Should I do another hospitalization? Impossible choice.

[88...]

1 - I’m indescribably grateful to have found BB.

2 - A longer, more detailed post is coming.

3 - For now, I face an ugly decision. Long story short, after 3mg Klonopin for 2.5 years and some dangerously ignorant/mismanaged tapering, I’m now on 25mg Librium and determined to see 0. I just had basically a “third opinion” with a new psych (this one actually seems informed and compassionate; very disorienting) and he thinks I should do the rest of the taper inpatient. In “4-5 days.”

The last time I did a voluntary/premeditated taper — less than 3 months ago — they took me from 3mg Klonopin to 0.5 in a week. As a result I had a manic episode shortly after. I don’t have to tell you the taper was too fast.

After 3 psych hospitalizations I strongly feel they did more harm than good. It’s actually a nightmare to consider putting myself through that again.

On the other hand, if New Psych is right and this would be safe with hospital supervision, wouldn’t a few days of hell be better than the weeks and weeks ahead of me?

Thanks so much for your thoughts.

Imo, and i've been through a hospital detox, this is exactly the same as a cold turkey.  There is no way one can properly taper in just a few days.

So, your doctor doesn't sound very informed to me.  Here was my experience of a 4 day hospital detox:

Although I've never been in a mental hospital, I have been to a voluntary hospital detox, sent there by a well meaning but clueless doctor to get off xanax.  It was only 4 days, but it was awful.  I don't recommend this to anyone.  Far from being an "easy" way to get off benzos, as some seem to think, it's literally going from the frying pan into the fire for most of us who've experienced it:

Nine years ago, I went to a major Seattle hospital for "detox" where the doctor was supposed to be a "benzo expert."  He wasn't, and I only saw him for a few minutes the whole time.  All they did was cold turkey me off a high dose of xanax, feed me, and monitor my blood pressure for 4 days.  I was the only benzo person on a floor full of alcoholics, and there was NO follow up treatment or counseling.  Price: $16,000 (2009).  Afterwards, I had hellish relentless symptoms that never stopped.  These were so bad that I reinstated 4 months later, only to taper off a few years later.  I'd kindled by then, and it 2.5 years for me to heal.

:smitten:

I completely agree with Megan. I too went into a Detox and was simply cold turkied, without even any meds for OTHER WD symptoms. It was a nightmare and I normally do not tell anyone to go into a facility for benzo WD.

88, you have come a long way, and you deserve to do it at YOUR own pace and YOUR own decision. I learned the hard way to not trust doctors anymore. Being an RN, I used to think doctors "knew it all." Well, about benzos, VERY few doctors know the entire truth.

You are much better off staying with your own plan for tapering, using whatever guidelines seem to suit you the best. Whatever you decide, you MIGHT have more symptoms of WD, but I can tell you it is worth it. Read my Success Story: this will prove all of this to you.

Eastcoast's Trip

east :smitten:

I've been in-patient to several mental wards, trust me you don't want what I have experienced and still experiencing from, sorry my PTSD is kicking in.

1 - I’m indescribably grateful to have found BB.

2 - A longer, more detailed post is coming.

3 - For now, I face an ugly decision. Long story short, after 3mg Klonopin for 2.5 years and some dangerously ignorant/mismanaged tapering, I’m now on 25mg Librium and determined to see 0. I just had basically a “third opinion” with a new psych (this one actually seems informed and compassionate; very disorienting) and he thinks I should do the rest of the taper inpatient. In “4-5 days.”

The last time I did a voluntary/premeditated taper — less than 3 months ago — they took me from 3mg Klonopin to 0.5 in a week. As a result I had a manic episode shortly after. I don’t have to tell you the taper was too fast.

After 3 psych hospitalizations I strongly feel they did more harm than good. It’s actually a nightmare to consider putting myself through that again.

On the other hand, if New Psych is right and this would be safe with hospital supervision, wouldn’t a few days of hell be better than the weeks and weeks ahead of me?

Thanks so much for your thoughts.

Hey 88, -Welcome..

I also would suggest taking your time.. There is no quick fix, but there sure is the lesser of two evils..

There have been many threads on this, -If you feel up to having a play with the search function...

"Come... -said the spider to the fly" springs to mind...

If you have a continued supply of medication from which to taper, and the time your body needs, then you are all set to beat this the correct way...

The more you can let your symptoms (SX) guide your taper rate the better, IMO..

But I understand this might be a little tricky if you have gotten to a lowish dose with significantly  increased SX... But if things are absolutely unbearable, there may be some options you can explore such as Holding or adjusting your dose a little.. No magic cures, but personally I would explore these over a CT Detox...

Best wishes..

:)

I detoxed inpatient over close to a month with comprehensive psych/med care. It worked out but it was very hard. 4 days is basically a CT and there will be no other psych/med support imo. Not sure that this is a great idea, but best of luck. If you do choose this route, be mentally prepared and confident.