Totally overwhelmed with the content of benzo buddies...my brain cannot navigate

[Go...]

Hello

I am in desperate need of assistance with a taper...I dont understand the signature request. My brain is feeling overwhelmed with the mountainous (but amazing) info on benzo buddies. I cannot figure out how to navigate it.

I was started on lorazopam in feb. Because I could not sleep due to the sudden and tragic loss of my beautiful young  son. I was having intense ptsd.  My dr put me on lorazopam prn, then a few months later because I was having more and more anxiety instructed me to take .5 in am and 1mg at bed along with 30 mg of temazopam.

I tapered off the day and night lorazopam much much much too fast.  I had the tomazopam converted to a liquid and am down to 0.2 ml.

10 days after stopping the lorazopam I developed panic anxiety attacks that would last 8-10 hours. This went on for 10 consecutive days.  I reinstated the lorazopam .5 during day.

My anxiety and panic eased up immediately until today..day four. It was a day filled with anxiety ( nit as bad as the ten days).

My husband brought me to the hospital and at my request the er dr changed the prescription to diazepam. 2.5 in am and 2.5 in pm.

I'm not sure that is right dose. Im not sure what my starting point should be. I had been odd .5 daytime lorazopam for six weeks and the pm lorazopam for 11 days, as well as down to 0.2 temazopam for six weeks.

I don't knkw what I should do..I am feeling so depressed and afraid.

For the sake of our membership, all references to self-harm and/or harming others have been removed from this thread.

Please click on this link if you are thinking about suicide, self-harm, or harming others: Self-Harm/Ideation (Revised)

So sorry about your tragic loss!!! Ok we need to see if you can stabilize on this new med schedule and from what I have read- if you can do this on the current schedule then that will be a great starting point for your taper.  Obviously you had rebound anxiety and worse due to being taken off this med too quickly the first time. Having said that, this will not be a comfortable process even with a proper taper. Let us know how you are doing on these doses and we can go from there. Plenty of help here. Hang in there while you stabilize knowing this is totally normal and you will get through this. Not around, under or over. In other words ... plan to deal with your awful loss as it may have been subdued with the meds.

LeslieJ is right.  You need to get stable and then SLOWLY taper off the benzo.

I found Buspar (which is not a benzo) helped me get stable faster.  IT IS NOT A CURE.  It just helps make things tolerable.  Once I was stable, I stopped the Buspar and slowly tapered off the benzo.

Thank you for this great information.  I'm worried about the Valium dosage being accurate. I don't want to take too much ...I have been off my .5 lorazopam for six weeks now ( weaned down to .1) and the nighttime of 1 mg ( weaned down to .1) for 11 or so days.

Ypu say it will be a rough taper..is that because I had to reinstate? I'm really really worried now.

Buspar is something I will check into..thank you

I forgot to mention I am on 30 mg of martizopan antidepressant  at night...although it has never seemed of any benefit to me I realize I cannot not suddenly stop taking it.  It will be last to go.

Thank you inn advance for your response.

Hello

I am in desperate need of assistance with a taper...I dont understand the signature request. My brain is feeling overwhelmed with the mountainous (but amazing) info on benzo buddies. I cannot figure out how to navigate it.

I was started on lorazopam in feb. Because I could not sleep due to the sudden and tragic loss of my beautiful young  son. I was having intense ptsd.  My dr put me on lorazopam prn, then a few months later because I was having more and more anxiety instructed me to take .5 in am and 1mg at bed along with 30 mg of temazopam.

I tapered off the day and night lorazopam much much much too fast.  I had the tomazopam converted to a liquid and am down to 0.2 ml.

10 days after stopping the lorazopam I developed panic anxiety attacks that would last 8-10 hours. This went on for 10 consecutive days. I was extremely suicidal..almost as if I was being driven to complete it from an outside source. I became so horrified of my thoughts and the fact that I might act on them that I reinstated the lorazopam .5 during day.

My anxiety and panic eased up immediately until today..day four. It was a day filled with anxiety ( nit as bad as the ten days) but still a bad day filled with depression and suicide ideation.

My husband brought me to the hospital and at my request the er dr changed the prescription to diazepam. 2.5 in am and 2.5 in pm.

I'm not sure that is right dose. Im not sure what my starting point should be. I had been odd .5 daytime lorazopam for six weeks and the pm lorazopam for 11 days, as well as down to 0.2 temazopam for six weeks.

Hi G, :)

Welcome...

I am so sorry about your loss, and further complications with meds on top of that...

I hope you can find some stability on this current dose of V, and let things settle there for a little while...

When ready, you may find that small regular reductions of Valium (V) make it easier... The idea being to let your body adjust to a decreasing dose without "shocking" your system too much...

We are all different, so it is usually best to let ones own body dictate ones taper speed using symptoms (SX) as a guide...

