Can you help me with a titration schedule?

[la...]

Can you please help me with a titration schedule?  I currently take 6 tablets of ativan (3 mg) once a day at bedtime.  I would like to cut by five percent every week.  I can get whatever cylinder is best.  100ml with all of the markings?  I live right by a university so should be no problem.

Thank you very VERY much.

Emily

Oh and start date is July 7th.  On July 7th I can make a dry cut from 6 to 5.75 and then after that on July 13th I would like to begin titrating schedule so that I can reduce slowly and evenly.  Thank you!!!

Hi Lakesound,

At this point, early in your taper, it's not neccessary to do a titration, though I don't know your history or if you have had trouble tapering in the past. If not, you can reduce by fairly small amounts, just by dry cutting. 5% of 3mg is 0.15mg. You can cut your 0.5mg pill in quarters and make 0.125mg doses. Pretty close to 5%. Of course, as you taper, your percent will grow.  But you should be able to do that pretty comfortably for awhile, maybe even all the way down.

But if you would still like to do a titration now, we can do that for you. Yes, a 100ml cylinder with 1ml increments. Having a syringe is helpful. Let us know!    

I just have had problems tapering in the past.  I get down to four tablets or so and mess up and go back up to six.  I don't want to do that anymore and was thinking a consistent 5% cut would be good.  I think a quarter of one of the tablets is only 5% for the first cut and then it is higher than that, 8% or something.  Anyway, yes, I think I would like to do a titration after that very first cut of one quarter of one tablet. 

In this titration business I can actually take whole the tablets that I am working with, correct?  I only have to crush up and mix one tablet?  If I have to crush up all six of them that might be a bit much.  My doctor wants me tapering off of this stuff and likes it when I need less and less pills from her. 

Thank you!

You can do it either way:

Method 1: Mix all 6 pills (3mg) with 100mls of liquid. Make this same mixture up every day. Crush your pills and mix thoroughly.

Day 1: Remove 1/2 an ml. Drink remaining.  

Day 2: Remove 1ml, Drink remaining

Day 3: Remove 1 1/2ml. Drink remaining

Day 4: Remove 2mls. Drink remaining.....

Keep going like this, each day removing 1/2 an ml more. It will take you 200 days to come off. This is a 5% taper rate. Alternately, you can remove 1ml every other day. Still the same rate.

Method 2

Mix 1 pill (0.5mg) with 100mls of liquid.  Make this same mixture up every day. Remove 3mls a day, cumulatively.

Day 1: Remove 3mls. Drink remaining

Day 2: Remove 6mls. Drink remaining

Day 3: Remove 9 mls. Drink remaining.....

.....etc.  Each of your 6 pills will take 33 days to taper off of, totaling 198 days. Same 5% rate.

Make sure to keep a notebook to keep track of your cuts.

Let us know if that makes sense!  

Lakesound ,  I believe Eljay means to say in method 2 .  you could start by swallowing  5 of the .5 mg. tablets totaling 2.5 mg.  then mix up your 6th .5 mg. pill in the 100 ml. of liquid and throw away 3 ml.  day one and drink the rest .  day 2 take the 2.5 mg. of drug and throw away 6 ml. of your .5 mg. solution in 100ml. of liquid , continueing this till after 33 days you have reduced your first .5 mg. of the drug. 

Once you have thrown away all of the first .5 mg. pill you are mixing in the 100 ml. of liquid , you would start the next 33 days by swallowing 4  of the .5 mg tablets then crush the 5th .5 mg. tablet into your 100 ml. of liquid and restart the throw aways of 3 ml. per day till that .5 mg. tablet is gone.

Hope I am not confusing you. and Eljay, if I am not seeing something here jump right back in.  ( it is late here in upstate ny  lol)

st

Lakesound ,  I believe Eljay means to say in method 2 .   you could start by swallowing  5 of the .5 mg. tablets totaling 2.5 mg.  

st

Yes, ST, that is what I meant.

.....etc.  Each of your 6 pills will take 33 days to taper off of, totaling 198 days.

I guess I was thinking that part was obvious, but I should have included it, sorry!  :laugh:

Thanks for straightening it out.  

SO COOL!  It is kind of odd that I am excited about this!  Thank you!

Not odd at all. I was very excited about starting my taper, and it made it much more tolerable. You are off to a good start!