at stake. The CNS has taken the brunt of it. We have billions of neurotransmitters within our system. Benzos can affect any one of them. 

I think that more people are in protracted, but many of them are unaware. They go to the doctor and are given multiple pills. Magnesi, I believe, is right. This is a silent epidemic. People are being given heavy, antipsychotic drugs. They may not even be aware that the bottom line is the benzo all along.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am currently withdrawing (down to zero 3 weeks ago) from my third benzo addiction (5 mg diazepam daily for 7 years). Pregabalin is a big help.

I wonder if there is any info here or otherwise on the internet about symptom free cold turkey withdrawal from benzos.

Just asking because I've managed to do that twice in my early and late 20's! Just quit after 2 years usage of clonazepam 1mg daily and later alprazolam 1mg daily. Reduced to zero cold turkey and had NO SYMPTOMS AT ALL!

Apparently, from what I've read so far, this is basically impossible.

Now with 41 I have managed to taper for a month and drop to zero (3 weeks ago) my 7 years (5 mg diazepam daily) abuse for 7 years.

This time I am struggling with psychical symptoms (anxiety, depression and sleep disorder), so I am taking pregabalin for now, trying to quit that later as well.

Any idea how I managed to get off symptom free back then??? The only thing I can think of is age, the fact that I was younger(?)

Lots of people take Benzos for years and quit without any symptoms or withdrawal...so it's not impossible.

My theory is this:  You get withdrawal only after you have been on benzos long enough to have reached tolerance?  I took Benzos for about 2 months in early 2016 and quit cold turkey and had ZERO symptoms too.  I took them for sleep and my sleep returned to normal for about 6 weeks after my first CT.  Then I got hit by a few nights of bad sleep after that and went back on Benzos for about 3 months.

The second time I reached tolerance after about 1 month and started up dosing so I could get some sleep.  I never reached tolerance the first time I was on them. I stayed on higher doses for another 2 months then jumped CT.  I had a terrible withdrawal that was like acute for 8 months, then things slowly started to get better.  I was healed in about 14 months.  I am now 28 months off and doing very well.  Zero symptoms for the past 14 months.

Age probably helped, but not likely...I was 52 at the time of my 1st and 2nd CT.  What helped you is that you never reached tolerance IMO.  That's why doctors continue to prescribe this poison as lots of folks take it for months, years or decades, quit and have zero issues.

Lots of people take Benzos for years and quit without any symptoms or withdrawal...

How do you know? I've never seen any evidence. What I see is people here that keep repeating the same but without any proof. I think we shouldn't do it.

My opinions are based on over 6 years of being here on BB and other sites on the

Net.

And they are only guesses. Do you really think that SO many people have TERRIBLE withdrawals and our governments have not acted on it? I seriously doubt it. The US is behind other countries about benzos but even here, if it were THAT many people, they would have done more to curb benzo use. I believe that because onbly a small percentage of people have such bad WDs, the enitre problem has flown under the radar. I am sure some of you have run into people who simply think you are lying or exxagerating when you tell them what it is really like for you.

For a few unfortunate people, getting off benzos is a huge ordeal. And no one knows why. It just is.

I have found, over the years, that the average BB member is highly intelligent...greater than the normal population. Nopt sure if that means anything but it is something I have noticed.

east

My opinions are based on over 6 years of being here on BB and other sites on the

Net.

And they are only guesses. Do you really think that SO many people have TERRIBLE withdrawals and our governments have not acted on it? I seriously doubt it. The US is behind other countries about benzos but even here, if it were THAT many people, they would have done more to curb benzo use. I believe that because onbly a small percentage of people have such bad WDs, the enitre problem has flown under the radar. I am sure some of you have run into people who simply think you are lying or exxagerating when you tell them what it is really like for you.

For a few unfortunate people, getting off benzos is a huge ordeal. And no one knows why. It just is.

I have found, over the years, that the average BB member is highly intelligent...greater than the normal population. Nopt sure if that means anything but it is something I have noticed.

east

OK, then it's just a guess, based on your own experience on BB and other sites on the Net (which, as you probably agree, do not provide a representative sample), and on your belief that the world, or at least the US, works in rational and fair ways.