Let us know how things are progressing, and have a poke around BB while you try and get stable...

Daily Liquid Micro Tapering (DLMT) Can be a good tool to help with gentle slide off Benzos, but dont let the idea overwhelm you right now.. There is a dedicated support group, and some great help available, should you decide to go that way at some point... -You may be fine with just pill splitting...

Here is a link to a conversion chart that may help...

https://www.benzo.org.uk/bzequiv.htm

1.5mg Loraz = 15v

30mg Temaz = 15v

-Im not sure if there is a mg to ml Temaz conversion..??

And very short term use (under 2weeks) may facilitate a lower dosage, but not always...

I note that Drs can often over under-estimate short term use, though ofcourse it is a factor to be considered...

I hope this helps a little,

My best wishes...

:)

In many cases one can "trade" Rough for Time... 

:)

Godhelpme,

So sorry to hear about the loss of your son.

As you spend more time on Benzobuddies you will get more accustomed to finding your way around.

Regarding the signature to your posts that mentions what meds you are on and your history of tapering them, It's helpful for people who might be answering your questions or just discussing things with you.  That is why almost everyone here has them.

Here is a link on how to add a signature to your posts so that it shows up automatically:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=9432.msg172993#msg172993

Hello

10 days after stopping the lorazopam I developed panic anxiety attacks that would last 8-10 hours. This went on for 10 consecutive days.  I reinstated the lorazopam .5 during day.

My anxiety and panic eased up immediately until today..day four. It was a day filled with anxiety ( nit as bad as the ten days).

For the sake of our membership, all references to self-harm and/or harming others have been removed from this thread.

Please click on this link if you are thinking about suicide, self-harm, or harming others: Self-Harm/Ideation (Revised)

Hello, I am sorry for your loss, I send you a lot of love, I have a question, did you talk to the Dr about your previous doses?

LeslieJ is right.  You need to get stable and then SLOWLY taper off the benzo.

I found Buspar (which is not a benzo) helped me get stable faster.  IT IS NOT A CURE.  It just helps make things tolerable.  Once I was stable, I stopped the Buspar and slowly tapered off the benzo.

Bob, how much buspar did you take?  My dr. didn't think it wise but then again nothing he said has worked.  At least maybe he is flexible, so will ask again.

Why did you make up capsule with filler rather than just atke a little bit?  Not sure I get this, but interesting!

God, I'm so sorry.  ;( 

As for these boards, I have probs now finding what I've posted and where and thought it was just me.  I find it all confusing so you are not alone in that for sure!

;)

Godhelpme,  :smitten:

I am very sorry about your loss, and that you're having such a tough time with symptoms. The key is to stabilize, and then make changes very very slowly.  Some people are able to taper at a more rapid rate but it seems to me that most people cannot.  Slow and steady will help you manage symptoms along the way - the goal for the taper is to be able to manage the symptoms you do have, as opposed to being free of them entirely. 

I know you're just getting started, so i won't add to overwhelm.  Just take your time, ask questions, make good informed decisions and above all take it slow.  You can do this, and we are all here to help!  :hug:

-PH

I am sorry for your loss . I myself loss my brother and was put on lorazepam for 1 year it has been very difficult to come off of . I am new to all of this and listen to what kind people have to offer for advice . I try to hold on to the same thing that everyone says , it takes time but you will get better .

Wishing you inner peace .

Thank you for you warm and informative responses.

I am having a hell of a time. I cajole not stabilize at 5 mg Valium.  I returned to dr and he raised to 10mg day total.

After a week..still not stable. Crazy anxiety..hyperventilating most of day...extreme outside of my head very real thoughts of suicide...

I realize I tapered off my lorazopam and temazopam much michntoo quickly. But how to fix this now.

I am so very muchnfull of absolute fear every minute. I even got the pills ready to floowm mynplan. My son is dead...I cannot die...my husband and my remaining boys need me.

I have been off the lorazopam and temazopam since nov 18.. is it too late to start those again. I also no realize that the conversion over to Valium should have taken weeks...it was done immediately.

I am so scared...this combined with my intense grief is making me think that thisnwas my life plan...I am not wanting to die but so afraid that I will.

When I switched from Ativan to Valium I did it slowly, staying on Ativan but decreasing the dose 'as' I increased the Valium until I had crossed over completely. In other words I didn't suddenly stop taking Ativan and replace it with Valium because they are two different drugs.

See if you can find a knowledgeable doctor who would let you go back on a lower dose of your old benzo while slowly adding the Valium as you decrease the old benzo.

And as others here say, go slow, listen to your body, and hold the line when you cannot cut at all. It isn't a failure or even a bump in the road because your own body isn't the same as mine or anybody else's.

