MELATONIN!

[Ja...]

Cant sleep? Stay away from all those addictive drugs like diphenhydramine  ( benadryl). I read some studies (easy google search) where melatonin can even help with fixing the circadian rhythm from jet lag.

Personally, I take melatonin (1-3mg depending) when I KNOW I'm going to have a sleepless night and it works!!!

Melatonin is a natural hormone/neurotransmitter in the body. It likes to catalytically convert from serotonin to melatonin, etc. But sometimes, theres issues and your body might have an issue with the co version, so you might not have enough melatonin during nighttime, causing sleep disturbances. Serotonin is amazingly important, but so is sleep. Things need balance! So if ya can't sleep, might as well give it a shit, no harm done if it doesnt help you.

1-3mg is too much according to functional doctors.  Your body only makes mcg amounts on its own, not mg amounts.  However, taking melatonin orally causes your liver to metabolize most of it anyway.  Sublingual is the preferred way to take it. 

As you said, it is a hormone and is regulated as a prescription drug in most countries except the US where you can buy it OTC.  Many OTC forms are synthetic.

Daily supplementation of a hormone can lead to dependence as your body might stop making it if you take too much for too long?

In my experience, and from what I have seen on this forum over a few years, is that pretty much nothing works for sleep short of another Rx drug for most people early on in their withdrawal?  Rx drugs are always a dead end road as they all eventually quit working.

Melatonin is "safe" for occasional use according to current medical knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...
I always wanted to try it. I just started taking l-thiamin. I'll see how this works out while I'm tapering off xanax...or I try to do a lot physically to exhaust myself during the day. Thanks for the info :)

well, hope it works for you.  i have tried all of the herbals.  none really worked for me...however, i have friends that pass out immediately after taking it...so it might work...just depends on the person, i suppose.

I notice my anxiety keeps me up if i don't settle it.

Got dropped to 0.25 3 days ago, 2 nights ago i was restless and half awake all night, felt shit. Last night though i tried very hard to relax my body and mind and after about an hour i had a great night sleep.  ;D

Got dropped to 0.25 3 days ago, 2 nights ago i was restless and half awake all night, felt shit. Last night though i tried very hard to relax my body and mind and after about an hour i had a great night sleep.  ;D

If you can't sleep and something is on your mind regarding something that has to be done the next day, try writing that something down on a piece of paper. That will serve as a reminder that the something needs attending to in the morning and will free up your mind from worrying about it at night.

Can't tell from your signature if you are still on or not?  Your cuts were way too fast.  I did a cold turkey, but it is recommended not to cut more than 10% of your current dose every 2 weeks.  You were cutting 50% every week or two.  As you near the end of your taper, symptoms usually increase for most?  Sleep gets bad for most too.  After you are completely off, things will slowly improve but it is UP and DOWN for quite some time for most. 

our cuts were way too fast.

In your opinion. I didn't use benzos for that long, so spending an extra 6 months tapering seems like a waste of time to me. Instead i can just come off them earlier and maybe be healed by the time others are still painfully crawling to 0mg.

It's not my "opinion" as I didn't taper.  It what's highly recommended!

Cold turkey's generally lead to more intense symptoms and longer withdrawals. 

You might be one of the lucky ones that Benzos don't affect regardless of how you get off?

I only used Benzos 12 weeks and paid the price for my cold turkey.

Good luck!

It's not my "opinion" as I didn't taper.  It what's highly recommended!

Well damn, i've come this far i might as well finish it.

You might be one of the lucky ones that Benzos don't affect regardless of how you get off?

Fingers crossed, i can still eat and sleep well.  Feels pretty damn painful though. :o

I've ordered Puritan Pride Gummy Melatonin and L-Theamine. A doctor recommended the L-Theamine and melatonin, and as someone said above, even if it works I won't take it every night or I'll be in the same boat as I am with Valium--GABA and Dopamine isn't working naturally as I messed with it, or the drug did, and now it's all out of whack.