However, my experience with BB and real life is different and I don't share your belief that the world, US included, is rational and fair.

From all this we can conclude that the claim that only a few people have problems getting off benzos lacks substance and could be totally wrong.

I have had indepth conversations about this with several of my "good" Drs...

What we go through is NOT the norm, as per their experiences...

Somewhere in the middle lies the truth/reality...

I know that for Me this happend for two reasons..

I am genetically sensitive to some/most medications...

And Also the sheer volume and number of medications post accident was insane but often needed...

:)

Lots of people take Benzos for years and quit without any symptoms or withdrawal...

How do you know? I've never seen any evidence. What I see is people here that keep repeating the same but without any proof. I think we shouldn't do it.

So you honestly believe every person that takes Benzos has withdrawal?  My evidence is from talking to doctors and others that work in rehab clinics. My P-doc prescribed benzos to hundreds of patients and was very surprised that I had withdrawal...he didn't even believe in it because of his past experience prescribing and patient complaints.  Benzos are the most widely prescribed drug in the world; so if everyone got Benzo withdrawal, we would know about it by now.  I have personal experience, experience from doctors and hundreds of hours of research along with that fact that 3 or 4 friends took Benzos for years and quit and nothing happened to them.  You are very closed minded and uninformed.

Benzodiazepines are some of the most common medications in the world; a recent study sponsored by the National Institutes of Health found that about 1 in 20 adults received a prescription for them in 2008 and that number has increased dramatically by 2016.

“Benzodiazapines are very effective, particularly in the short term, for the treatment of acute anxiety and insomnia,” says Larissa Mooney, an assistant professor of psychiatry and director of the Addiction Medicine Clinic at the University of California-Los Angeles. “They calm people down, and they help people fall asleep and stay asleep.”

Most doctors say benzodiazepines should not be prescribed for more than a few weeks. The body slowly builds up a dependency to the pills, which can be averted by not taking them for an extended duration. Patients should also make sure to follow their doctor's dosage instructions, and to slowly taper off the medication instead of stopping cold turkey.

In some cases, though, long-term use of benzodiazepines can be acceptable, Mooney says.

“There are a subset of people who seem to respond very well to long-term benzodiazepines,” she says. “They may be maintained on a low dose and never need anything higher – meaning they don’t develop a tolerance. They may be intolerant to other classes of medications. And it seems to augment their treatment for anxiety, insomnia, etc.”

“In most cases of benzodiazepine dependence, addiction begins with a legitimate prescription,” says Tiffany Jones-Rouse, a licensed social worker and substance abuse counselor based in the Baltimore-District of Columbia metro area. “Folks seek intervention for a variety of conditions, from muscle spasms to chronic anxiety disorders, and they're often issued a prescription for Xanax, Valium, Klonazepam, Ativan or another tranquilizer.”

These drugs, she says, can be beneficial for people who have never demonstrated drug or alcohol dependence. In this case, their dosage should always be time-limited and closely monitored by a physician who addresses the potential for addiction.

The problem, Jones-Rouse says, is that while many physicians impose prescription time limits and address the risks and side effects, others might not. Over time, a patient will sometimes develop a tolerance toward the benzodiazepines. Their negative symptoms will return, and they will either request a larger dosage from their doctors, buy the medicine illegally or turn to another substance, like alcohol.

In certain cases, Jones-Rouse adds, people don't recognize that they're dependent until they make the decision to stop taking the medication. They’ll quickly find that they experience uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms.

If every person that took Benzos had withdrawal, there would be tens of millions of people on this forum, not thousands.  It is simple logic and simple math.

I don't have enough time now but I'll answer you little by little.

So you honestly believe every person that takes Benzos has withdrawal? 

Not believing that only a minority of people have withdrawal does not equate to believing that every one that takes benzos has withdrawal. Surely you understand that, otherwise a discussion is impossible.

My evidence is from talking to doctors and others that work in rehab clinics. My P-doc prescribed benzos to hundreds of patients and was very surprised that I had withdrawal...he didn't even believe in it because of his past experience prescribing and patient complaints.  Benzos are the most widely prescribed drug in the world; so if everyone got Benzo withdrawal, we would know about it by now.  I have personal experience, experience from doctors and hundreds of hours of research along with that fact that 3 or 4 friends took Benzos for years and quit and nothing happened to them.  You are very closed minded and uninformed.

