Sugar causing worse anxiety and insomnia?

[El...]

Hi everyone. Hope someone can help me understand this. Can eating sugar cause a rev up in anxiety, panic, nervous stomach and or worse insomnia? Wondering if there is a correlation between sugar and these symptoms un benzo wd. Please let me know what your experience has been with this.

Hi- yes sugar and anxiety are BEST FRIENDS. I tested the theory. I will go a long time without eating sugar and then when I do eat sugar Ill start feeling groggy and shakey, just the other day I treated myself to ice cream and I went to take a shower and had a full blown panic attack. I also had some juice and a piece of Halloween candy and was jumping out of my skin. Now natural sugar with fruits are iffy it affects some people but others like me it doesn’t affect. I can eat all the fruit in the world and be fine. I would stay away from sugar if I were you unless your anxiety isn’t excruciating or barely there. But if you decide to test it (since is the holidays and you know cookies are everywhere lol) eat alittle at a time!

Happy healing  :smitten:

Yes.. Sugar is bad, atleast for me. I've tested this back and forth because I was never sure if sugar was actually affecting me. After much experimenting, I have come to the conclusion that it absolutely does. It ALWAYS worsens my anxiety and it can last for a couple days, but it's especially bad at night. Everything from irrational fears, to feeling anxious, dread and racing, intrusive thoughts.. Sugar seems to ramp all of that up for me.

Personally, I don't feel big difference. I removed sugar from my diet because I am prone to weight gain, but can't precise am I feeling better or not. Or maybe that's why I'm feeling somehow ok, so maybe it somehow works for me