When will the medical community finally get it?

[Ho...]

That is somewhat of a rhetorical question...

My doctor prescribed Seroquel to help me sleep.  This is a drug used for bipolar disorder and schizophrenia, which he openly admitted I do not suffer from.  He said it’s drowsy effect would help me sleep.  Why would my doctor intentionally prescribe me a brain chemical altering drug with all that I’m going through knowing that I didn’t need it? (again, rhetorical) When will these doctors get it?  This is how many of us became dependent on benzodiazepines!

I think a lot of these doctors have no real field experience. They’re just programmed to diagnose and prescribe. They read in some medical journal that a drug is not habit-forming and that becomes the truth for them with no real research put into what they are prescribing.

Sorry for the rant, but I just don’t get it sometimes.

Well wishes to all !!

That is somewhat of a rhetorical question...

My doctor prescribed Seroquel to help me sleep.  This is a drug used for bipolar disorder and schizophrenia, which he openly admitted I do not suffer from.  He said it’s drowsy effect would help me sleep.  Why would my doctor intentionally prescribe me a brain chemical altering drug with all that I’m going through knowing that I didn’t need it? (again, rhetorical) When will these doctors get it?  This is how many of us became dependent on benzodiazepines!

I think a lot of these doctors have no real field experience. They’re just programmed to diagnose and prescribe. They read in some medical journal that a drug is not habit-forming and that becomes the truth for them with no real research put into what they are prescribing.

Sorry for the rant, but I just don’t get it sometimes.

Well wishes to all !!

Prescribing is now the norm ... for everything.  Little thought is given to the long term consequences.

Just a suggestion for the OP: chamomile tea. Really. I've been having a bad time with insomnia and decided to try this again. I used it a lot during my taper and it worked like a charm. But I forgot about it. It works GREAT!!!!!! I brewed a double strength cup of tea (probably not necessary), drank it and within about 20 minutes started to feel drowsy. Then seriously drowsy. I got into bed and slept for 6 hours straight, woke up, drank some water, and went back to sleep for 2 more hours.

You can Google it -- drowsiness is a s/x. Lol when that is the effect we want!!

Maybe give this a try? No dependence, no feeling rotten in the morning, no big $$ outlay.

I've used melatonin in the past also, but nowadays it makes me feel ill. So I was glad to rediscover the tea.

Hope this helps.

Katz

Just a suggestion for the OP: chamomile tea. Really. I've been having a bad time with insomnia and decided to try this again. I used it a lot during my taper and it worked like a charm. But I forgot about it. It works GREAT!!!!!! I brewed a double strength cup of tea (probably not necessary), drank it and within about 20 minutes started to feel drowsy. Then seriously drowsy. I got into bed and slept for 6 hours straight, woke up, drank some water, and went back to sleep for 2 more hours.

You can Google it -- drowsiness is a s/x. Lol when that is the effect we want!!

Maybe give this a try? No dependence, no feeling rotten in the morning, no big $$ outlay.

I've used melatonin in the past also, but nowadays it makes me feel ill. So I was glad to rediscover the tea.

Hope this helps.

Katz

Chamamille worked great for me too...I would recommend it  :thumbsup:

Thank you for the replies!

This post was one of confusion and frustration and was not intended to be an anti-doctor or anti-medication thread.  Reading back through it now, I can see where somebody could interpret it that way, especially a new member.

My apologies...If there are no objections, I will remove it tomorrow.

This post was one of confusion and frustration and was not intended to be an anti-doctor or anti-medication thread.  Reading back through it now, I can see where somebody could interpret it that way, especially a new member.

Thank you Hopper,

Many of us, myself included, have been harmed by substandard medical care.  Believe me, we understand the frustration, anger and hurt that this causes not to mention the end result being benzo withdrawal.  You are welcome to speak about your own personal care, how you were treated or mistreated. Our polices cover speaking in general terms about  the entire medical profession.

pianogirl  :smitten:

Thank you Hopper,

Many of us, myself included, have been harmed by substandard medical care.  Believe me, we understand the frustration, anger and hurt that this causes not to mention the end result being benzo withdrawal.  You are welcome to speak about your own personal care, how you were treated or mistreated. Our polices cover speaking in general terms about  the entire medical profession.

Thank you Piano girl...I am unable to delete this thread.

Thank you Hopper,

Thank you Piano girl...I am unable to delete this thread.

No, it's not possible to do that.  Don't worry, as time goes on this thread will fall to the back pages.

PG  :smitten:

That's from 2013 ... is that intended ?

Hello, everyone,

Just a reminder, benzobuddies is not an anti-doctor or anti-medication group, and we've recently strengthened our rules in this regard:

Anti-doctor, Anti-psychiatrist and Anti-medicine Comments

Yes, this is intended. Although the rules of the forum were determined years ago, they still apply. BB continues to have the same mission and the policies and guidelines remain in place.

pianogirl

That's from 2013 ... is that intended ?

Hello, everyone,

Just a reminder, benzobuddies is not an anti-doctor or anti-medication group, and we've recently strengthened our rules in this regard:

Anti-doctor, Anti-psychiatrist and Anti-medicine Comments

Yes, this is intended. Although the rules of the forum were determined years ago, they still apply. BB continues to have the same mission and the policies and guidelines remain in place.

pianogirl

I got confused for a moment. But the more recent link http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=213000.0 refers back to that 2013 link.

I think the truth will out eventually but it will take a while.

So far my experience in the U.K. is that neurologists are far more aware of the damage that drugs can cause than GPs.

As far as I can tell most shrinks are in complete denial.

Seroquel isn't too bad, it works immediately and is not addictive. They promised me lots of sleep and that's exactly what i get from it, drowsy effects the next day fade over 1-2 weeks.

I think the truth will out eventually but it will take a while.

So far my experience in the U.K. is that neurologists are far more aware of the damage that drugs can cause than GPs.

As far as I can tell most shrinks are in complete denial.

If that's true, people in the UK are lucky. Relatively speaking.

I talked to one. He could only think clinically, in other words have absolutely no clue about iatrogenic effects. Or he pretended not to know.