Why us?

[...]

Does anyone know if there's been any research---or even theories---as to why some of us suffer so in withdrawal from benzos?  I've heard genetics is behind it, but no explanation for what that really means.  Are there personality differences?  I truly don't think I'm an addictive personality, yet I an terribly "dependent" on Klonopin.  Why me and not so many others who've been on as long, or at as high a dose, and don't have problems getting off?  Why do doctors see so many of those and so few of us?  No wonder they don't believe we could be suffering so.  Thoughts?  ~~mbr

I know I don't have an addictive personality. I smoked on and off for like 16 years and quit CT with no problems...I don't even think about smoking. I've even taken Xanax in the past and didn't get hooked. Now I did get hooked on amphetamines but the withdrawal lasted maybe 6 hours and it was nothing.

I don't feel like I was psychologically dependent on the ativan, I mean, when I didn't have it, I didn't crave it. I just know that when I stopped, I felt HORRIBLE!!! Of course ativan don't have a feel good factor like Xanax or Klon.

It could very well be genetic..my aunt didn't have trouble tapering her ativan, like me..but when she didn't have it for 2 days.....

I believe there are so many reasons why this happens. I think that there are physiological and genetical causes on why some people have problems ,and some others don't. I don't have an addictive personality , I never smoked, and I have always drank in moderation . I quit that with no problem. But I think I have the underlying problem that I do think the Lorazepam will be there if I have a problem ( anxiety or whatever) so in my case , I don't crave it , but I get anxious if I won't be able to have it if needed. So that is not good and I am working to think differently . It is something that I have to admit.

I have zero psychological addiction to Klonopin..in fact I hate it... :) But as Cupcake said, I knew I couldn't just cold turkey or even rapid taper...due to the bad withdrawal...so it was tough tapering slowly....taking a dose of what I considered "poison nightly"....there were many times when I wanted to throw those little green monsters in the trash...

TC

I have zero psychological addiction to Klonopin..in fact I hate it... :) But as Cupcake said, I knew I couldn't just cold turkey or even rapid taper...due to the bad withdrawal...so it was tough tapering slowly....taking a dose of what I considered "poison nightly"....there were many times when I wanted to throw those little green monsters in the trash...

TC

TC, I could have written that myself.  Every time I take a dose, I glance at the toilet and am so tempted to flush them.  I feel like I'm poisoning myself and NEVER have a craving---no feeling of needing my next dose either, as I get no relief when I take it anyway.  L., ~~mbr  P.S. For how long did you take only one dose a day of the Klon?

• 3 weeks later...

It took me forever to answer this..and I apologize..

I took a single dose of Klonopin daily for about five months....and then i started splitting the doses to avoid interdose withdrawal....

Btw..Klonopin sucks :)

TC

Indeed, it does suck.  And, no apologies required. Thanks for the info. Wouldn't you think with the long half life of Klon that you wouldn't have interdose w/d?  Since I never "feel" a dose anyway, and there's no relief from them, I wonder if I would feel any interdose w/d either.  Hmmmm....

• 2 weeks later...
Genetics, irregular GABA systems, anxiety problems, and also the risk goes up for higher doses/how long you've been on it... plus who knows how many other factors there are.  My first time wasn't bad at all, but this one has been nasty.  If I had had any trouble quitting xanax the first time I would never touched benzos again... so it even varies within the same person.