Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Recovered a while ago, forgot to post my success story

[sa...]

Hey everyone, I don't think I ever posted in here after I recovered, so I wanted to come back and post about what helped me. I took klonopin for a grand total of 2 months, quit cold turkey, and went through withdrawals for 8 long months. I recovered early last year (2017).

I tried a LOT of supplements during benzo withdrawal. These are the few things that actually helped me:

Inositol was the first supplement I stumbled upon that made a huge difference. Our bodies lose a lot of vitamins and minerals while going through withdrawal, and I was apparently really low on B vitamins. For some reason, inositol (B8) got rid of my tinnitus and dramatically reduced my brainfog after just a few doses. Those issues didn't return after I stopped taking it.

The next thing that really helped was magnesium spray. Magnesium is lost when we're stressed, so you lose a LOT of mag in withdrawal. I basically slathered the stuff all over my body (bottoms of feet is supposedly the best place) and a calm washed over me. I continued to use it fairly regularly until I recovered but, like the inositol, it was most effective the first few times that I used it.

Next was vitamin C. I experimented with megadosing it before going to bed, and it helped me wake up less frequently. I would take at least 10 grams. Experiment and see what works for you. The worst that will happen is you'll get diarrhea when you've taken more than your body needs.

The most helpful sleep aid, though, was phosphatidylserine. I took 400mg of it every night (it gets kind of expensive at that dose, but it was so helpful) and it really helped keep me asleep. You've got to figure out how to get some sleep so your body can heal at night.

And, here's what I'm doing now:

• A few months after I recovered from benzo withdrawal, I quit caffeine...and promptly went through another 3 months of withdrawals. (AHHHH.) Please, if you haven't quit caffeine yet, just do it. I promise it's only making your benzo withdrawals worse.
  • I also completely quit alcohol (partly because I would be too tempted to drink caffeine after drinking the night before)
  • I still take 400mg of phosphatidylserine before bed. It's extremely helpful for keeping cortisol down so I can sleep through the night
  • I've been experimenting with lithium orotate - it's very calming. You only need a small amount (5mg a day). I'm still trying to decide if I want to keep taking this since it honestly kind of reminds me of benzos; it calms me down so quickly and then I feel tempted to take more. But, it's supposed to be very safe (and good for you) if you don't take more than 5mg a day. It's neuroprotective and helps get B12 into your cells.

Anyway, at this point, I think the only supplement I really *need* to take daily is phosphatidylserine. Otherwise I should just stay far far away from caffeine and alcohol, and exercise regularly (running).

Also, this isn't something that I personally took during benzo withdrawal, but I'm curious if this could help you all: NAC. It's a precursor to glutathione, which detoxes your liver. Maybe give it a shot. It's supposed to be great for anxiety, especially OCD. Jarrow sells a slow-release NAC.

Good luck to you all. Stay strong.

Thanks for posting, Sadge56.

It is always nice to hear about other's success.

I appreciate that you shared your thoughts about the supplements.  I tried to steer clear of most supplements during the majority my taper, but increasingly I've become interested in learning about them; (and even trying some!)  I also appreciate that you explained what you like about the ones that you recommend.  Thank you!

• 1 year later...
Good for you! Our stories are very similar... I c/t off 4months klonopin and have had the same issues as you. I am currently 4 months 13 days off and my major Symptoms is Tinnitus & Very bad shaking. I am actually considering taking Inositol for my tinnitus because it worked for you! Hope it heals mine like it did yours.

Thanks for posting! We need these stories!

Gotta say we all respond differently for sure - Phosphatydlserine - I CANNOT take that. tried it and I felt like I was having a heart attack - woke me out of a dead sleep and I suffered for hrs. Glad it worked for you.

Also caffiene..not sure how you did that either.. I have too much anxiety for that. Even decaf revs me up! (Sad bc I miss my coffee...).

Thanks for the tip on extended release Mag...I noticed bowel frequency with the regular one, although it does have a calming effect.

Keep us posted:)

Congratz! We have similar stories. I c/t off klonopin as well I used it for 4 months... I was wondering what dose you used on Inositol? I just ordered mine I am hoping it heals my tinnitus as it healed yours. Again very happy to hear you overcame this.

Hey everyone, I don't think I ever posted in here after I recovered, so I wanted to come back and post about what helped me. I took klonopin for a grand total of 2 months, quit cold turkey, and went through withdrawals for 8 long months. I recovered early last year (2017).

I tried a LOT of supplements during benzo withdrawal. These are the few things that actually helped me:

Inositol was the first supplement I stumbled upon that made a huge difference. Our bodies lose a lot of vitamins and minerals while going through withdrawal, and I was apparently really low on B vitamins. For some reason, inositol (B8) got rid of my tinnitus and dramatically reduced my brainfog after just a few doses. Those issues didn't return after I stopped taking it.

The next thing that really helped was magnesium spray. Magnesium is lost when we're stressed, so you lose a LOT of mag in withdrawal. I basically slathered the stuff all over my body (bottoms of feet is supposedly the best place) and a calm washed over me. I continued to use it fairly regularly until I recovered but, like the inositol, it was most effective the first few times that I used it.

Next was vitamin C. I experimented with megadosing it before going to bed, and it helped me wake up less frequently. I would take at least 10 grams. Experiment and see what works for you. The worst that will happen is you'll get diarrhea when you've taken more than your body needs.

The most helpful sleep aid, though, was phosphatidylserine. I took 400mg of it every night (it gets kind of expensive at that dose, but it was so helpful) and it really helped keep me asleep. You've got to figure out how to get some sleep so your body can heal at night.

And, here's what I'm doing now:

• A few months after I recovered from benzo withdrawal, I quit caffeine...and promptly went through another 3 months of withdrawals. (AHHHH.) Please, if you haven't quit caffeine yet, just do it. I promise it's only making your benzo withdrawals worse.
  • I also completely quit alcohol (partly because I would be too tempted to drink caffeine after drinking the night before)
  • I still take 400mg of phosphatidylserine before bed. It's extremely helpful for keeping cortisol down so I can sleep through the night
  • I've been experimenting with lithium orotate - it's very calming. You only need a small amount (5mg a day). I'm still trying to decide if I want to keep taking this since it honestly kind of reminds me of benzos; it calms me down so quickly and then I feel tempted to take more. But, it's supposed to be very safe (and good for you) if you don't take more than 5mg a day. It's neuroprotective and helps get B12 into your cells.

Anyway, at this point, I think the only supplement I really *need* to take daily is phosphatidylserine. Otherwise I should just stay far far away from caffeine and alcohol, and exercise regularly (running).

Also, this isn't something that I personally took during benzo withdrawal, but I'm curious if this could help you all: NAC. It's a precursor to glutathione, which detoxes your liver. Maybe give it a shot. It's supposed to be great for anxiety, especially OCD. Jarrow sells a slow-release NAC.

Good luck to you all. Stay strong.

Thank you for coming back and sharing your healing. Please keep updating.

• 1 month later...