It may be harder right now too because of your losing your son. Grief can increase anxiety, nightmares and effect every aspect of your life, so be gentle with yourself while you go through the grieving process.

If you haven't ever heard of or read, On Grief and Grieving: Finding the Meaning of Grief Through the Five Stages of Loss by Elizabeth Kubler-Ross getting that from the library or buying your own copy and reading from it might help.

Hang in there; there are so many people on here willing to listen and help as we can because we get help, too. We're in this alone in one sense but we have a shared experience in another. ✍(◔◡◔)

When I switched from Ativan to Valium I did it slowly, staying on Ativan but decreasing the dose 'as' I increased the Valium until I had crossed over completely. In other words I didn't suddenly stop taking Ativan and replace it with Valium because they are two different drugs.

See if you can find a knowledgeable doctor who would let you go back on a lower dose of your old benzo while slowly adding the Valium as you decrease the old benzo.

And as others here say, go slow, listen to your body, and hold the line when you cannot cut at all. It isn't a failure or even a bump in the road because your own body isn't the same as mine or anybody else's.

It may be harder right now too because of your losing your son. Grief can increase anxiety, nightmares and effect every aspect of your life, so be gentle with yourself while you go through the grieving process.

If you haven't ever heard of or read, On Grief and Grieving: Finding the Meaning of Grief Through the Five Stages of Loss by Elizabeth Kubler-Ross getting that from the library or buying your own copy and reading from it might help.

Hang in there; there are so many people on here willing to listen and help as we can because we get help, too. We're in this alone in one sense but we have a shared experience in another. ✍(◔◡◔)

Excellent advice.... I would never recommend reinstating but if you don’t stabilize (stop suicidal thoughts) on 10 mg then going back to previous Benzo at dosage might be right for you. I would not add anymore meds to the mix right now.  Know that this is normal Acute withdrawals and you will not die.

Thank you...when you say go back to previous benzo dose, do you mean the lorazopam ?

Thank you for your quick response

There are NO doctors in my area who knkw what they are doing..I had to tell them ( guessing ) how much Valium.

My situation is complex because I had been off morning lorazopam of .5 for a good six weeks and off pm lorazopam for a good 10 days or so. I had tomazopam compounded to liquid and was down to .2.. almost nothing so I jumped off.  I reinstated for a week until I was put on Valium..which I can't seem to stabilize on.

I was fine for ten days after off everything and then got hit bad with withdrawals. I have been on valuim now since for about a week ..give or take.

I'm trying to keep accurate records but my brain is getting si impaired.

Godhelpme,

This is hard because you were on two, so the one you were at the lowest dose, that one would be--IF you reinstated, the one to reinstate but at a much lower dose, really low, because your body would be tricked into thinking, "Hey, it's back!" and then with the equivalent dose of that drug (see Ashton Manual), or lowering if your body will tolerate it, start the cross over which means increasing Valium AS you lower the Ativan or the other one (whichever is lower, more recent).

If you don't have to do that; if you can handle the withdrawals with more help like listening to relaxing music; getting red night lights to quiet your brain; drinking chamomile tea; picking just a few very uplifting Psalms or other scripture to repeat whenever you feel scared or panicky, do that instead.

I wake up to music, take my meds and lie in bed with a heating pad on my back (I have spine disease), and only get up when I don't feel too shaky, then I do some very easy stretching, including yoga. Or on a workout day, I do the whole routine, again, slowly.

Make sure to eat a little something in the morning after you pray--if you're religious.

Treat yourself gently as you would a child you lost someone, as a child in pain and confusion.

We tend to treat ourselves with some disregard or harshness in ways we would not or have not treated others, so ask yourself, "What would I suggest to my best friend?" And if it is gentle and loving and fits you, do that or those things.

Keep on board.

Your confusion is understandable. It took me over 20 minutes to join this group, no exaggeration because I couldn't read the anti-spam letters and the 'voice' part didn't work for me hear what the letters were, but finally, being patient with myself, here I am.

I do wish I had not been so confused that I chose a backward name. I meant my name to be ValiumFreeZone not ValiumZoneFree. :-)

Thank you valuim zone fee ...I swear I have brain damage.  I knkw what you wrote is meaningful but I have read it and reread it and I can't arrive at a solution.

If I reinstate the lowest dose of lorazopam by which method do I use to lower my Valium dose to appropriate amount.

This is all,such unfamiliar language to me...I had no history of mental illness...anxiety or even pharmaceuticals prior to my son's death a year ago.

I asked my dr specifically if these drugs were addictive..he looked me run in the eyes and said no.

