Benzos and mental illness

[Su...]

Does anyone know if benzos brings out latent mental illness? Is there any articles about this someone can link them here. Let’s discuss this burning question that’s been looping in my hypochondriac,anxious and paranoid mind.

Sunshine :smitten:

Hi Sunshine

I have a feeling that this may be a controversial topic but from what I've been told, it is a definite no.

It's funny, prior to and during meds the professionals ( and I use that term loosely ) gave me three different diagnosis and they were all incorrect. I never had a mental illness despite they're assurances of such and they're assurances of the drugs resolving my issues. They were very very wrong.

Going through withdrawal though however I have been at times very tempted to start agreeing with their bull dust diagnosis because it makes you feel ( and maybe you are temporarily) that you  are definitely mentally ill.

Again, I have been assured that it doesn't happen.

Does anyone know if benzos brings out latent mental illness? Is there any articles about this someone can link them here. Let’s discuss this burning question that’s been looping in my hypochondriac,anxious and paranoid mind.

I would say anything is possible when you take a mind altering drug, it will depend on the individual.  I became extremely unwell after being prescribed Nitrazepam in 1975 but did not realise it was a paradoxical reaction and within two months I was suicidal for the first time.  This led to further deterioration in mental health.  I believe the mental health issues were already there waiting to emerge, the benzo acted as a catalyst for what happened next and I spent many years being very unwell.  I don't have any links or references only my personal experience and views others have shared with me.  You will be the best judge of your own personal experiences.

Hi Sunshine l don't believe it can.Now l have had an anxiety disorder for 30 +years however l used diazepam for sleep and as the years passed l noticed my disorder changing and OCD starting to emerge also agitation and agoraphobia.

Now on top of that there was boatiness, depression l could go on but l won't.l realize that it is all due to benzos and am perfectly sure when l get off these drugs and let enough time pass the symptoms may settle down.

I do think withdrawal can certainly cause depression as it can be soul destroying however l don't think it causes any mental health issues if you are not predisposed to them.

A recall an old phrase in the PI sheet of a benzo stating that a previously unrecognized depression can become manifest, and has to be treated accordingly. With an antidepressant, of course ...

And in the PI sheets of antidepressants you'd probably see that the emergence of a manic episode can be a sign of an underlying bipolar illness, which has to be treated accordingly. Or similar phrases ... Who do you believe ? ...

What's considered mental illness by some is not considered mental illness by others.  Physiological suffering is just that. 

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I guess I must have always had anxiety but I managed it “well” I guess? I just hate the agoraphobia so much, I wouldn’t wish this on anyone

• 3 weeks later...

I never had a mental illness despite they're assurances of such and they're assurances of the drugs resolving my issues. They were very very wrong.

Good for you.  I sincerely admire your backbone in regards to knowing yourself better than others assume to know you.

Less Stigma = More Meds, Ellen Vora, MD - Holistic Psychiatrist