Going from pills to liquid diazepam

[sa...]

I've been on diazepam for 18 years and I created this account over 4 years ago for help getting off my last 2mg having slowly tapered that far but I didn't persist and have been on 2mg diazepam since then. I did make another account 2 years ago to try again but I can't remember the user name or email I used. It was luck I found this account. My second attempt didn't last either, I have drinking problems and I'd recently relapsed so it was the wrong time.  I've been sober for over a year now and finally decided to get off the last 2mg

My doctor agreed to prescribe me liquid diazepam so I can taper slowly and I've got the Actavis 2mg/5ml oral solution (I am in the UK).

I started taking the liquid on Thursday, I haven't made a cut yet, I've just been taking 5ml a night, but last night I started having withdrawal symptoms, shaking, tremors, feeling weak, anxiety, sensory sensitivity, irritability, can't think straight.  Today I feel absolutely terrible.  From searching on here, it seems this has happened to other people too when switching to an oral version.

I don't have any tablets left so I've no choice but to carry on with the liquid for now.  I hope this will pass soon  I won't make any cuts until I feel steady. I've thought about increasing the dose a bit, but I'm really reluctant to take more diazepam in case I end up on an increased dose for a long time. 

My plan is once I'm steady to cut at a rate of 0.05ml every day (1% of the initial dose)  Does that sound OK? 

I've been on diazepam for 18 years and I created this account over 4 years ago for help getting off my last 2mg having slowly tapered that far but I didn't persist and have been on 2mg diazepam since then. I did make another account 2 years ago to try again but I can't remember the user name or email I used. It was luck I found this account. My second attempt didn't last either, I have drinking problems and I'd recently relapsed so it was the wrong time.  I've been sober for over a year now and finally decided to get off the last 2mg

My doctor agreed to prescribe me liquid diazepam so I can taper slowly and I've got the Actavis 2mg/5ml oral solution (I am in the UK).

I started taking the liquid on Thursday, I haven't made a cut yet, I've just been taking 5ml a night, but last night I started having withdrawal symptoms, shaking, tremors, feeling weak, anxiety, sensory sensitivity, irritability, can't think straight.  Today I feel absolutely terrible.  From searching on here, it seems this has happened to other people too when switching to an oral version.

I don't have any tablets left so I've no choice but to carry on with the liquid for now.  I hope this will pass soon  I won't make any cuts until I feel steady. I've thought about increasing the dose a bit, but I'm really reluctant to take more diazepam in case I end up on an increased dose for a long time. 

My plan is once I'm steady to cut at a rate of 0.05ml every day (1% of the initial dose)  Does that sound OK?

Hi sarsaparilla1-

Congrats on 1 year of sobriety!

It is common for many to experience increased symptoms when switching from tablets to liquid. This is more than likely due to they way we individually metabolize medications. Since Valium is highly lipid soluble, I would suggest trying to mix your dose with a food high in fat such as almond butter to help slow the digestion process. This may or may not help, but well worth a try... consider this....

Waiting until you feel more stable is wise.

The reduction rate you propose sounds like a good starting point. Do what ever works best for you :thumbsup:

Hi sarsaparilla1-

Congrats on 1 year of sobriety!

It is common for many to experience increased symptoms when switching from tablets to liquid. This is more than likely due to they way we individually metabolize medications. Since Valium is highly lipid soluble, I would suggest trying to mix your dose with a food high in fat such as almond butter to help slow the digestion process. This may or may not help, but well worth a try... consider this....

Waiting until you feel more stable is wise.

The reduction rate you propose sounds like a good starting point. Do what ever works best for you :thumbsup:

Hmmm.. -Good suggestion Bella :)

Sars, I hope it settles for you quickly.. Please keep us updated...

:)