Benzodiazepines are some of the most common medications in the world; a recent study sponsored by the National Institutes of Health found that about 1 in 20 adults received a prescription for them in 2008 and that number has increased dramatically by 2016.

“Benzodiazapines are very effective, particularly in the short term, for the treatment of acute anxiety and insomnia,” says Larissa Mooney, an assistant professor of psychiatry and director of the Addiction Medicine Clinic at the University of California-Los Angeles. “They calm people down, and they help people fall asleep and stay asleep.”

Most doctors say benzodiazepines should not be prescribed for more than a few weeks. The body slowly builds up a dependency to the pills, which can be averted by not taking them for an extended duration. Patients should also make sure to follow their doctor's dosage instructions, and to slowly taper off the medication instead of stopping cold turkey.

In some cases, though, long-term use of benzodiazepines can be acceptable, Mooney says.

“There are a subset of people who seem to respond very well to long-term benzodiazepines,” she says. “They may be maintained on a low dose and never need anything higher – meaning they don’t develop a tolerance. They may be intolerant to other classes of medications. And it seems to augment their treatment for anxiety, insomnia, etc.”

“In most cases of benzodiazepine dependence, addiction begins with a legitimate prescription,” says Tiffany Jones-Rouse, a licensed social worker and substance abuse counselor based in the Baltimore-District of Columbia metro area. “Folks seek intervention for a variety of conditions, from muscle spasms to chronic anxiety disorders, and they're often issued a prescription for Xanax, Valium, Klonazepam, Ativan or another tranquilizer.”

These drugs, she says, can be beneficial for people who have never demonstrated drug or alcohol dependence. In this case, their dosage should always be time-limited and closely monitored by a physician who addresses the potential for addiction.

The problem, Jones-Rouse says, is that while many physicians impose prescription time limits and address the risks and side effects, others might not. Over time, a patient will sometimes develop a tolerance toward the benzodiazepines. Their negative symptoms will return, and they will either request a larger dosage from their doctors, buy the medicine illegally or turn to another substance, like alcohol.

In certain cases, Jones-Rouse adds, people don't recognize that they're dependent until they make the decision to stop taking the medication. They’ll quickly find that they experience uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms.

If every person that took Benzos had withdrawal, there would be tens of millions of people on this forum, not thousands.  It is simple logic and simple math.

Not really. Most people don't use support groups and many don't know they are dependent on their benzo. When they stop taking it and feel bad, they are told it's their underlying condition that got worse or a new condition, and are updosed or given other meds. Like you, they can't believe their doctor could be so wrong. That's why I call it a silent epidemic.

ADs can have just as bad or worse withdrawal than Benzos and I see you are tapering off one, so all of your issues may not be Benzo related?  I think you are just frustrated by your withdrawal experience?  You can believe what you want, but everything I have read suggests that somewhere between 20-40% of the people that take Benzos experience some type of withdrawal.  Again, it all depends on if they reach tolerance or not!  Even if that percentage is higher, what is that going to do for you?  And even if it is a silent epidemic as you claim, it is not about to change anytime in the foreseeable future.  I totally agree that people are often told they have another underlying medical condition for their Benzo withdrawal symptoms and then they offer more drugs.  I was told the same thing and they wanted me to go on an AD, but I wouldn't do it.  I know that is how many end up poly drugged.

However, I have personally known people that were on Ambien or Xanax or Valium for years and quit CT and had zero withdrawal.  Plus there are varying degrees of withdrawal.  Some people have intense symptoms that last for years and years, others heal fairly quickly and many have symptoms that are so minor that they don't even realize they had withdrawal.

I know Benzo withdrawal is real and I don't believe Benzos should be prescribed unless they can save your life, so debating about how many people are affected is pointless as the medical community doesn't even recognize benzo withdrawal and even if they do they say it ends in 2-4 weeks.  Change happens in the medical community at glacial speeds. 