With the added information, I am going to recommend the following protocol (not a doctor):

1. Add .5 Lorazepam back

2. Stick to 10 mg of V

3. Stabilize for 3-4 weeks

4. Reduce Lorazepam by 5 percent every 2 weeks until  at 0. (Still take the 10 mg of V)

5. A good 2 months after completely tapering the Lorazepam, start tapering the V

6. Reduce V by 10 percent every 2 weeks until at 0.

7. Do not updates, cut quicker or give into feelings that you are doomed.

8. Report back symptoms every few days during this process.

We are here for you!

Godhelpme,

LesleyJ has good advice, very specific.

Write it down or print it off and INCREASE THE FONT so you can read it easily.

Keep a copy on your fridge; keep a copy by your bed; tape on to your medicine cabinet.

This way if you get confused and don't remember where a copy is you'll see another one :-)

You can do this.

Try also to say positive things to yourself even if you don't believe them like, "I am not alone." and "I can deal with this." and "I am on the right track."

Like that, always short and positive, because it's true, all of it is true:

We're here for you!

Thank you

I slept it too late to follow you suggestion..I was trying hard to see if anxiety and depression and related thoughts would lesson..they have not...is it too late to add lorazopam now

If not..should I take it with the valuim..I have the five mg Valium unto four doses during day thinking it might even out in my blood..instead of all at once....I take the other 5 before I go to bed.

Thank you

My psychiatrist wants me to try another antidepressant in addition to the martizopan 39 mg I take at night...I'm thinking that's nit a good idea.....what do you think....

take .5 in am and 1mg at bed along with 30 mg of temazopam.

Thank you

I slept it too late to follow you suggestion..I was trying hard to see if anxiety and depression and related thoughts would lesson..they have not...is it too late to add lorazopam now

If not..should I take it with the valuim..I have the five mg Valium unto four doses during day thinking it might even out in my blood..instead of all at once....I take the other 5 before I go to bed.

Thank you

My psychiatrist wants me to try another antidepressant in addition to the martizopan 39 mg I take at night...I'm thinking that's nit a good idea.....what do you think....

Hello Godhelpme-

If your symptoms are not tolerable, add the lorazapam back. It may take a couple of days, but you should get some relief by doing this :thumbsup:

If I were in your shoes I would add the lorazepam and wait a week or so before changing the Anti depressant. Discuss this with your doctor.

i wouldn't take two benzoes. better to turn up 1 if you have to go this way.

Its really hard to tell but i do know that people with no underlying condition would be able to stop benzoes relativly problem free in most cases. I have tried quitting benzoes both depressed and manic(bipolar) it was way easier when i was manic. Then its just stress instead of anxiety, if you go for a slow taper i guess you have to be open to medicine changes if you are in constant suffering. If you choose the short route i dont think messing with to much medication is a good idea and wait 6 weeks after the last benzo and see. Maybe lifestyle changes and have people around you is enough

Psykiatri is a proto science, the doctors are clueless. I had to take a long hard route to be well medicated. On the other hand if bipolar goes untreated you can end with perma depression and mania/psychosis hit really hard so thank god for my seroquel and lamictal.

I dont know but i would keep being revaluated by the doctors until i feel fine. Some don't and theres casualties in both sides :/

• 4 weeks later...

Well I stuck it out on the 10 mg of lorazopam. I would say I'm stabilized now. No more anxiety of sudden compelling urges to give i to dark dark thoughts.

I am not sleeping more than 1-2 hours a night and since my son passed am incapable of falling asleep without medication. I cannot sleep during day. The pattern is the same...I will fapull asleep aim about 30-45 minutes, then I will have one dream (frisr phase of R.E.M.). I wake up immediately after this first dream and thst is that. I don't know how much longer I can function without sleep like this. I take night quality omega oil, magnesium, zinc, b complex, b 12.

Two days ago, I switched from pills to water administration to prepare for DMLT. It seems to upset my stomach. I was taking in am and ok ( 5 mg each time). Today I split into three doses and it seems to have made but it seems to upset tummy worse.

I still continue to be highly sedated and I cannot imagine staying like this for another 300 days. I have never taken any sort drugs prior to my sons accident so I have no tolerance. I still spend majority of day on couch.

I'm wondering if I didn't give the 5 mg Valium a long enough trial. I did start out at 30 mg of temazopam but over 3 months weaned down to .002. Am I know talingto much Valium?  Highly esteemed benzo buddies...is there a way I could " test" lower my dose to see if this would help.

I know that diazopam stays in blood for a longtime so it would be awhile before any change positive or negative would be observed.

I am thanking anyone in advance that may have some ideas for me.

Yes, you could lower the V a bit to see..  Though it can be a bit tricky for some of us.. I kinda had 2 wd's from a cut, One roughly in days 3-7, and another that had increasing waves for quite some time... I dont know if this would be similar for you?? You may know in the first hours, days or weeks...

Also bear in mind any other recent changes or additional meds...

I tried to do any "testing" from as stable of a position as I could, but for you its a bit more time sensitive...

All the best...