If you want to make people more aware, visit w-bad.org  (world benzodiazepine awareness day's web site)

ADs can have just as bad or worse withdrawal than Benzos and I see you are tapering off one, so all of your issues may not be Benzo related?  I think you are just frustrated by your withdrawal experience?  You can believe what you want, but everything I have read suggests that somewhere between 20-40% of the people that take Benzos experience some type of withdrawal.  Again, it all depends on if they reach tolerance or not!  Even if that percentage is higher, what is that going to do for you?  And even if it is a silent epidemic as you claim, it is not about to change anytime in the foreseeable future.  I totally agree that people are often told they have another underlying medical condition for their Benzo withdrawal symptoms and then they offer more drugs.  I was told the same thing and they wanted me to go on an AD, but I wouldn't do it.  I know that is how many end up poly drugged.

However, I have personally known people that were on Ambien or Xanax or Valium for years and quit CT and had zero withdrawal.  Plus there are varying degrees of withdrawal.  Some people have intense symptoms that last for years and years, others heal fairly quickly and many have symptoms that are so minor that they don't even realize they had withdrawal.

I know Benzo withdrawal is real and I don't believe Benzos should be prescribed unless they can save your life, so debating about how many people are affected is pointless as the medical community doesn't even recognize benzo withdrawal and even if they do they say it ends in 2-4 weeks.  Change happens in the medical community at glacial speeds. 

If you want to make people more aware, visit w-bad.org  (world benzodiazepine awareness day's web site)

No, ThEwAy2, again you're not correct. I'm healing well from the benzo dependence and I've not yet started tapering the AD. And if you think it's pointless to discuss how many people are affected by benzo withdrawal, then stop saying it's only a small minority. You sound as you're defending benzo producers / prescribers!

Cold Turkey twice WITHOUT WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS

I did the same, my first couple of times going cold turkey was easy, no symptoms.  But then it caught up with me big time after several times.  The repeated going cold turkey screwed me over. Feel fortunate that you don't have withdrawal symptoms, I wouldn't go back to repeated cold-turkeying if I were you, trust me, it will catch up with you and you certainly don't want that. 

@[Ma...]

No, I misread your signature.  That doesn't make me wrong.  I am not defending Benzos.  They are one of the worst drugs ever made and never should be prescribed unless they can save a person's life.  But apparently you read what you want as I already said this in my previous post.  I was "attacked" many times on the Insomnia forum for suggesting all Rx drugs, not just Benzos, should be avoided like a person would avoid rat poison.  Many people pushed for taking other drugs during withdrawal on the insomnia forum and I always argued against that until I was told by the moderators it was against forum rules to tell people what to do.  If you would bother to read any of my posts on the insomnia board, which is where I do almost all my posting, you would learn that I am anti Rx drugs for anything; even OTC pain killers.

What I am disagreeing with is your false narrative that almost all people that take Benzos experience some type of withdrawal.  I am attacking your posturing and rhetoric without any proof.  You have nothing to offer to support your position other than your own personal beliefs and then you jump to your own false conclusions.  I said 20-40% of people that take Benzos experience some type of withdrawal.  That is NOT a small minority.  A small minority is less than 5%. 

ADs can cause just as many problems as Benzos, so you sound like you are defending taking ADs during withdrawal!  ADs should be avoided like rat poison too.

I could easily say 50% or more of all the people that take Benzos get some type of withdrawal, but I have nothing to support that.  I would love to say 100% of the people that take Benzos have some type of withdrawal as I wish they would completely stop prescribing them, but again, I have nothing to support that. 

I am anti-Benzo but that doesn't give me the right to make false claims about a drug that I believe is the bane of man's existence!

@Magnesi

No, I misread your signature.  That doesn't make me wrong.  I am not defending Benzos.  They are one of the worst drugs ever made and never should be prescribed unless they can save a person's life.  But apparently you read what you want as I already said this in my previous post.  I was "attacked" many times on the Insomnia forum for suggesting all Rx drugs, not just Benzos, should be avoided like a person would avoid rat poison.  Many people pushed for taking other drugs during withdrawal on the insomnia forum and I always argued against that until I was told by the moderators it was against forum rules to tell people what to do.  If you would bother to read any of my posts on the insomnia board, which is where I do almost all my posting, you would learn that I am anti Rx drugs for anything; even OTC pain killers.

What I am disagreeing with is your false narrative that almost all people that take Benzos experience some type of withdrawal.  I am attacking your posturing and rhetoric without any proof.  You have nothing to offer to support your position other than your own personal beliefs and then you jump to your own false conclusions.  I said 20-40% of people that take Benzos experience some type of withdrawal.  That is NOT a small minority.  A small minority is less than 5%. 

ADs can cause just as many problems as Benzos, so you sound like you are defending taking ADs during withdrawal!  ADs should be avoided like rat poison too.

I could easily say 50% or more of all the people that take Benzos get some type of withdrawal, but I have nothing to support that.  I would love to say 100% of the people that take Benzos have some type of withdrawal as I wish they would completely stop prescribing them, but again, I have nothing to support that. 

I am anti-Benzo but that doesn't give me the right to make false claims about a drug that I believe is the bane of man's existence!

ThEwAy2, it was you that, without any supporting evidence, said that only a small percentage of people experiences withdrawal. I see that repeated here time and time again and I don't like it. It would be something that someone defending benzo producers/prescribers would do. So, please show the quantitative evidence behind your quantitative statement or acknowledge that it's just a supposition that could be totally wrong.

Are you really that dense?  What part of 20-40% don't you understand?  Or were you absent the day they taught math at school?  Obviously you can't READ nor comprehend anything at all.  The burden of proof is on you not me, and I said Benzos are the Bane of Man's Existence and yet you insist I am defending those that make and prescribe them.  And maybe the moon is made of green cheese too. 

You are not going to get me to argue for Benzos, however, the medical community does not even recognize withdrawal:

Post-acute-withdrawal syndrome (PAWS) is a set of persistent impairments that occur after withdrawal from alcohol,[1][2] opiates, benzodiazepines, antidepressants and other substances.[3][4][5] Infants born to mothers who used substances of dependence during pregnancy may also experience a post-acute withdrawal syndrome.[6][7] While post-acute withdrawal syndrome has been reported by those in the recovery community, there have been few scientific studies supporting its existence.[8] Because of this, the disorder is not recognized by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders[9] or major medical associations.

References

Stephen Rich J, Martin PR (2014). "Co-occurring psychiatric disorders and alcoholism". Handb Clin Neurol. 125: 573–88. doi:10.1016/B978-0-444-62619-6.00033-1. PMID 25307597.

Miller FT (Mar–Apr 1994). "Protracted alcohol withdrawal delirium". J Subst Abuse Treat. 11 (2): 127–30. doi:10.1016/0740-5472(94)90029-9. PMID 8040915.

Collier, Judith; Longmore, Murray (2003). "4". In Scally, Peter. Oxford Handbook of Clinical Specialties (6 ed.). Oxford University Press. p. 366. ISBN 978-0-19-852518-9.

Ashton H (1991). "Protracted withdrawal syndromes from benzodiazepines". J Subst Abuse Treat. benzo.org.uk. 8 (1–2): 19–28. doi:10.1016/0740-5472(91)90023-4. PMID 1675688.

Wu JM; Wei DY; Luo YF; Xiang XY (November 2003). "[Clinic research on heroin de-addiction effects of acupuncture and its potentiality of preventing relapse]". Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Xue Bao. 1 (4): 268–72. doi:10.3736/jcim20030412. PMID 15339529.

Lejeune C; Floch-Tudal C; Montamat S; Crenn-Hebert C; Simonpoli AM (March 1997). "[Management of drug addict pregnant women and their children]". Arch Pediatr. 4 (3): 263–70. doi:10.1016/S0929-693X(97)87247-8. PMID 9181022.

Gaillard MC; Borruat FX (April 2002). "[New finding: transitory horizontal pendular nystagmus secondary to neonatal abstinence syndrome]". Klin Monatsbl Augenheilkd. 219 (4): 317–9. doi:10.1055/s-2002-30650. PMID 12022028.

Satel SL (May 1993). "Should protracted withdrawal from drugs be included in DSM-IV?". American Journal of Psychiatry. 150 (5): 695–704. doi:10.1176/ajp.150.5.695. PMID 8097618.

"Symptoms & Treatments of Mental Disorders". psychcentral.com. Retrieved 2014-10-01.

Good luck living in your fantasy world of delusional thinking.